Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts

Euro 2016 - now we've qualified

So we're there.

Lots of interesting questions now for the squad:

a) If Given is fit should he return?
    b) Is there a place for Robbie Keane in the squad?
    c) Arter and Judge - should they be given a chance to show what they've got in the pre-tournament friendlies.
    d) What is the solution at left back ?
    e) Should Walters be the No. 9 ?
    f) What role for McGeady ?
    g) Who are the two central defenders?
    h) You name more.....

The team for the opening game against Georgia was Forde (GK); Coleman, O'Shea, Wilson, Ward; Walters, Whelan, McCarthy (Meyler 90), Quinn (Brady 76), McGeady; Keane (C) (Long 76)

Only 4 of that team started against Bosnia - a team in transition.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    An extension of (d) is - where should Robbie Brady play? Wing or full back? Generally used at full-back in this campaign - but got a go on the wing in Bosnia and scored a lovely goal.

That'd then leave left-back just between Wilson and Ward I think? Keeping O'Shea in the centre alongside either Keogh or Clark.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    h) Can we get a psychologist in to explain why Brady can deliver absolutely lethal balls week in week out for Hull and now Norwich but has done so just once that I can think of for Ireland, against USA.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Apparently, Brady has more unsuccessful crosses than anyone else in the Premiership this season. So a mate was saying last night watching yet another ball fail to clear the first man. 22% success rate.

Can't find that online - but maybe last night wasn't an aberration as such.

And technically, he did still get an assist from a set-piece.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Apparently, Brady has more unsuccessful crosses than anyone else in the Premiership this season. So a mate was saying last night watching yet another ball fail to clear the first man. 22% success rate.

it was on football365 yesterday: http://www.football365.com/news/alex...e-stats-tables
    Most inaccurate crosses (total):
    Robbie Brady – Norwich (86 – 78% of crosses attempted)
    Marc Albrighton – Leicester City (79 – 79%)
    Dimitri Payet – West Ham (75 – 74%)
    Matt Ritchie – Bournemouth (71 – 77%)
    Dusan Tadic – Southampton (69 – 71%)
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    a) Given. No, squad at best. The 3 keepers in yesterday’s squad are the 3 I think should be brought to France. Edit: forgot about Westwood
    b) Robbie. Yes, squad player
    c) Arter & Judge yes. Keane mentioned Judge in his post-match interview last night
    d) Left back: I’d also like to see Cunningham tried. Brady is better there than he is left midfield. Looks the best option at the moment based on last night.
    e) McGeady: still a candidate if he’s getting game time. A substitute at worst, respectable chance of starting
    f) Walters is essential to this team
    g) CBs: Keogh and Clark deserve to stay for now
    h) Gibson & Meyler still have something to play for
    i) Hoolahan much less effective wide than centrally
    j) McClean is exasperating. If people think McGeady is frustrating this guy is worse. Daft fouls in daft places at daft times. I still kind of like him though.
    k) Whelan: the debate continues. Should he start in France?
    l) McCarthy: getting better?
    m) Hendrick: one of the big winners of this campaign.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 17/11/2015 at 9:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    a) To the squad - Yes. To the team - No.
    b) Yes
    c) Yes
    d) I'd like to see Cunningham get a go
    e) Stick with the status quo. If it ain't broke.
    f) On the bench
    g) Honestly not sure
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

He did, but blow me down, his set pieces were dire. We'd a free kick in the second half I thought he might score from. I don't think it cleared the wall.
    And I wouldn't quite read into the failed crosses thing. He's lethal from set-pieces and we need him showing that for Ireland. It worries me!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts

No. He'll be another year older and rustier, I'm afraid. Let Westwood, Randolph and Henderson fight it out. Randolph getting a good move away would be a positive.

I think so. Long, Walters, Murphy and Keane are the four. Would be difficult for someone like McGoldrick to justify moving into that four. A young player like Mason might put his hand up like Sadlier in 2002. It must have been tough having not been involved in either leg. He looked a little subdued post-match on the pitch. He still has something to offer in the dressing room and maybe on the pitch too.

c) Arter and Judge - should they be given a chance to show what they've got in the pre-tournament friendlies.

Definitely. Flexible midfield players who look to have quality. Can't ever have enough of those, in case of injury and suspension. They have a few campaigns in them and have improved sharply in the past few years. Hoolahan, Whelan, McCarthy and Hendrick are fairly concrete starters for now, I must say.

Jack Byrne could start to push on too and maybe a few more surprises: https://twitter.com/Jackb_8/status/666374723941621760

I prefer Brady further forward but he was excellent last night. Maybe Cunningham can push on.

Yes. We have goals with him and a 5 man midfield, it appears. Maybe try our hardest to get a partnership to blossom with Long? Or play the same shape as last night with Long replacing Murphy.

None.

Clark and O'Shea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    ts of interesting questions now for the squad:

Happy for him to be the third choice Gk. His experience around the squad would help.

Yes. If we are chasing a goal and going for it then bring him on.

Yes. Arter can replace Whelan.

For now keep Brady there.

No, keep him where he is. Shane Long is our number 9

f) What role for McGeady ? He needs to play games for his club.

Clark and Keogh. Stick with em.

h) You name more.....

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Brady was there or thereabouts as a starter at the beginning of this campaign, Hendricks has emerged from the rest of the pack of available midfielders and both have become firm first team starters and take the plaudits.

In a context that we have Wes fully fit and match sharp (dare I say - well rested) then Brady can do the wing back at LB. With Wes off the pitch we have a crucial technical deficiency in the middle if Brady is still at LB.
    Mo'N will say holding onto the ball is an issue but won't replace Wes with a player who can hold onto the ball. Brady is a more potent player for us in the middle or drifting into the middle. His wide midfield play loses a lot with his poor distribution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Now we've qualified there's definitely going to be a qualification retrospective on RTE over Christmas!
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    [QUOTE=OwlsFan;1849020]So we're there.

Lots of interesting questions now for the squad:

No way. Time to cut the cord there, would be best for both parties. Given's last tournament display was bad enough, and four years have passed.

Sure, but no guaranteed starts.

Sure, no problem with that.

Brady for me, I like the attacking option he provides.

Hell yes. As of right now, he has earned it.

Bench. Deal with it.

A fit O'Shea and Clark.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Brady was there or thereabouts as a starter at the beginning of this campaign, Hendricks has emerged from the rest of the pack of available midfielders and both have become firm first team starters and take the plaudits.

In a context that we have Wes fully fit and match sharp (dare I say - well rested) then Brady can do the wing back at LB. With Wes off the pitch we have a crucial technical deficiency in the middle if Brady is still at LB.
    Mo'N will say holding onto the ball is an issue but won't replace Wes with a player who can hold onto the ball. Brady is a more potent player for us in the middle or drifting into the middle. His wide midfield play loses a lot with his poor distribution.
    I think a real positive, even if we hadn't qualified, coming out of this campaign is the fact that Brady and Hendrick were bedded into the side and given the chances to make themselves mainstays, which they have been in 2015. They look like players who will be around for a long time as they marry technical ability with so much passion that international football really suits their skillsets.

And that's a positive going into the next campaign where, you have to admit, the opposition is lesser (even though less sides go through). It's re-assuring to see how positive O'Neill has been about Hendrick and Brady and how they've justified his faith. Who knows who could emerge in 2016. There are players like Richie Towell, Chris Forrester, Jack Byrne, Daniel Cleary, Greg Cunningham, Joe Mason, Josh Cullen, Alan Browne, Bradley Garmston, John Egan, Derrick Williams... The list could go on but all those lads have a chance and hopefully some can play themselves into the plans for 2016 and 2017.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Upon further reflection I probably wouldn't take Given. It would be letting the heart rule the head. It should probably be Randolph, Elliott & Westwood.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I think a real positive, even if we hadn't qualified, coming out of this campaign is the fact that Brady and Hendrick were bedded into the side and given the chances to make themselves mainstays, which they have been in 2015. They look like players who will be around for a long time as they marry technical ability with so much passion that international football really suits their skillsets.

And that's a positive going into the next campaign where, you have to admit, the opposition is lesser (even though less sides go through). It's re-assuring to see how positive O'Neill has been about Hendrick and Brady and how they've justified his faith. Who knows who could emerge in 2016. There are players like Richie Towell, Chris Forrester, Jack Byrne, Daniel Cleary, Greg Cunningham, Joe Mason, Josh Cullen, Alan Browne, Bradley Garmston, John Egan, Derrick Williams... The list could go on but all those lads have a chance and hopefully some can play themselves into the plans for 2016 and 2017.
    Two who could be added to the list would be Duffy and Hoban. While it may sound like heresy, I would rather see McGoldrick go than Robbie, more with an eye on the future than any other reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    I sat down tonight with pen and paper to try to come up with an rough idea of a potential squad (barring injuries etc). Came up with this.

Randolph
    Elliott
    Westwood

Coleman
    Christie
    O'Shea
    Keogh
    Clark
    Wilson
    Brady
    Ward/Cunningham

Whelan
    McCarthy
    Hendrick
    -
    McClean
    McGeady
    Hoolahan
    -

Walters
    Long
    Murphy
    Keane

I have 2 open spots. For an regular squad the first would have been Gibson, but with his injury record I think the risk of him picking up something in training and bringing us down to 22 isn't worth taking at a tournament. It's tough on him but there you have it. The place could go to any one of O'Kane, Quinn or Meyler, or the flexibility of Wilson to play in midfield could allow Duffy or Pearce in as an extra defender.

The other spot would have been Jack Grealish if he hadn't gone with England. As it is I'm looking for someone to cover Hoolahan. Arter, Judge and Byrne are the main candidates, but I'm leaning towards giving Byrne a chance in friendlies to claim the spot.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

19. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    We have seen the stats on Brady's crosses however he has made the 7th highest number of tackles (3.7 per game) in the Premiership.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I'd favour Westwood, Randolph and Elliot, in that order. Shay would be third-choice at best (if lucky enough to make the squad ahead of Forde too) and might be good for adding experience/morale-boosting, but we might as well include Kevin Kilbane if we're giving out places based on those criteria. Shay would be a liability if playing, so overall not worth the spot as a result. It's not as if he's playing regularly and he certainly isn't getting any more mobile. His distribution is laboured and he's very injury-prone now too. Great servant and an all-time legend, but t's time we moved on for good, I think. Wildcard mention for Ryan Meara; what's he doing nowadays?

Squad place for Robbie but not starting. I'd rather Robbie in the squad than Shay, as I think Robbie still has something to add beyond mere experience/leadership. Importantly though, Martin has shown there are goals in this team without Robbie. A possible post-Robbie goal drought is something we've been terrified about for years now as Robbie has entered the twilight period of a great career. Pity Walters is the wrong side of 30 too, mind. It's a 23-man squad for the finals, so that'd mean the likes of Doyle and McGoldrick probably missing out, if we take four strikers and Murphy is favoured (along with Long and Walters, obviously). Cox, Rooney and Stokes are other players who have been around preliminary squads of late. Any other options? Would the prospect of playing at the Euros encourage Bamford to commit to Ireland? (Nathan Redmond maybe another who would consider it very seriously? Although the idea of a "johnny-come-lately" coming in mightn't sit well with fans and players alike.)

c) Arter and Judge - should they be given a chance to show what they've got in the pre-tournament friendlies?
    Strong yes. It would be criminal not to give these guys game-time to see their worth and bed them in. They're creative and technically-able. These are things we will badly need. Wes will be 34 and we'll have three exceptionally tough games (at the very least) within the space of nine days. Give Richie Towell a chance as well, while we're at it. By the way, when will the friendlies be and how many will we have? There aren't any scheduled yet, unless I'm mistaken...

d) What is the solution at left back?
    It's a difficult one. It's long been a problem-area, but Brady has done well there (bar one poor performance, if I recall correctly) and adds an attacking threat. We should give Christie a try there in at least one friendly just to see how he manages as he has played there before. Let's see what Cunningham can offer too. Derrick Williams has also played left-back, although he's stronger centrally. Worth a selection for a friendly squad? Kyle Naughton can play left-back, although throwing another carrot his way would probably be contentious, even if we were desperate. He's 27 now and, as far as I know, has turned down the opportunity to play for us before.

e) Should Walters be the No. 9?
    Aye, why not? He's had a great campaign and has been pivotal to our success. He made the difference last night.

f) What role for McGeady?
    He badly needs to find a new club and regain full match fitness/sharpness, but he's too talented a player to simply discard. He's invaluable when his confidence is high. We even looked better when he came on in Warsaw towards the end of the game. He made a mess of one cross, but what would we have been saying had Keogh stuck his late header in one of the corners of the net rather than directing it straight at Fabianski? We shouldn't forget the moment of magic in Georgia either. He always has the potential to pull something like that out of nowhere. He's a great lad with great passion for the jersey too - which is part of why I really like him - but I admit they aren't selection-criteria priorities.

Clark and Keogh have done very well. I had no real fears or concerns and felt secure with them there - exceeded all expectations - although would maybe go with O'Shea over Keogh, just for the elder man's leadership and experience. (Keogh was over the moon last night in celebration and in the post-match interview, by the way; great to see.) We've been tight at the back all campaign though. Dunne's retirement had been a real worry, but we've coped well. Wilson, Pearce and Duffy are other options there. Has Shane O'Neill's development stalled? He's playing in Cyprus now.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts

no. Randolph is in situ, and deservedly. Westwood would be back-up, with Elliot or perhaps Lawlor 3rd with an eye to the future. If however come June Randolph has kicked little to nothing in anger for his club, Westwood should be a serious contender to start.

I don't see why not. Personally speaking, Walters and Long are our two striking options. After that, it's thin on the ground. Murphy, Doyle, Stokes and McGoldrick are the current strikers while Mason and Rooney, with possibly Madden and ginger Doyle there or thereabouts. It depends on the make-up of the 23 really.

Absolutely. We're one injury away from catastrophe (no different to many others). Judge is definitely a potential bolter for the Euro's, while Arter could be Hoolahan's replacement either during games, or in the long-run.

There is two ways to answer that - what isn't and what is....
    What isn't is Marc Wilson, Ciaran Clarke or John O'Shea.
    What is, can be answered a few ways:
    • A) Persist with Ward: very open to abuse
    • B) Persist with Brady: still cagey defensively, but changes the dynamic of the team playing from deep. Natural attacking instincts means the team is not as lop-sided with Coleman pushing on the right.
    • C) Develop Greg Cunningham.Accept his level, and work on him.
    • D) Change system to 3-3-3-1. Employ three cb's (any from O'Shea, Keogh, Clark, Wilson, Duffy), employ Brady & Coleman as wb's and then work from there.

Yes, without a doubt. We've said for a while we didn't have a lone striker who can score goals. we do.
    He has a role, and as possibly his biggest fan here, it upsets me to see his current plight. Still he is the single player in the squad who can take on players run with the ball and create a bit of magic. Needs out of Everton, and I'd suggest abroad. He could do wonders at the Euro's, but he could just as easily not see a minute. if he starts getting game time, it would strengthen the squad. His lack of realistic selection has probably forced O'Neill's hand in terms of team shape, which has allowed Hendrick Whelan & McCarthy to form that midfield trio.
    The old adage of never changing a winning team, or picking your best players? Keogh to me never looks too far away from a calamity, but he's been good the past two months for us. I'm a big fan of Clark. I think both have been central to us not hoofing the ball away blindly as much, with both looking to involve full backs and midfielders as their preferred first option. I don't think leadership is as much of a problem with this squad, hence O'Shea not needing to come back immediately.
    I really would like to see Duffy given some game time in the friendlies.
    h) You name more.....
    I'd like to see him really overhaul the fringe elements of his enlargened provisional squad before the Euro's. The reason for this is due to the WC group we're in. It's a huge opportunity for us to get to two tournaments in a row, or 3 out of 4. A point in Belgrade, the double-header against the communist states, and a point in Vienna sets us up very nicely for the visit of Wales in March 2017. It's relevant because there are precious little friendly dates left for trying out these players. We've the Swiss in march - surely one more game will be added there. Then possibly another two in the run up to the Euro's, followed by one just before the Serbia game in September. Not too much time.

The likes of Duffy, Cunningham, Arter, Judge, mccarey, Henderson, Egan possibly, Doherty, Carruthers, Forrester all merit a look in the next while. Dare I mention Bamford?

I don't see why he should include the likes of McShane, Pilkington, Cox, etc when we have other options that are untested.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast