Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: FAI Invites First Division Expressions of Interest

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    There is some real comedy gold in this thread....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    I am really enjoying this thread and with possible solutions and other peoples opinions and ideas of how the league is faltering and reasons and justifications for it. the truth is though it is not one reason that has caused this and we cant fully blame the EPL or the FAI either. Clubs are just as guility of this also. The problem is about 50 years or bad decision making and bad planning in the league that really has the league really fooked.

for a solution there really needs to be a tackling of each individual issue and addressing it. we all know that the product is not good enough, the facilities are not good enough, the support is not good enough, the administration of the game is not good enough. We can all point this out and also we can also point it out on a macro level and even a micro level and for each individual club there could be varying levels of differences in the outcomes.

to be honest it probably will take just as long as it took to destroy the league as it will be to fix.
    Long Live King Kenny

3. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Jinxy I agree fully with you about the length and depth of the problem. I've always found that too many LOI clubs operate in some sort of day to day existence with delusions of squander. Only for Mick Wallace's backing Wexford would be gone as fans want trophies and bragging rights, so a thrifty club is doomed. The only way for the FAI to build a proper league is to look at medium to long term growth and stick with it, not just face safe with actions like this. What well run junior club would want transparency and hassle of the First Division?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    So a armature club just happens to have €19k lying about before they even consider other expenses like wages, food, travelling, accommodation, match day expenses?

Where exactly does this €19k go anyhow?

Regarding the invitation for new clubs this is just the FAI's lazy half assed attempt to say they tried to solve the problem. They do this and don't have to sit down with the club and actually discuss the problem..
    Someone has to pay for it....

images.jpg

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    I'd be inclined to say start at the top. Have the FAI commission a detailed, specific, structured five, ten, and twenty year plan for the league, and Irish football in general from people who actually know what they're talking about (I suggested Leicester De Montfort University a while back as an ideal option). Don't spare any expense in getting together something that will work, and then don't compromise at all in its implementation. No fudge, if a club steps over the line, they get hit with instant, non-negotiable sanctions.

Suggestions would be:

-Infrastructural development fund set up within 2 years to provide loans to help LOI clubs fund grounds and youth structures.
    -LOI living within its means within 5 years. Strict and comprehensive financial regulation with points deductions for breaching them. If a club gets docked 5 points for breaching the financial framework, they'll be unlikely to chance it in the hope of getting success. Fewer clubs going bust means more money for investment in fanbase development and ground improvement.
    -A fully-integrated national pyramid under the control of the FAI within 10 years (if junior clubs would prefer to remain big fish in a small pond, good luck getting any funding or coaching at all out of the FAI).

A club, any club, has its own interests at heart. It wants to win trophies, and as a rule, has almost zero interest in the good of the league as a whole. That's not a criticism, it's just a fact of life. Leadership has to come from the top.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    That would make too much sense you see.

10. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Expressions of interest? Having spent the last six seasons watching First Division football, I'd like to tell the FAI I have absolutely zero interest in it!

I had the displeasure of travelling to Drom again last Friday. Every time I go there, I cringe at the state of the First Division. Great junior league set-up, but a complete indictment of the League of Ireland with it's huge slope from one of the pitch to the other, slightly lesser slope from one side of the pitch to the other, zero seats, no cover unless you count going inside to the clubhouse, no food for away fans except for crisps/chocolate from a vending machine, teamsheet programme - pretty much none of the things 'required' for licensing.

12. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Was just writing a little bit on this last night and on typing the phrase "those in charge of strategic planning for the league" I realised I had no clear idea who was in charge of this. I assume Fran Gavin is the main man.

When you think about the issues the league has (and what is more fundamental than dropping numbers of participant clubs?) it's mad to think that not only is there no plan, there's no indication that one might be put in place or acknowledgement that one might be needed. Perhaps behind closed doors there are mighty deeds afoot to bring the league to a new found popularity and prosperity and I just don't know about them.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Was just writing a little bit on this last night and on typing the phrase "those in charge of strategic planning for the league" I realised I had no clear idea who was in charge of this. I assume Fran Gavin is the main man.
    Someone can correct me if Im wrong but isn't it Eamonn Naughton (ousted GUFC director and current member of of the great Salthill Devon FC) that would have this roll?

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Originally Posted by Terry
    where GUFC will have 1st refusal on the players at both clubs
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post

What does this mean?

What happens if Galway and another club want to sign a player on amateur terms with Mervue or Salthill?

Are you suggesting that Galway will have some type of preferential rights? How would that be enforced if the player did not want to sign?
    Terry - Can you clarify?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    It's all rumours as of yet but basically, the 2 u19 teams will be like feeder clubs from what Im told. The players that go through the u19 route rather than the junior league route once they are past the juvenile age groups will be looking at going up the grades in the LOI whilst remaining based in Galway to improve the development of soccer locally. Obviously no one will be held against their will, the structure will be there so there will at long last a proper stepping stone for players in the Galway FA with no sign of Intermediate football in the region for some time yet.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    Can Premier Division clubs enter B teams into the first division?
    Can't see it being a problem if you pay the entry fee , we currently have a B team in the premier division they are based out of Tallaght and doing shockingly bad considering the players are getting paid a lot more than the A team.

19. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Never was historically a big proponent of the one division league.

My views have altered radically this season.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    If you think the First Division is a waste of time now, wait till the numbers are made up of "clubs" that can't get promoted.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    The more I look at a First Division of 8 teams, the more it makes me accept the 'B' team idea.

Right now, I'd take Shamrock Rovers 'B' or Sligo Rovers 'B' over Salthill Devon or Mervue.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    The more I look at a First Division of 8 teams, the more it makes me accept the 'B' team idea.

Right now, I'd take Shamrock Rovers 'B' or Sligo Rovers 'B' over Salthill Devon or Mervue.
    If you think home attendances and interest is low now wait till you have flipping reserve teams coming to town.

24. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    If you think home attendances and interest is low now wait till you have flipping reserve teams coming to town.
    Would people really be more interested in watching Salthill than a PD reserve side?

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Would people really be more interested in watching Salthill than a PD reserve side?
    Probably more down to the perception people would get. It really makes the first division look like a reserve league then.

Personally I'd see no problem cause at least it might cut down the amount of times teams play each other.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I think it would ultimately kill the clubs like us, harps, athlone, Waterford (2 of whom won't be going up).

8 (or less) will ultimately kill them too, unless there's an increase in numbers up and down (2 down, 2 up and a playoff). If bohs or shels (or both) come down they'd be favourites for automatic promotion.

It can't go on like this, but I don't think reserve teams is the solution. One division or a radical redesign/ reformat.

28. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    one division worked for sixty years up to 1985-why can they try it again? it could be a turnin pt for all clubs...
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast