Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: FAI Invites First Division Expressions of Interest

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Man, where did all this talk of Youths dropping out come from? Whats wrong there?
    I presume Mick Wallace has less pocket money than before.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    585 Posts
    Was he still really bankrolling them as much as before?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Partizan View Post
    Salthill and Mervue will definitely not be in the LOI next season. I spoke to top officials at both clubs and they are pulling the plug. The Galway FC saga has degenerated into a farce and its highly unlikely that will go ahead. Wexford's position in the League next year is in doubt as well. Last Friday in the RSC, I had a chat with a Youths fan and he told me that they will not be around next March when the 2014 season kicks off.

So that leaves 5 at the moment.

Then what is the point of them recruiting a manager within the next month or so?

Galway FC is going ahead 100%.

The players of Mervue and Salthill have already been told their clubs will not be participating in the senior league for the 2014 season.

If mervue do get promoted, Galway FC have made a DVD to show that they are capable of taking their place in the premier league.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    585 Posts
    Lest anyone think we're talking a crazy hypothetical, if Mervue beat Longford this weekend, they'd only be a point outside the playoff places with two to play. Mervue play Cobh at home and Youths away, both winnable. Longford play Youths at home and then the (presumably) celebrating Athlone away. Waterford could conceivably slip too. It really isn't that unlikely that Mervue could overtake one of them.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Was he still really bankrolling them as much as before?
    I doubt it but, in theory at least, that could explain their mooted demise. It's not beyond belief that they've been a listing, slow puncture of a club the last season or two. I hope they do survive (and see no reason they shouldn't).

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Then what is the point of them recruiting a manager within the next month or so?
    To be fair, and I'm not referring to Galway specifically here at all, a lot of very stupid people have made a lot of very stupid decisions all around this league over the years. Prematurely appointing a manager wouldn't be anywhere near the top of a list of farcical events.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harps1954 View Post
    Finally, someone mentioned above about having a one-Division top flight of 12 clubs (as it is now) and regional Divisions below it where clubs could play in a 'A' League type championship whereby clubs could play their way up to the LOI. Isn't that what happened with Salthill and Mervue and this is how they find themselves in the LOI. What happens if the same happened again and we get three clubs from the one City playing in the LOI. Galway couldn's sustain it. What if another club from Limerick were to work their way up - could Limerick sustain two senior clubs. What about another club in Waterford or in Sligo or Donegal? These counties are doing well to try to keep one senior club alive. Or what if another one or two Dublin clubs appeared on the horizon and worked their way up through the regional leagues? You could have a one Division LOI with 75% of the clubs coming from Dublin (or within a 40 or 50 miles radius) and the other 2 or 3 clubs coming from Derry, Limerick and Cork. Is that what we really want.
    Yeah, it is how Salthill and Mervue found themselves playing in the LoI. The solution here is simple enough - licencing that takes into account if a region is already represented by a club. Any clubs wanting to join an 'A' league type championship should have to apply for a licence. If a club applies from any of the areas you mentioned, the application would most likely be rejected. If it's from an area without a club e.g. Castlebar, Tullamore or Carlow, applications would more likely be successful.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Yeah, it is how Salthill and Mervue found themselves playing in the LoI. The solution here is simple enough - licencing that takes into account if a region is already represented by a club. Any clubs wanting to join an 'A' league type championship should have to apply for a licence. If a club applies from any of the areas you mentioned, the application would most likely be rejected. If it's from an area without a club e.g. Castlebar, Tullamore or Carlow, applications would more likely be successful.
    I think that allows for a dangerous amount of fudge from the FAI. The rules should be clear, transparent, and non-negotiable. Sure, there'll be some casualties, but it'll be better for the league in the long run.

Ultimately, the top division in football should be for the best teams. The FAI should do everything possible with licensing and financial regulation to make sure that every club is run sustainably and within their means, but if the top ten teams in the country are from Dublin or Cork or the midlands or wherever, they should all be in the top division. I doubt people in Germany were stressing last season that there were no teams from the former East Germany or Berlin in the top flight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Is it difficult to bring clarity to a rule about representation from a region? Criteria to be met I'd imagine would be being financially viable for the club, facilities, is there a place for another club from the area in terms of game development and possibly giving more players an opportunity to play at a higher level. I'm not really looking to get into this so I'll leave it there. I was only responding to someelse's concern about too many clubs from one area and where an area could sustain another club.
    With there being debate on the next Ireland manager and the development of the game in this country, one thing I always look at is regions without a club. It's not solely about having more teams in the league. LoI clubs have a huge part to play in the development of the game in this country. A club can be the focal point of the game in their areas and organise soccer camps etc. and work within their communities.
    Is it difficult to bring clarity to a rule about representation from a region? Criteria to be met I'd imagine would be being financially viable for the club, facilities, is there a place for another club from the area in terms of game development and possibly giving more players an opportunity to play at a higher level. I'm not really looking to get into this so I'll leave it there. I was only responding to someelse's concern about too many clubs from one area and where an area could sustain another club.
    With there being debate on the next Ireland manager and the development of the game in this country, one thing I always look at is regions without a club. It's not solely about having more teams in the league. LoI clubs have a huge part to play in the development of the game in this country. A club can be the focal point of the game in their areas and organize soccer camps etc. and work within their communities.
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    To be fair, and I'm not referring to Galway specifically here at all, a lot of very stupid people have made a lot of very stupid decisions all around this league over the years. Prematurely appointing a manager wouldn't be anywhere near the top of a list of farcical events.
    I agree with you, in fact your probably being polite there, but there will be nothing premature about it, as it is well known already in the Galway footballing circles that the FAI have told them that Galway FC has the all clear to get ready for the 2014 season ahead.

Also, just to add to that, there is a rumour floating around that it will be a 16-18 league next season with no first division as there was a lack of takers on the expression of interest coupled with so many teams dropping out of the league.

Formerly skibbereen co.cork but now Oregon USA
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    I'd assume that shels would survive relegation again, but notwithstanding the issues of changing relegation criteria at this stage and the possible implications of that, there'd have to be doubts about bohs surviving relegation. So then we're down to 18 senior clubs.
    Like changing to one division wont have any implications on changing relegation? 18/16 team league or 10+8 seem the only options left. Don't want to suggest a 8+8 lol. I would like to see a A Championship style division below the Premier division. The u19 league has top flight and two regional leagues below, why cant senior football?

23 u19 teams! 10 team premier league and 7+6 regional leagues.
    Last edited by citybone; 26/09/2013 at 4:10 AM.
    west cork district league
    west cork commandos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Since 2000 how times has the premier league changed the amount of teams in it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post

Ultimately, the top division in football should be for the best teams. .
    Or clubs who stay up by "default" season after season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    Or clubs who stay up by "default" season after season.
    Hey, if a club doesn't exist any more, they can't be better than us, can they?!

14. Thanks From:

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by citybone View Post
    Like changing to one division wont have any implications on changing relegation?
    It will have implications, just different ones. None that would put clubs in jeopardy, like relegating more would! Realistically, you'd have to put 4th from bottom in a play off, with the winner of the 2nd/ 3rd playoff from the first as well.

Quote Originally Posted by citybone View Post
    18/16 team league or 10+8 seem the only options left. Don't want to suggest a 8+8 lol. I would like to see a A Championship style division below the Premier division. The u19 league has top flight and two regional leagues below, why cant senior football?
    We can't get clubs to apply to the current first - I'm not seeing where the clubs are going to come from for regional leagues. Or rather enough regional leagues to really make a difference on costs.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    We can't get clubs to apply to the current first - I'm not seeing where the clubs are going to come from for regional leagues. Or rather enough regional leagues to really make a difference on costs.
    That's a fair point unfortunately. There's more a chance of the Kerry hurlers playing in the Munster Championship that than an 'A' league coming back! It's a fair enough point though to express a wish to see it but unfortunately as said, it's not likely. With the U19 league and possible single division at senior level, should consideration be given to a return of an 'A' type league? If the premier becomes a single division of 18, an 'A' type league with 3 regional leagues would have 6 teams in each where players out of the U19's could gain experience for a number of years before progressing to senior level. If a number of first team intermediate/junior clubs joined, all the better to give these teams an option to play at a regional level. It could provide the competition to keep the teams at the foot of the Premier honest with an end of season play-off between the team bottom in the premier and the highest first teams from each of the 3 regional leagues. All highly unlikely of course. It'll be interesting to see how the league shapes up next year.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think that if the fai are going to maintain the 1st division reserve teams should be added, it doesnt look like any new clubs are going to join so 1/3 reserve sides would make a decent short term solution. I know the crowds wont be great but would likely be better than salthill and mervues attendances lately

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by East stand hoop View Post
    I think that if the fai are going to maintain the 1st division reserve teams should be added, it doesnt look like any new clubs are going to join so 1/3 reserve sides would make a decent short term solution. I know the crowds wont be great but would likely be better than salthill and mervues attendances lately
    It really won't make a decent short term solution, except give the league numbers. How would promotion work? Top 1st team promoted, and 2nd and 3rd placed first team in the playoff? Or would there be no promotion at all if the top teams are reserve teams? How would the 1st team clubs be able to market themselves, especially if the reserve teams turn out to be better or competitive?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    In Spain, the B team can never play in the same league as the first team, so if Barcelona B won the Segunda Division the next highest team would take their spot, and similarly if Barca were relegated the B team would have to drop to the third tier, although that obviously wouldn't apply in Ireland and the club would need to be replaced or change to an uneven number of teams.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean South View Post
    Since 2000 how times has the premier league changed the amount of teams in it?
    Even though rhetorical here you go

2000/01 - 12 team - 2 relegated (PD team won play off)
    2001/02 - 12 team - 3 relegated (PD team won play off)
    2002/03 - 10 team - 1 relegated (PD team won play off)
    2003 - 10 team - 1 relegated (PD team won play off)
    2004 - 10 team - 1 relegated (no play off)
    2005 - 12 team - 2 relegated (inc PD team who lost play off)
    2006 - 12 team - 1 team folded, Waterford lost play off but stayed up for licensing reasons
    2007 - 12 team - 2 relegated (inc PD team who lost play off)
    2008 - 12 team - 3 relegated (no play off)
    2009 - 10 team - PD team won play off, Bray relegated but stayed up for licensing reasons
    2010 - 10 team - 2 PD teams stayed up via play offs, Drogheda relegated but stayed up for licensing reasons
    2011 - 10 team - 1 team relegated (who then folded)
    2012 - 12 team - 1 team folded, PD team won play off

The last time teams dropped from PD and played in 1st the following season was Harps and UCD in 2008-09 (Cobh also relegated but dropped to A league)
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,350 Posts
    If we resort to reserve teams, I honestly think I'd completely lose interest. It's depressing enough as it is. All well and good for the bigger Premier teams to have the 12 team Premier and not care about the First division, but I'd guarantee a few changes in opinion if some of those clubs were subjected to this farce for a year of two.

Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast