Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2016 Qualifying

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts

Euro 2016 Qualifying

I posted about this in the "Trap's replacement" thread, but it's probably worth a thread for discussion of its own, especially with round 7 of a scrap over Darron Gibson and whataboutery about to get underway between SvD and Irwin over there!

GreenScene.me have just published this Euro 2016 qualifying seeding predictions list: http://greenscene.me/2013/09/euro-20...g-predictions/

It potentially sees us as the highest ranked team in the third pot based on World Cup 2010 results (weighted at 20 per cent of the ranking points total), Euro 2012 results (weighted at 40 per cent) and World Cup 2014 results (also weighted at 40 per cent). For some reason, I'd feared our current FIFA ranking within UEFA would play a more significant role in dictating our seeding. If our seeding was dependent on that, I'm pretty certain we'd have been in pot four.

Anyway, the draw for the qualification groups is set for the 23rd of February, 2014.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    They haven't made any decision on the qualifying format correct? 23 places to fill. Can only assume the number of qualifying groups will be extended and the top two going in automatically.

Could see ten groups maybe. Top six third place teams play-off?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    This was an earlier prediction made in June by Football-Rankings.info: http://www.football-rankings.info/20...eeding-14.html

It also states:

The qualifying format is already known (but things will most likely change): 9 groups (2 x 5, 7 x 6)

Top two from each group and the best team in third place advance. The other eight play-off for the final four spots.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    A five team group, only eight games, where more than half the teams could qualify? Would be interesting.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Going by those Greenscene predictions: Greece, Hungary, Finland, Lithuania and Gibraltar would be the dream ticket for qualifying and travelling.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    with round 7 of a scrap over Darron Gibson and whataboutery about to get underway between SvD and Irwin over there!
    It went the distance, unfortunately for everyone.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

6. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    A trip to Gibraltar would be lovely. I'd say tickets would be hard to come by though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Seeds1:
    Avoid: Everyone!
    Buy, Buy, Buy: Croatia, Greece

Seeds2: Really tough pool of teams.
    Avoid: Belgium, Ukraine, France, Bosnia
    Buy, Buy, Buy: Sweden, Serbia, Czech's, Hungary (not as weak as they seem)

Seeds4:
    Avoid: Poland, Scotland,
    Buy, Buy, Buy: Albania, Estonia, Latvia, Wales,

Seeds5: tough group of "weak" seeds:
    Avoid: Belarus; Iceland (good youth teams coming through, and still on course to make playoffs); the North.
    Buy, Buy, Buy: Azerbaijan, Moldova, Georgia

Seeds6:
    Avoid: Cyprus - we just don't need to go there. Gibralter - They might be gash, but let someone else have them first time out.

best case scenario: Greece, Hungary, Estonia, Azerbaijan, San Marino - oooh!
    worst case scenario: Spain, Belgium, Poland, Northern Ireland, Cyprus - ugh!
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    We could beat the bottom three, even in the 'worst case' scenario...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    We could beat the bottom three, even in the 'worst case' scenario...
    Would hate to have to do it though. Sack any accusations of luck, I'll take a jammy draw any day especially with a new manager coming in.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    We are due some major luck as we always seem to draw at least one really strong side and not just because they're 'top seeds'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    We are due some major luck as we always seem to draw at least one really strong side and not just because they're 'top seeds'...
    immaterial, even the "weaker" sides we're drawn against get annointed as heirs to the Barcelona/Bayern/Brazil/Ajax throne by journalists here, see Macedonia, etc
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    i thought we were fairly lucky with the groups we've got until this one, where i always felt would be hard to overcome sweden, and with little prospect of getting anything off germany who hammer all comers in qualifying (as do spain and holland recently).

regards the rankings - as france are auto qualified, does that make us 2nd seeds?
    Last edited by zero; 13/09/2013 at 11:24 AM.

14. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    There's a fella on ybig who worked it out that we are dependent on Norway and Turkey not winning their two remaining matches - taking it that we lose to the Germans and we beat Kazakhstan, to be second seeds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    regards the rankings - as france are auto qualified, does that make us 2nd seeds?
    Nah, I initially thought that myself, but you'll notice GreenScene included an extra spot in pot two, which is occupied by France, of course. Each other pot has one team less than the number in the second pot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Here's a good question with this: 12 months from now, Qualifying for Euro starts, right? What is your best case scenerio for Irelands starting lineup? What players do you hope take the next step over the next year, come back into the fold, or keep their spots, etc? Gun to your head.....who would you love (or at least like) to see as Irelands Starting Eleven from where we are right now?
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    There's a fella on ybig who worked it out that we are dependent on Norway and Turkey not winning their two remaining matches - taking it that we lose to the Germans and we beat Kazakhstan, to be second seeds.
    Well both of them must win their final two games to get into the play-offs, but I think neither will get 2/2. Norway face Iceland, who will only need a point away to Norway to make the playoff(they've Cyprus at home first), and Slovenia away.
    The Turks are going to have to beat Holland at home to make playoff as Hungary are a point ahead with a better head to head and face Andorra the same night the Turks face Holland.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    immaterial, even the "weaker" sides we're drawn against get annointed as heirs to the Barcelona/Bayern/Brazil/Ajax throne by journalists here, see Macedonia, etc
    Do they?
    Honestly. If they write that, are only worthy of ignoring...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Sadly I think we've already had our once in 10 years dose of luck getting to the euros.

The collapse of Slovakia, the miracle in Moscow, the hilarious last game v the very improved Armenia with a fantastic own goal and a red card that never should have been awarded, and then the holiest of holies a play off against Estonia.

Reckon we're gonna have to do it by playing well instead
    I

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as_i_say View Post
    Sadly I think we've already had our once in 10 years dose of luck getting to the euros.

The collapse of Slovakia, the miracle in Moscow, the hilarious last game v the very improved Armenia with a fantastic own goal and a red card that never should have been awarded, and then the holiest of holies a play off against Estonia.

Reckon we're gonna have to do it by playing well instead
    you conveniently ignore the very decent 1-1 draw away to slovakia and impressive win away to armenia in that campaign. you also ignore that we earned the right to be seeded in the play-off draw hence the Estonia draw for us.

one of our players (richard dunne) playing unbelievably well to greatly help us get a draw in Moscow (where most teams come back with nothing) isnt necessarily a miracle. teams rely on great individual performances all the time.... alaba in both our austria matches immediately comes to mind

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    agree re: Armenia away certainly and I remember that game well. It was a perfect away performance against a team far better than us technically and who beat Slovakia home and away. But after that game though, it was all downhill for us I think. Moscow was a miracle, not just Dunne. I 've never seen a team get pummelled like that for an entire 90 mins and not concede at least 1 goal.

Fair enough re seeding, I had forgotten that but still any luck we missed out on in Paris we got in spades to get to Euro 2012 imo
    I

Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast