Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2016 Qualifying

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    How much of the €430 was on Georgia flights specifically BE? What route if you don't mind sharing?
    €300.
    BFS-AMS-SAW-TBS-RIX-LGW-DUB. That's with Easyjet to AMS, Pegasus to TBS, Air Baltic to LGW, Ryanair to DUB.

More info here:
    http://foot.ie/threads/187630-Georgia-(A)
    Have you ever won the treble?

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Latest blog with some thoughts on the draw for those interested.....

http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/201...-reunited.html
    Irish Football Blog - A False First XI - http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/

Twitter: @afalsefirstxi

To Follow on Facebook go to:https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Latest blog with some thoughts on the draw for those interested.....

http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/201...-reunited.html

Had we ended up in a group such as...Greece, Ireland, Romania, Finland, Northern Ireland, Faroe Islands...we could safely start booking our slots for the finals in France
    Admirable if maybe slightly overdone confidence there D9-three teams in that hypothetical group (not to mention Hungary) had a better record than you in WC 2014 qualifying
    Last edited by Gather round; 27/02/2014 at 8:48 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Admirable if maybe slightly overdone confidence there D9-three teams in that hypothetical group (not to mention Hungary) had a better record than you in WC 2014 qualifying
    Ha ha! In our worst campaign since the early 70's to be fair. Hungary wouldn't be in the group if we werw drawn in it. I'd have been very confident of a top 2 finish in thst hypothetical group. Would have preferred the England or Wales group all the same.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Now THAT'S wumming

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Not so sure about the 'analyzing' bit though...
    I know. Stupid North American iPad auto"correct"...when I catch it, I change it (when I'm not being lazy).

I'll let you in a secret though - I now put gas in my car and don't like tomayto on my burgers!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Let's just say, even under Trap, we'd do better than the North. Oh, we did anyway...
    And unless those teams played the same opponents (or us theirs), no-one knows their relative record...

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Do you chaps ever see former players who are fans at away matches? Even fringe players? Is Ger Crossley ever by the pool, something like that, just mixed in with you fabulous people?
    The closest, bar people who claim to be ex-LOI players (usually only their pals can verify) and pundits, are Shay G's auld fella, a regular, and Dermot Gallagher, more occasional, ex-EPL referee!
    And it's definitely them.

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I interpret the apprehension about this qual draw, is less about our opponents, but more about we don't where we are yet with our team. So there are various fantasies festering in that vacant space, building up a dysfunctional Poland to potential world class because of a few star players, Scotland's phoenix like glory resurgence and Georgia's fanatic home crowd frothing for out blood, a 5th seed with a killer blow.
    Sweden 9/10 times would prove stronger over 2 games than either Poland or Scotland.
    All the signs were that we were a team in serious (morale) decline under Trap for 18 months, yet we were expected to beat Sweden at home and draw away. We were heavily critical of the performance and tactics that allowed Austria to snatch a late equaliser and give Sweden their win on a plate.

When it will come to the game on the day against Poland and Scotland, we will be expected to better them both and should we not prevail, the management team will come under severe criticism, there will be not the least concession to the apprehension expressed here about the quality of our opponents, the tough draw, as an excuse for failure.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I don't think anyone is building up Poland to be world class (although I think some people look at the Dortmund players and don't realise the rest of the squad is ten rungs below) but they are the kind of team we seem to struggle against. Average enough sides who have one world class player who can tear us apart in a second, ie Sweden with Ibrahimovic, Austria with Alaba.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I interpret the apprehension about this qual draw, is less about our opponents, but more about we don't where we are yet with our team. So there are various fantasies festering in that vacant space, building up a dysfunctional Poland to potential world class because of a few star players, Scotland's phoenix like glory resurgence and Georgia's fanatic home crowd frothing for out blood, a 5th seed with a killer blow.
    Sweden 9/10 times would prove stronger over 2 games than either Poland or Scotland.
    All the signs were that we were a team in serious (morale) decline under Trap for 18 months, yet we were expected to beat Sweden at home and draw away. We were heavily critical of the performance and tactics that allowed Austria to snatch a late equaliser and give Sweden their win on a plate.

When it will come to the game on the day against Poland and Scotland, we will be expected to better them both and should we not prevail, the management team will come under severe criticism, there will be not the least concession to the apprehension expressed here about the quality of our opponents, the tough draw, as an excuse for failure.
    It's not apprehension as such, just pointing out that there are other factors involved in these games in comparison to other groups or teams. Most groups you could predict finishing in the top 3 as being nailed on. You can't in this group.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    It's not apprehension as such, just pointing out that there are other factors involved in these games in comparison to other groups or teams. Most groups you could predict finishing in the top 3 as being nailed on. You can't in this group.
    You call it pointing out that there are other factors, I call it apprehension
    We can't call it, because we don't yet have a sense of how we will be organised to play. If O'Neill struggles, (indecisive) and ballses it up, then we will certainly struggle on the pitch. If he doesn't balls it up, we will qualify.
    There are factors in most every team we could play in the first 5 pots. We don't know when an apposing team will have their day, it's consistency over the group campaign that usually wins out. We have a normal qual draw, weaker or very similar than most we have been through and there are 2 and a half places at stake in the group.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    The Germans are trended downward sportswise, say many pundits in the know. They got the second most medals in Vancouver but only the 6th most in Sochi, with a disappointing haul. So we have that going for us.
    Also we can easily trick the Polish by spinning them around a few times right before kickoff, they will start shooting at their own net.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

19. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I think I agree with Geysir. We know what the others are like and appreciate that they can maybe be better than they have delivered of late, but we think we have been so weirdly managed that we actually don't know what we are capable of. I personally think we're better than we have shown in the last campaign, but at the same time, almost paradoxically, I'd probably buy Trap's away record right now.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    O'Neill hoping for Celtic Park

I'm not really sure what to make of all this. Think he should just say he's not bothered where the game is played and leave it at that. If he is hoping for Celtic Park, surely he's better off not telling the Scots that. Maybe he's secretly longing for Ibrox and playing reverse psychology? Total long shot but perhaps he sees it as a less intimidating stadium for an away team, given Celtic's incredible home record against top European teams. Presume the game will be at Celtic Park regardless anyway of what he says anyway and maybe he knows this to be the case.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Hmm, that could mean anything!

IF the SFA were looking out for Ireland fans, they'd make it CP but guess that will be a secondary concern, though it would give the chance of showcasing the East End which has just been tarted up for the CG's.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Following on from Martin O'Neill's recent comments about the lack of young talent coming through, I thought I'd ask the question: which of the current or recent U21 squads do people think could play a part in the upcoming Euro 2016 campaign? I'm going to narrow the list of potentials down to eight: Shane Duffy, Tommie Hoban, Mark O'Brien, Matt Doherty, Jack Grealish, Sean Murray, Callum Reilly and Samir Carruthers. I've chosen this group on the basis of either having significant experience at Championship level or being reasonably likely to be playing at Championship level (or above) next season. And remember, the business end of the qualifiers is still over a season away so there is time for all these players to become further established before this. So who should we be thinking about blooding into the senior squad in upcoming friendlies, either this summer or next?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Following on from Martin O'Neill's recent comments about the lack of young talent coming through, I thought I'd ask the question: which of the current or recent U21 squads do people think could play a part in the upcoming Euro 2016 campaign? I'm going to narrow the list of potentials down to eight: Shane Duffy, Tommie Hoban, Mark O'Brien, Matt Doherty, Jack Grealish, Sean Murray, Callum Reilly and Samir Carruthers. I've chosen this group on the basis of either having significant experience at Championship level or being reasonably likely to be playing at Championship level (or above) next season. And remember, the business end of the qualifiers is still over a season away so there is time for all these players to become further established before this. So who should we be thinking about blooding into the senior squad in upcoming friendlies, either this summer or next?
    It looks like O'Brien is going to join the pantheon of Irish players who will never fulfill his full potential because of fitness issues. Hoban has to prove himself all over again after being out for a year. Doherty has lost his place in the Wolves team after getting injured in Autumn but that's not because of any faults with him; he was flying before that. Carruthers has been hit and miss at MK Dons so the jury is still out for now; he definitely has the potential to go all the way. Reilly has played intermittently for Birmingham.

I'd say Duffy is almost ready. Murray and Grealish aren't that far behind. With Keane, Hoolahan and Reid aging, the World Cup Qualifying campaign would definitely be a target for them but a lot depends on next season. Grealish needs to play more consistently and at a higher level to be considered; and Murray needs a proper run in the Watford team, though he's been getting a decent run this season.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I think O'Neill is right. Few, if any, of the U21s are on the verge of immediate promotion. I think his words were interpreted a little unfairly though. He wasn't saying there is nothing coming through, just that nobody is on the verge of displacing a more established incumbent.

But, as sam says above, the business end is over a year away and I'd agree that those named seem the most obvious ones to be likely to make the step up. We have discussed Gunning recently (not a current U21) and he might be knocking on the door. Maybe Kenny McEvoy will make a leap forward between now and then.

I'd like to see a keeper emerge. Randolph is OK but not playing at a level of performance yet that makes me relax about the GK position. I like Forde but I'd like to see him pressed hard by Westwood or another keeper. The Scots have two keepers playing very well at EPL level. We have a couiple playing OK at Championship level and a third doing rehab after regular injuries.

And anyway, didn't Randolph threaten to play for the US? I'm surprised TOWK hasn't vented his spleen at him

A left-footed Seamus Coleman would be nice.

And dare I say it, maybe Stephen Ireland has a role to play.

Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast