Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: English League Championship et alia 2013/14

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts

English League Championship et alia 2013/14

Terrible sporting weekend. Rovers get stuffed by St. Pat's. I lose a cup semi-final in the cricket and a league game the next day. Dublin lose to Cork in the hurling. And of course Sheffield Wednesday lose both their opening games in the Championship. Next stop Elland Road. AT least Doncaster, Millwall and Barnsley are also without points and they will haunt the lower regions for most of the season I suspect. Blackburn may continue to struggle. Forest continued their good run from last season with a slimmo Andy Reid still pulling the strings.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Looking forward to Saturdays game immensely Owlsfan. I anxiously scratch my chin watching Leeds defend and they sorely need to land a quality center half. But at least it now appears teams have to score twice against Leeds to be sure of at least a point rather than the mere once we've become accustomed to.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    On-loan Manchester United midfielder Jesse Lingard scored four goals on his debut for Birmingham - against Sheffield Wednesday. Birmingham, a club in decline (14k at the game) and they get a loanee who does that. I hate players on loan who do that and then disappear. Bolton propping up the table. Another recent Premiership side. Thank heavens for Barnsley and Yeovil (Paddy Madden aside). Lionel, I don't think Leeds will do it this year either.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    In the morning, Barnsley vs Sheff Wed and then that evening Barca vs Real Madrid. Apparently the same sport but other than the ball being round (although the two goals weren't bad) there wasn't any other similarity. Even McPhail couldn't pass the ball. Interesting though to see Bale being substituted - is he going to be a flop I wonder?

Anyway 12 without a win. Milan Mandaric, who used to sack managers for fun, is now the most patient chairman in the world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    One win in 16 games. Sack the manager and then beat the leading team. Two other teams in botton three also win and one also without a manager. This manager thing is overrated It's a funny old game.

Hats off to Sky's presentation last night. A reporter at each of the Championship games and within 20 seconds of a goal, they show it on the screen. Best of the night by Andy Reid for Forest against Millwall.
    Last edited by OwlsFan; 04/12/2013 at 5:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    I know no one is interested but I am still going to say it because it sounds so good: Sheffield Wednesday 6 Leeds United 0.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    To the victor the spoils Owlsfan.

I don't blame the players. You can no more blame a player for not being good enough than you can blame a cat for not being a dog.

I don't even blame the manager. McDermott is a decent man doing his best I don't doubt. But a very familiar pattern is emerging that has been there with at least the last half dozen managers. A board lunging from one game-changing takeover to the next insisting they're backing the manager to the hilt and giving him whatever resources he needs followed by bargain bucket purchases of other clubs cast offs. Some lad from Brighton & HA, I don't give a toss who, is choosing to sign for Burnley rather than Leeds United today. Burnley like. That's where we're at.

Leeds only business this season is now ensuring we retain that championship berth.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Burnley are second in the league, to be fair. A lot of players would want to sign for them. There is something rotten at Leeds though. They spent £1 million on a player for the first time in years recently. Even allowing for the legacy of the Risdale era, that's madness for a club who feel they belong in the Premier League.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

11. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    If McClaren wins this game I hope he celebrates by bringing an expanded brolly onto the pitch, even if it's sunny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    He's obviously not a fan of Phil Brown

"Following Phil Brown into a football club is akin to following a sweaty, twenty stone man into the toilets at a downmarket Indian restaurant late at night – whatever you do in there, it can’t possibly make the situation any worse".

I didn't realise our own David Kelly had been Davies assistant at Derby.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Just watched the play-off game between Swindon and Sheff United. Final aggregate score 7-6 for Swindon. Hugely enjoyable stuff but I suspect that the other Sky football viewers were watching an irrelevant Arsenal v Swansea game.

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Yes mad to think some people would pick one game of football over another. Mad stuff.
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    Yes mad to think some people would pick one game of football over another. Mad stuff.
    The point was not that they chose to watch another game, which actually meant nothing other than to the fans of both teams, but that they missed out on one of the all time classics in so doing. The Blades were twice 3 goals down in the tie (even 4 at one stage) and the commentators, as they do, wrote them off on each occasion and then they score two goals in the last few minutes and up goes the board for injury time: 7 minutes !! They even score an equaliser but it ruled out for a push. Mad stuff to use your own phrase - Will we see something similar in Munich tonight?

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    The point was not that they chose to watch another game, which actually meant nothing other than to the fans of both teams, but that they missed out on one of the all time classics in so doing. The Blades were twice 3 goals down in the tie (even 4 at one stage) and the commentators, as they do, wrote them off on each occasion and then they score two goals in the last few minutes and up goes the board for injury time: 7 minutes !! They even score an equaliser but it ruled out for a push. Mad stuff to use your own phrase - Will we see something similar in Munich tonight?
    Apologies I thought you said the other sky viewers were watching the irrelevant Arsenal v Swansea match not that it was irrelevant. As regards tonight we will just have to wait and see because it's a funny old game!
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    September 1964 was the last time Sheffield Wednesday beat Wolves at Hillsboro until yesterday (around 20 games). Amazing run. Must be one of the longest hoodoos for teams that played each other fairly regularly. However, I remember the Spurs one at Liverpool went on for over 70 games but at least that the away side failing to win. Wednesday's hoodoo was unable to win at home !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    September 1964 was the last time Sheffield Wednesday beat Wolves at Hillsboro until yesterday (around 20 games). Amazing run. Must be one of the longest hoodoos for teams that played each other fairly regularly. However, I remember the Spurs one at Liverpool went on for over 70 games but at least that the away side failing to win. Wednesday's hoodoo was unable to win at home !
    Only yesterday in the French League, Bordeaux at home to Marseille. Ended 1-1 which means that Marseille still have not won in Bordeaux since 1978. Must be something like 35-38 games, crazy considering how good Marseille teams have been in that time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Sheffield Wednesday boss Carlos Carvalhal on the FA Cup game against Fulham.

"It was a typical cup game. We knew we had to decide it in 90 minutes, we were aware of taking more risks in the last 20 minutes and we had to treat the game like a final. The strategy today was to give Fulham the ball."

I have heard it all now !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    How to get sacked: get your team promoted. Steve Cotterill now sacked by Briston City despite winning League One and Johnstone Paints Trophy. http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/35319397

Not sure what some of the owners of these clubs expect

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    Only yesterday in the French League, Bordeaux at home to Marseille. Ended 1-1 which means that Marseille still have not won in Bordeaux since 1978. Must be something like 35-38 games, crazy considering how good Marseille teams have been in that time.
    Maybe not quite on the same level as your examples but I see on SSN that West Ham haven't won at Carrow Road since 1973, 16 attempts - 7 draws and 9 defeats. Also, there has been a 90th minute goal in the last four league meetings between the sides.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast