Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: FAI Invites First Division Expressions of Interest

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    If shamrock pulls out the B team the board will lose any credibility they still could have.

Too many years changing direction...

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo69 View Post
    Do it ! For the sake of

I'm hearing a lot of conflicting stories about what's going on so i don't know what to believe... Best one yet is that the great Pat Devlin is planning a take over of the club!
    Wasn't able to justify the cost with the trip to Dundalk coming up tomorrow, but will definitely try and make it down before the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I've heard Kerry rumours before. I would presume there are still a few people involved with Tralee Dynamos who think they could get make an application at the heart of that. But both them and Meath would struggle to last long I think.

If Rovers can't stomach the expenses, will Cork and Pats?
    Well it's not about stomaching the expense, it's more about whether it's worth the cost and Nutsy seems to think it'd be better spent on the first team. To be fair, there's no indication they will scrap it, just some vague murmuring.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    If a club could get a solid fanbase of 300-400, then it should be able to field a team in a regional 1st division. Sadly it looks like it is hard to find such clubs. Also league membership costs need to come down. I would like to see Salthill Devon back, as I think there is enough players in the Galway region to support a 2nd LoI team.
    Anyone have any idea what level of crowds Newcastle West, Thurles Town etc used to get?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Do any LSL teams get 300/400+ every game while charging 10/15 quid? Surely not!

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    If a club could get a solid fanbase of 300-400, then it should be able to field a team in a regional 1st division. Sadly it looks like it is hard to find such clubs. Also league membership costs need to come down. I would like to see Salthill Devon back, as I think there is enough players in the Galway region to support a 2nd LoI team.
    Anyone have any idea what level of crowds Newcastle West, Thurles Town etc used to get?
    Are you serious?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David BOHie View Post
    Do any LSL teams get 300/400+ every game while charging 10/15 quid? Surely not!
    They don't get that when it's free in
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Saying that wonder88 shows you have no idea of the footballing situation in Galway. Salthill, who are now in the second tier of junior football are up the creek without a paddle, seeing as they are struggling to field a team of 11 for their matches. They may have good training facilities but that is all they have at the moment. Football players in Galway are seeing them in their true colours now and are keeping well clear of the club. Also, they would have to then step down from their directors positions at Galway FC as they would not be able to hold these positions in both clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Ideally, the FAI would take a bit of initiative and help the likes of this Meath FC, maybe get in contact with Tipperary Junior Leagues, and a few others that either haven't seen LOI football in years, or have never seen it, and give them a few incentives to join the league.

Without guidance from the governing body, there's going to be nobody interested once again.

I hate to bring it up again, but it's really pointing towards one large division again for a season or two as the only option going forward.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Had a feeling!

I remember reading on another thread a while back that Greystones get decent attendances sometimes. But there are two teams in the town. Same for Mullingar. Doesn't seem feasible to forcibly merge them. The LOI has problems that have been caused from years of mismanagement

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Some the LSL teams do charge in for believe it or not. Mate of mine was playing with Bangor last year his da was saying it was €5 into home games.

He said other clubs often charged as well.
    Theres a prize for bringing the most fans you know

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by forza View Post
    Some the LSL teams do charge in for believe it or not. Mate of mine was playing with Bangor last year his da was saying it was €5 into home games.

He said other clubs often charged as well.
    Yeah, some do but none of them get close to 400 in (even the clubs that don't charge in). Sorry for confusuion
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Saying that wonder88 shows you have no idea of the footballing situation in Galway. Salthill, who are now in the second tier of junior football are up the creek without a paddle, seeing as they are struggling to field a team of 11 for their matches. They may have good training facilities but that is all they have at the moment. Football players in Galway are seeing them in their true colours now and are keeping well clear of the club. Also, they would have to then step down from their directors positions at Galway FC as they would not be able to hold these positions in both clubs.
    Just to add to that, a club who were so successful at juvenile level through the years, could not field teams at u13 or u18 levels this past weekend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    And regardless, if there was ever going to be a second Galway team (and their shouldn't, not for the foreseeable future at any rate) it should be Mervue, not Salthill. They became competitive at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    You can see Salthill Devon's stats here;

http://statsthatarepointless.wordpre...ue-of-ireland/

In their 4 years in the League, Salthill Devon finished bottom each time and didn’t win a single FAI/League Cup tie against League opposition. They may go down as the worst LOI club of all time.
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    In their 4 years in the League, Salthill Devon finished bottom each time and didn’t win a single FAI/League Cup tie against League opposition. They may go down as the worst LOI club of all time.
    The Village People might have something to say about that

#anorakfootballreference

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    I always preferred to watch a game in Drom than in Fahy's field, especially on a fine summer evening. People may know that there is no Connacht senior league and there is enough players around Galway that could play at current 1st Division LoI standard, especially with two big 3rd level colleges. If Galway FC get promotion, will most of the players playing at Deacy Park this season be kept on? If not, where can they play at appropriate standard?

Having to vacate the positions on the Board of Galway FC may not be a negative for Loi soccer in Galway. The major problem is that they could not attract any fans, same with Mervue and UCD. But B teams will be the same, so if no other new teams come forward and they can afford it why not Salthill. However you would need a budget of around 140k to ensure a club would not be stuck at the bottom of the table, not the 80k Shamrock R are reported to be spending.
    Disclosure. When there are no games on in Terryland, Drom would be handy enough for me to get to. I envy Dublin based Loi fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    So does anybody know if there were any expressions of interest this time round? If not what are the Fai doing to encourage new entrants? Surely if cost of travel is one of the major factors the Fai could look at helping out? No? Yes I'm very naive! You'd think after all these years involved with the LOI that I'd know better but there ye go!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Just to add to that, a club who were so successful at juvenile level through the years, could not field teams at u13 or u18 levels this past weekend.
    Ah I missed Galway fans giving out about Salthill

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    This topic has replaced the asterisk as the annual guaranteed talking point.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    I always preferred to watch a game in Drom than in Fahy's field, especially on a fine summer evening. People may know that there is no Connacht senior league and there is enough players around Galway that could play at current 1st Division LoI standard, especially with two big 3rd level colleges. If Galway FC get promotion, will most of the players playing at Deacy Park this season be kept on? If not, where can they play at appropriate standard?

Having to vacate the positions on the Board of Galway FC may not be a negative for Loi soccer in Galway. The major problem is that they could not attract any fans, same with Mervue and UCD. But B teams will be the same, so if no other new teams come forward and they can afford it why not Salthill. However you would need a budget of around 140k to ensure a club would not be stuck at the bottom of the table, not the 80k Shamrock R are reported to be spending.
    Disclosure. When there are no games on in Terryland, Drom would be handy enough for me to get to. I envy Dublin based Loi fans.
    Galway cannot support more than one LOI team. The whole situation there was one of the LOI's most embarrassing aspects. It took several gruelling years for that reality to get ingrained enough in the heads of the people involved in the clubs there. I find it astonishing you seem to be seriously suggesting that decision get reversed. You can say what you like about B teams, but at least they would serve a larger purpose to the league than Salthill's constant last place finishes.

25. Thanks From:

Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast