Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2016 Qualifying

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    That sort of paranoia would fit in better over on OWC.
    For the last time, all reports of paranoia over at the OWC, are greatly exaggerated.

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    For the last time, all reports of paranoia over at the OWC, are greatly exaggerated.

I would hit the "Thanks" icon ........but "They" might be watching....
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I'm not paranoid and I wasnt suggesting it was against me but there is a little clique of continuous back slapping that I find amusing.

You admit that posters thanks in some form of agreement...and an example of this thread was botnets post and those who thanked you can be sure dont go to away games or rarely go. You fail to get my point on many occasions which I also find very amusing :P
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 26/02/2014 at 7:08 PM.

4. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    These days, Irish fans can just turn on their computer, book a flight, refrain from a night out in a desperate hunt for a woman and the cost is covered. And they think they are 'real fans'.
    In my day, you'd get on the the Dart (a luxury futuristic phenomenon then) to Dun laoghaire, night boat to Holyhead, train to London, overnight stay in some kip, meet up with London Irish relations and travel the 2nd leg with them, train/boat/train to Belgium, Netherlands or France. Took about 7 days for one game and cost about 4 weeks dole money.
    The drunken rabble that call themselves true fans these days, haven't got a clue

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Ha thats a fair point. Last year we did a week long trip not far off that for one of the away games.

Georgia two lads thinking of train from london to Istanbul via Sofia and possibly. Burgas/varna and flight out from there. There was even talk of a boat to batumi but would add 7 days to the trip

Hunt sounds about right but more like stalk what the nerds on here would do if they saw a woman . I remember a very funny incident from Estonia about that.

Geysir the rain back then wasnt half like the rain ye get now either....:P
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 26/02/2014 at 7:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    A Póg Mo Goal write-up on Gibraltar: http://pogmogoal.com/republic-of-ire...he-rock/17842/

Quote Originally Posted by Póg Mo Goal
    They’re the newest nation in UEFA and in a first qualifying campaign have drawn the might of the Germans, along with the Irish, Scots, Poles and Georgians. Daniel Griffin from footballgibraltar gives us the reaction to what stands between the Rock and a Euro place.

Obviously Gibraltar were guaranteed a tough draw regardless of who they were pitted with; such is the fate of every Pot 6 nation. However, I’m not sure, bar maybe having England, that Gibraltar could have asked for a more exciting draw. The opportunity to face a European giant in Germany will be a special occasion, regardless of the end result, whilst the games against Georgia offers our best opportunity to grab points in this campaign. Scotland and Poland are both difficult nations, but at home, Gibraltar could cause a few problems against both teams.

allen bulaFrom a personal standpoint, Republic of Ireland was the best draw from Pot 2. Obviously there were weaker teams in the pot, but the opportunity of an away tie versus Martin O’Neill’s team in Dublin will undoubtedly appeal to most Gibraltar fans. Whilst I’d expect the likes of Robbie Keane and Aiden McGeady to be too strong for us at the Aviva Stadium, the return game in Faro could be an interesting match-up.

For this campaign, Gibraltar will play their home games at the Estadio do Algarve in Portugal. This is due to Gibraltar’s primary stadium, the Victoria Stadium, not being up to scratch for qualifying games. Whilst a new arena is being built at Europa Point in Gibraltar, the national team will have to play their ‘home’ games some four hours away by coach.

For Irish fans looking to travel to the game, Faro Airport is a twenty minute drive away from the ground. Both Ryanair and Aer Lingus both fly direct from Dublin. There is a vast variety of hotels in Faro, what with it being a holiday destination, and fans should look forward to a good few days abroad.

Football in Gibraltar is mainly amateur, with an eight team Premier Division and a 12 team Second Division being the main form of senior football on the Rock. Before acceptance into UEFA, the national team was fully comprised of players based locally or in southern Spain, but since becoming a member of the European football body, the Gibraltar FA have allowed naturalised players to be eligible for the national team. Whilst Danny Higginbotham will be retired by the time the qualifiers start, players such as Preston’s Scott Wiseman, Wycombe’s Reece Styche and Wrexham’s Dave Artell all provide professional experience in the team.

However, former Portsmouth midfielder Liam Walker, now at Israeli team Bnei Yehuda, is Gibraltar’s key player, and best chance of threatening the Irish defence. Farsley striker Adam Priestley will also test the back-line with his pace and finishing ability, with the striker boasting a decent record in the English regional leagues.

Prediction for the qualifiers? Realistically, Gibraltar are very unlikely to qualify from their group. However, there are chances for points to be earned, and I’d say finishing 5th would be a good achievement in our first campaign.

Visit footballgibraltar.wordpress.com and follow on Twitter: @footballgib

Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I'm not paranoid and I wasnt suggesting it was against me but there is a little clique of continuous back slapping that I find amusing.

You admit that posters thanks in some form of agreement...and an example of this thread was botnets post and those who thanked you can be sure dont go to away games or rarely go. You fail to get my point on many occasions which I also find very amusing :P
    There's a "thanks" button, as is common on discussion forums. The board has a set of posters, some more regular than others. Sometimes, one of these posters may make a point with which others happen to agree or find entertaining. These others may offer virtual thanks in the simple and exceptionally casual method of clicking a mouse button. And that's about it.

I do get your point though. You like to position yourself as the transcendent and superior free-thinking outsider who absolutely knows best because he lives life in the real world; his brave wealth of experience, practical pursuits and know-how, or perhaps even simply his different breed, rendering him immune from the conformist pattern of thinking to which the rest of us cowardly forum lemmings habitually fall victim. There's Paul, and then there's us. I think that's a neat summary of what's going on here. If you think otherwise, I'm afraid you may be reading into things too much.

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    It has to be said on reading that article, Gibraltar sound more and more of a 'joke' team.
    If they were a real country, would regard them differently. But even The Vatican and Greenland must be more credible?

And to keep up the theme above, any of their 'fans' coming to the new Lansdowne will surely be certain 'fleg-wavers' from elsewhere on the island...

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    It has to be said on reading that article, Gibraltar sound more and more of a 'joke' team.
    If they were a real country, would regard them differently. But even The Vatican and Greenland must be more credible?

And to keep up the theme above, any of their 'fans' coming to the new Lansdowne will surely be certain 'fleg-wavers' from elsewhere on the island...
    Ooooooh I called it!

http://foot.ie/threads/183181-Euro-2...=1#post1738005

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Yeah, we know. But it's been on the cards for the last decade.
    Here's to Bavaria and Catalonia...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    I can't wait to go to Poland for that away. I hear they have all sorts of interesting stuff; solar powered flash lights, Submarines with screen doors, wine flavored beer. This is going to be great.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,634 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post

I did a bit of an audit of Back of the Nets posts since he remarked on your "real fans do that sort of thing" comment. From what I can see, he only received 3 thanks in 12 posts, all 3 coming in one post - a reply he made to ArdeeBhoy.

You can't make intentionally inflammatory or antagonistic remarks about what constitutes a real fan and expect that not to be challenged. You go to away games. Well done. But now what? You think it entitles you to some additional credibility on a message board? You have the ways, means and opportunities to do attend away games where many fans, true fans too, don't. For a variety of reasons.

I used to go to almost every home game and many away games when I lived in ireland. As many away games as I could afford. I couldn't go to WC2002 because I was saving to go to university, a decision that has repaid itself many times over in the bigger scheme of things. What does all of that make me? To you I'm probably less of a fan as you can't put a face to my handle but, to me, I too am a REAL fan that has prioritized life appropriately for my circumstances.

I respect your opinions on many things related to analyzing games, players and managers but I can't stand the condescending arrogance and self-aggrandisement that you demonstrate when it comes to this type of stuff.

15. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    I was looking for the smug backslapping ganging-up button but could only find a "Thanks" one.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I respect your opinions on many things related to analyzing games, players and managers but I can't stand the condescending arrogance and self-aggrandisement that you demonstrate when it comes to this type of stuff.
    Knowing PR in person (we have mutual pals, BOTN!), actually don't think he's guilty of the latter at all, even on here, where he's generally just talking to the 15-20 or so people who tend to contribute in this part of the forum, let alone go to Ireland games...

Not so sure about the 'analyzing' bit though...

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    I can't wait to go to Poland for that away. I hear they have all sorts of interesting stuff; solar powered flash lights, Submarines with screen doors, wine flavored beer. This is going to be great.
    Unless it's changed since 2012, would say No. Can vouch for their hospitals though!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    For the last time, all reports of paranoia over at the OWC, are greatly exaggerated
    Well said, here's the UN's latest table

1 North Korea
    2 Ardee
    3 Syria
    4 Geysir
    5 OWC

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Surely 0=Unionist fools, especially the ones who haven't lived there for decades.

And maybe you should NB.post #483...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Do you chaps ever see former players who are fans at away matches? Even fringe players? Is Ger Crossley ever by the pool, something like that, just mixed in with you fabulous people?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I used to go to almost every home game and many away games when I lived in ireland. As many away games as I could afford.
    But Stu why dont you move the missus back to Eire and get her citizenship, reversing your previous direction, then you could be back to the amiable, well known fan you were in the late 90s. And I have an idea I would stake you on, as a silent partner, 50-50... These Micks gobble down greasy chips like it's going out of style. But they don't know what Poutine is. They would love it. You open a Poutine stand outside of Crackbird, you would be rich enough to flee the outback and start sitting in suites in places like Georgia, Cyprus and South Gibralter. It can't fail.

Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast