Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Everton Irish and Opposition Irish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts

Everton Irish and Opposition Irish

Thought Coleman was fantastic today for the Toffees.
    Here's to hoping this thread has a long and successful lifespan!
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It's started well!

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Yes I watched the end of the match when McCarthy came on, he had a steady start as Everton defended their
    lead, no heroics required really. Coleman didn't put a foot wrong in defence and created really problems
    when he ventured down the left, a bit too hot to handle. Darren Gibson is due to come back from injury
    soon, and as they have also signed Gareth Barry competition for a midfield spot looks pretty fierce.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Gibson: Me can nail regular spot if me stay healthy.
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...ng-from-injury

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Gibson: Me can nail regular spot if me stay healthy.
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...ng-from-injury
    Me think he has work cut out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Would anyone grab McCarthy at 30-1 to score vs Newcastle? I love prop bets. Why not?
    Also Seamus likes Roberto:
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/foo...ton-s-Euro-bid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I only saw the second half of the game last night but McCarthy was the best I've seen him for a while. I have today's repeat recorded so I'll watch the first half to see how he did when Everton played their best stuff.

Coleman was outstanding again, absolutely bullied Gouffran for the most part bar one time when Gouffran got inside him with a nice bit of skill.

High praise for both amongst the Everton support here-

Gibson wasn't even in the squad - did he pick up another knock since playing in the League Cup?

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    high praise from the BBC analysis of last nights game here...

Full-backs pour forward for Everton
    There were other Everton players helping to feed Lukaku too.

Mirallas was also playing off him, but more as a winger - on the right in the first half and the left in the second. It was his cross that led to Lukaku's first goal.

And it was from the wide areas that they kept on driving forwards. Martinez sent his full-backs Leighton Baines and Seamus Coleman charging on.

Baines deservedly gets the headlines because of his ability from set-pieces but Coleman deserves more credit for his hard work in attack and defence down the other flank.

Individually, there are better right-backs than him but, as a pair, Everton have the best two in the Premier League. He and Baines complement each other and their industry and attitude suits their team.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I didnt see the whole game but what i did see ****ed me off about mccarthy he did exactly what we needed him to do against sweden and austria but he never stepped up to the plate, yesterday he was like a man possessed at times. I've not been impressed with his irish performances in general, I'm begining to wonder if his heart is really in it, because he has put in some very good performances in the premiership, yet I can't recall anyone in a green shirt at anywhere near the same level. He has been neat and tidy but thats about it.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I'm begining to wonder if his heart is really in it
    If his heart isn't in it, why would he bother showing up? I think the tactics Trap employed made all our midfield players look anaemic. We'll see how he plays under new instructions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah I think you're jumping the gun a bit there Paul. His performance has to be put in some kind of perspective. He's still pretty new to the international setup, certainly in a playing sense. He was our motm away to the Faroes, granted they were poor opposition but it was a high pressure game a few days after the Germany rout, and another accomplished performance in Stockholm. His interviews have been impressive also with TOD trying to lead him into giving out about Trap, but he always went over and above merely defending the manager - not really a sign of a guy whose heart isn't in it.

Everton were completely dominant against Newcastle, it was a high tempo game and he had decent options every time he received possession. Being neat and tidy in this kind of scenario is always going to be more fruitful, in a creative sense, than in a game where nobody is really looking to receive possession. He did have a couple strong looking tackles which I haven't really seen from him at either club or international level, long may it continue.

13. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    high praise from the BBC analysis of last nights game here...

Full-backs pour forward for Everton
    There were other Everton players helping to feed Lukaku too.

Mirallas was also playing off him, but more as a winger - on the right in the first half and the left in the second. It was his cross that led to Lukaku's first goal.

And it was from the wide areas that they kept on driving forwards. Martinez sent his full-backs Leighton Baines and Seamus Coleman charging on.

Baines deservedly gets the headlines because of his ability from set-pieces but Coleman deserves more credit for his hard work in attack and defence down the other flank.

Individually, there are better right-backs than him but, as a pair, Everton have the best two in the Premier League. He and Baines complement each other and their industry and attitude suits their team.
    Who, though? I'm racking my brains thinking of an example in the Premier League but there aren't any names coming to mind. Anybody can look back on my posts in the Coleman thread and see how reticent I've been to praise him, but there's no right back in the league who you could say really stands out. I'd say Zabaleta is the best overall, but he's more dependability than individual talent. Kyle Walker? Ivanovic? Rafael was taken apart tonight in Donetsk. There's no proper standout player in the Lahm mould. Coleman is as good as any of them. If there was a better player, a top team would have bought him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Coleman is up to 19th in the stats rankings, Arsenal hold the top 3 spots, Everton have 4 in the top 20, Man U only have 1 player in the top 40, Rooney at 31st.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Aren't those rankings based on statistics, tricky?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Not sure, I think they might be pulling the names out of a hat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Hee Hee. In some dank basement somewhere, with little light. And now at two we have....oooh, Frank Lampard. Damn it Jerry, you dropped the hat again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Macca leading MOTM voting with a whopping 6 votes at press time.
    http://www.toffeetalk.com/index.php?...h-at-man-city/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

Taxi for McGeady: Everton’s Irish Story

“He’s English on the outside, but, pure Irish on the inside.” The elderly woman in the ‘Western’ pub in Liverpool was referring to her grandson, Wayne Rooney. Most are Toffees in this part of Merseyside and Aiden McGeady’s arrival at Goodison Park to bolster the green contingent is a reminder that traditionally Everton were the Irish club in the city. The common football phrase “Taxi for” even owes its origins to a former Irish manager.

Patricia Fitzsimons sat at a small table in the Western Approaches pub near Scotty Road in Liverpool with economist David McWilliams. She took him through a journey of the Irish names in the area, names that were reflected in the footballing giants in the city, like Murphy, Carragher and McManamen. Wayne Rooney’s family boasts Irish connections on both sides stretching back four generations.

The area around Scotland Road close to the city’s docks, as McWilliams writes in his book The Pope’s Children, became a home for the Liverpool Irish. In the late 19th Century, they consistently voted an Irish Home Rule MP into the House of Commons.

The influx of emigrants following the Famine means Liverpool boasts the oldest Irish community in Britain. Despite the popularity in more modern times of their red rivals on this side of the Irish Sea, the Everton area in particular became a district populated by these migrants, the majority of whom were Roman Catholic.

The two football teams in the city were never really divided along religious lines. The original Everton, from whom Liverpool FC sprouted, were formed as St Domingo’s from the Methodist Church, but the blue side of the city became noted for attracting Irish support.

“During the 1950s and 60s the Toffees gained a reputation as the ‘Catholic club’ as a result of popular Irish players such as Tommy Eglington, Peter Farrell and Jimmy O’Neill as well as manager Johnny Carey”
    It was Ronnie Whelan’s arrival at Anfield, along with other Irish internationals like Steve Heighway and Mark Lawrenson, that coincided with a phenomenally successful period for Everton’s rivals from across Stanley Park. Liverpool became the dominant force in English football and a heavyweight in Europe. More Irish flocked to the club as the sons of those emigrants like Ray Houghton and John Aldridge became stars in an all-conquering Reds team, and subsequently in the history-making Republic side that made its bow on the world stage.

Jack Charlton became synonymous with exploiting the ‘granny rule’ by significantly tapping into that resource of the Irish diaspora in Britain.

Another key-member of Big Jack’s pioneering Boys in Green was the son of a Clare man, Kevin Sheedy. He’s considered by many as the best left-footer in Everton’s history, playing 223 games and scoring 62 goals for the club from 1982-1988. In fact Sheedy initially signed for Liverpool from Hereford United and made 5 appearances for the Anfield club, scoring twice.

Sheedy was then at the centre of a transfer tribunal in August 1982 that valued the player at £100,000 and he was sold to Everton. The midfielder appeared 46 times for Ireland forever etching his name in the history books for his equalising strike against England on June 12, 1990 in Cagliari, the Republic’s first ever goal at a World Cup finals. Sheedy was also on the scoresheet in the famous penalty-shoot-out victory over Romania, bravely stepping up to fire Ireland’s first spot-kick emphatically to the net.

Sheedy was a two-time league winner with Everton, also winning the European Cup Winners Cup, scoring in the final, and the FA Cup.
    The now 54-year-old recently won his battle with bowel cancer, and is a coach at the Everton academy. In February 2013 he was inducted into the Republic of Ireland Hall of Fame.

Goodison Park has been home to many Irish players through the years. Billy Lacey played for both Liverpool and Everton. Martin O’Neill’s goalkeeping coach Seamus McDonagh, and Ireland’s first international manager Mick Meegan also lined out, while in more recent times players such as Terry Phelan, Lee Carsley, Kevin Kilbane, and Richard Dunne have appeared for the Toffees.

The legendary Jackie Carey was a former player who managed the club from 1958-61. Despite leading them to fifth place in the league, their highest post-war position, rumours on Merseyside suggested that the recently-resigned Sheffield Wednesday manager Harry Catterick was being lined up as Carey’s replacement.

“During a London taxi drive with director John Moores, Carey requested clarification on his future and Moores infamously told the former Irish captain he was being replaced. The phrase ‘Taxi for (insert name),” now part of football parlance, is believed to have derived from this episode.

In September 1949 Goodison Park was the setting for one of Ireland’s most famous victories. A 2-0 win marked a first ever defeat for England on home-soil by a foreign side. A Con Martin penalty and a second half goal from Peter Farrell, scoring on his club home ground, sealed the triumph.

As a side-note, Dixie Dean, the most prolific goalscorer in English football history, reversed the trend of players crossing the Irish sea, with a famous cameo in Sligo, still talked about to this day. Dean played 11 times for Rovers in 1939. His presence inspired the Bit O’Red to their first FAI Cup final, and his ten goals fired them to runners-up spot in the league.

Aiden McGeady’s move to Goodison Park means he joins a growing Irish contingent that includes Seamus Coleman, James McCarthy, Darron Gibson, and Shane Duffy, (now on loan at Yeovil).

With Roberto Martinez’s side in real contention for a Champions League spot, Everton are becoming a focus for Irish fans, and no doubt the management.

The feel-good factor around the Irish national team following Martin O’Neill and Roy Keane’s appointments has been maintained by the form of Coleman and McCarthy. There is real hope that Ireland can claim a spot at Euro 2016 despite not even knowing the qualifying opponents yet.

It was a goal at a major tournament from a former Anfield star that stuck in the mind of an aspiring young Evertonian with Irish roots.The Celtic-supporting Wayne Rooney, whose son Kai owns an Irish replica kit, recalls watching Ray Houghton’s winner against Italy with his family.

“I have always remembered that goal. It was my first World Cup moment. Never forget it.”

Now a new band of Irish Evertonians are aiming to inspire the next generation by creating new memories, both at Goodison Park and potentially in France at the European Championship in two years time.

PÓG MO GOAL

Last edited by DeLorean; 13/01/2014 at 9:05 AM.

21. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Great to see so many Irish lads at Everton. Big fan of both clubs on Merseyside so hopefully a few Irish lads break through at Liverpool as well.

Still feel that there isn't much truth in the myth that Everton are the Irish club. I found most Scousers to be divided by family not religion and both red and blue were on the whole more disposed to Celtic than Rangers. Most scousers are of Irish catholic descent and while their Irish heritage has been dilluted over the years, most would happily cheer for Ireland (or most countries!!) against England.

My son is a big Liverpool fan from growing up there and I think this article which he showed me sums it all up for me.
    http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2013/1...ouse-in-order/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    current player of the season total.
    http://www.toffeetalk.com/index.php?...tch-v-norwich/
    Ross Barkley...131
    James McCarthy...104
    Tim Howard...98
    Seamus Coleman...98