Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2016 Qualifying

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Sorry just looked at the table, Netherlands will be trying to catch the Czechs now really.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    That's right, yep. It's in the next round of matches in September. Then Iceland have Kazakhstan and Latvia at home before finishing up in Turkey. The Dutch host the Czechs on the last day.

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Backed Wales at 15/4 after about 30 mins, seemed worth a punt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Thats Wales top seeds for World Cup qualifying now!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    They've scored 8 goals in their 6 games, 5 for Bale and 2 assists.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swinfordfc View Post
    Thats Wales top seeds for World Cup qualifying now!
    What?

Weren't they bottom seeds last time?

Gives us all hope!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It's mostly down to Bale, Wales would be where use to be without him, he's undoubtedly an outstanding inspirational asset to his country. But way too much attention here is paid to games which pale into comparison in significance to what's really happening in european football.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    in light of another morning, that guy who said that Wales' rise up the ladder was mostly down to Bale, was in all probability exaggerating.
    Wales's defence has been good.
    Nevertheless in this campaign he was instrumental in them pipping Andorra and with taking charge of their away game against Israel, just when it looked like the home team were coming out on top.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah two goals conceded in six games, including two clean sheets against Belgium, can't be apportioned too heavily to Bale, but being directly responsible for 7 of their 8 goals is massively significant. I don't think they'd have any qualification prospects without him really, maybe scrape third and lose the playoff.

11. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    They'd have lost in Andorra without him. But they do have some other good players, a well balanced team and a bit of the fear-nothing swagger about them that the Scots, probably also NI, have and which we lost a decade ago. I'm jealous of their 30,000 seater stadium too. I'd love if Dalyer was turned into something like that.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Without Bale's goals we would have probably had at least 6 points, possibly 9-12. The 0-0 draws against Belgium and Bosnia would have likely stood, and the 2-1 win against Cyprus (goals scored by Robson-Kanu after a brilliant take-down and a Cotterill fluked cross) would have stood. In Israel Bale contributed to all our goals, but we created chances throughout and James Collins trod on the ball in the first half one of the worst misses I have ever seen, even worse than when Iwelumo punted the ball onto the post from a yard out against Norway in his first and only Scotland appearence.

What would have happened in Andorra is anyone's guess, Bale's goals were obviously vital in the actual game but we may well have played different tactics/formation without him, it's far from certain we would have lost that game.

Nonetheless, it's all much of a muchness. Would the Irish sides of the past decade have qualified for anything without Keane, Dunne and Given? Take the top players out of any side and they struggle to perform to their level, that seems to be true of Belgium too although they do have a fantastic strength in depth.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Slovenia 1-0 England coming up to half time.

I think someone here said defeat for England would mean being ranked below Wales for the first time ever?

Liechtenstein 1-0 up on Moldova; currently two points off automatic qualification! Not bad for a side with only two goals to their name in the whole campaign.

Austria 1-0 up in Moscow and cruising to qualification as it stands

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Assuming both teams beat Gibraltar then we have to beat one of the others where Scotland lose and match the rest of their results. Best hope seems to be Scotland to slip up against Georgia in a hopefully tricky away fixture.

Georgia
    Ireland have a 100% record (6 games, 6 wins) against Georgia home and away. Ireland meet them in Dublin on September 7th.

Scotland on the other hand have lost to Georgia before in the Euro 2008 Qualifiers. To prove that it wasn't just a one off, Georgia also beat Croatia in Euro 2012 Qualifiers. They could be dangerous. In this campaign Scotland beat them narrowly in Scotland (1-0). They have to play them in Georgia on September 4th.

If Ireland beat Georgia and Scotland lose to Georgia, that's one way Ireland could qualify (if they match the rest of their results).

Poland
    Scotland have Poland at home, and Ireland have Poland away - advantage Scotland there. Neither Scotland or Ireland have ever beaten Poland competitively. The likely outcome here is draws all around. Ireland will need to at least match Scotland's result here.

Germany
    Scotland have lost 3 and drawn 1 against Germany competitively. The only draw came at home and more than 10 years ago. Scotland will meet Germany in Scotland on September 7th. Scotland have beaten the Germans in Friendlies though, once in 1936 and again in 1999. This is something Ireland never did.

Ireland have lost 3 and drawn 3 against Germany competitively. They will be encouraged by the draw in this campaign in Germany. So Ireland have a marginally better competitive record against the Germans and have some recent form on their side.

If Ireland beat Germany and Scotland lose to Germany, that's another way Ireland could qualify (if they match the rest of their results).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Zoo animals are overrunning Tbilisi.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidatrb View Post
    Scotland have beaten the Germans in Friendlies though, once in 1936 and again in 1999. This is something Ireland never did.
    On a point of order your honour, may I refer the right honourable gentleman to Hanover 94, in the case of Andreas Kopke vs Gary Kelly's curly wurly.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    On a point of order your honour, may I refer the right honourable gentleman to Hanover 94, in the case of Andreas Kopke vs Gary Kelly's curly wurly.
    Exhibit A -

We could also have accepted Ireland 5-2 Germany in 1936, Ireland 3-2 Germany in 1951, Ireland 3-0 Germany in 1956 and Ireland 1-0 Germany in 1960.

In fact, we've a great record against Germany, all things considered.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 16/06/2015 at 6:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    He means a united Germany?
    Edit didnt see '36 maybe united non nazi?
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    In the early '70's we also beat a West German team 3-0 in Dalymount. Cork Hibs' John Herrick scored a screamer from a distant part, great crowd and atmosphere, it was just as if we beat the real west german team and itwas the catalyst for our gradual emergence out of the dark ages.
    Not many people know that now, but there you are. We wouldn't have the Jack Charlton era except that a makeshift irish team managed to beat a West German team, with aplomb.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I remember that McAteer flick by, but I thought it was in a different game. Weird.

That German team were awful sloppy though, like when we beat holland as well but they were a lot better in the world cup.

Anyway we could only dream of some of that passing nowadays. One thing I do always notice though is when we get those missed tackles or flicks even though our players back then mightnt have been the fastest they always looked more dangerous and something seemed to happen, nowadays we make a break and stop at some point waiting for someone to support, as though no one ever expects the break and doesnt think of following from the start.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    He means a united Germany?
    Edit didnt see '36 maybe united non nazi?
    I dont know what I meant. It's weird, I have 4 on my list don't know why i didn't see them. 1994 vs Germany, 1951, 1956 and 1960 vs West Germany. I don't have the 1936 game so maybe that wasn't an official game? I have a game we played against Germany and lost 2-1 in 1970-05-09 in Berlin, but no record for Dublin. I need to update my lists!

25. Thanks From:

Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast