Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: FAI Invites First Division Expressions of Interest

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    I have never, ever witnessed a scene like the one Nesta described above. If anything, I've seen more scorn the other way (and by that, I mean a tiny amount).

We're also way off the OP. Does anyone know, with anything approaching certainty, of a club that has an interest in trying to get into the FD? GUST obviously want back in, we've know that for a while, but anyone else? Is it just the FAI going through the motions?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Damn UCD fans looking for evidence based information - will i get away without referencing? Its all on the attendance thread....

Taken from week 19

Tallaght: 2927
    Sligo: 2621
    Cork: 1979
    Limerick: 1942

Top 4 attendances at the to 4 grounds.

Dundalk: 1760
    Derry: 1588
    Bohs: 1552
    Pats: 1368
    Shels: 1041
    Bray: 959
    Drogs: 893
    UCD: 420

Ok Pats are a fly in the ointment with a decent ground and top of the league - just a strange one when european games indicate an ability to attract more.
    Dundalk (excluding away section), Derry, Bohs, and Shels for one reason or another are mediocre grounds with the Brandywell the best of the three. Bray and Drogs next. With UCD again an odd one to call as the Bowl is fine for purpose but small, open and lacking atmosphere - Drogs ground is in a bad state but generates a cracking atmosphere so there are variable to consider!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I have never, ever witnessed a scene like the one Nesta described above. If anything, I've seen more scorn the other way (and by that, I mean a tiny amount).

We're also way off the OP. Does anyone know, with anything approaching certainty, of a club that has an interest in trying to get into the FD? GUST obviously want back in, we've know that for a while, but anyone else? Is it just the FAI going through the motions?
    I know weve move off thread but Super Sundays on Sky ive seen plenty of incidents ive described and not being resident in Dundalk it is not just a Dundalk experience!

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Up to this season you would get strange looks and questions off people if you sat in a pub in a limerick fc jersey. Do you really support them? Thought they were ****e? Does anyone actually go to games?

Now a lot more people seem to find it a bit more understanding why you'd go to a limerick match. Better facilities, better players, a higher standard. Slowly but surely more people are coming around to the fact that limerick fc represent their city. A bit of success like a cup or title challenge could really see it take off.

Typical for us though just as we start to take off and get more press the hurlers win the Munster title and are in the all Ireland semi-finals, totally dominating the local press and attention of the public.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Has their been any attempt to revive the clubs that went to the wall ? (kilkenny, kildare, Monaghan etc )

Is this invitation just a stab in the dark that their just might be a club willing to step up ? surly the first division cannot survive the way it is.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Monaghan have a team in an Ulster league don't they?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Has their been any attempt to revive the clubs that went to the wall ? (kilkenny, kildare, Monaghan etc )
    An attempt by who? Kildare and Monaghan ran by small committees who found out they couldn't do the job properly. Kilkenny was a one man club to all intents and purpposes. Fine man, but that's never going to be a way to run a club.

Oh and if the barrier to any club joining is a 19k affiliation fee, then they shouldn't be looking at playing in a national league anyway.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Damn UCD fans looking for evidence based information - will i get away without referencing? Its all on the attendance thread....
    You've completely missed the point though. You've said the clubs with the best attendances have the best grounds, therefore good grounds are vital. But the clubs with the best attendances also have "Rovers" in their name, so similar logic would show it's vital to have "Rovers" in your club's name.

You've shown no correlation between having a decent ground and having high attendances. That's my point.

I don't doubt that ground improvements are good for the league in general, but you can't just show a coincidence and say that there's causation. Maybe it's because the clubs have the best attendances - and therefore more money, helped by European qualification, that they have better grounds?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Can Premier Division clubs enter B teams into the first division?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    What i siad was that the clubs with the best grounds have the highest attendences with no mention of a good ground being vital - i acknowledged that there are variables and animolies to this but it is a factual point going on the information that is in the attendances thread is it not? Causition or co-incidence has nothing to do with the point i was making.

I was making the point that perception is the predominant issue with LoI and while there are many many theories on how perception can be improved; some of those theories put into action eg summer season, the only feasable 'quick fix' that i can see is to get the Sky treatment similar to where other sports have been reinvigorated, darts being the example i used.

Secondary to that infrastructure plays a role to perception, in particular when comparisons are constanly there in the forms of SPL, lower English league grounds and indeed some of the Irish league grounds! as an aside more than anything i noted the better gates in LoI are at the better stadia. Such infrastructure is not feasably improvable in most part in the foreasble future - hence my sky sports opinion in making it trendy is one of the few open options. The basis of a sellable product is there.

Yes i agree with you that if UCD had the best ground in the league that would not necessarily improve gates as in some cases a club is what is and there is limited scope to grow. It is quite difficult to prove that improved facilities has not caused improved gates at the top 4 examples given either. To suggest that it may only be co-incidence that improved attendance for Limerick happened and is not due to Thomand is not very scientific either. Sligo are constantly improving and expanding the seating capacity at the Showgrounds and have sold out a number of times, greater capacity = bigger attendence for sell outs. If Dundalk improve the away section more away fans would attend(all boycotting fans would be happy to return) - causation or co-incidence?

I havent missed you point nor have stated something that isnt backed up unles i was giving a personal opinion!

On topic I do think that some former league members should be approached to see if there is a possibility to return. Monaghan is a good example where they could do something similar to Wexford Youths bringing players throught the local setup. Newbridge, Tralee, Kilkenny, GUST, Fanad, Navan maybe, Castlebar, Thurles, Mullingar, Cavan Town, Carlow? could have involvement in some guise if incentivised with, for example, amatuer membership fee for those fielding amatuer teams? How to structure a league is another story but imo Junior clubs should have a more direct route to Senior football and it should be a finincial benefit not a cost burden therefore a restructuring of not only membership fees but also prize monies. all ifs and buts i know but if junior football thought there might be even just a few quid for them in a restructuring they may not be so quick to outvote senior clubs on proper nationwide footbaling issues.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 04/08/2013 at 4:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FAI
    The Football Association of Ireland (FAI) invites expressions of interest from clubs/entities interested in participating in the Airtricity League First Division for the 2014 Season.
    http://www.fai.ie/domestic-a-grassro...-interest.html

They want more teams in the 1st Division?

Are they crazy, we need One Division League, not this.
    Would the lack of promotion/relegation have any impact on the status of the league? Would it put places in UEFA competitions in jeopardy?
    FIFA has a section in its statutes about sporting integrity which mentions the principle of promotion and relegation. This may be why the FAI is so set against a one-division league.
    Fight the good fight!

(Now with my very own account on foot.ie - How cool am I? - 15/02/07)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    What i siad was that the clubs with the best grounds have the highest attendences with no mention of a good ground being vital - i acknowledged that there are variables and animolies to this but it is a factual point going on the information that is in the attendances thread is it not? Causition or co-incidence has nothing to do with the point i was making.

I was making the point that perception is the predominant issue with LoI and while there are many many theories on how perception can be improved; some of those theories put into action eg summer season, the only feasable 'quick fix' that i can see is to get the Sky treatment similar to where other sports have been reinvigorated, darts being the example i used.

Secondary to that infrastructure plays a role to perception, in particular when comparisons are constanly there in the forms of SPL, lower English league grounds and indeed some of the Irish league grounds! as an aside more than anything i noted the better gates in LoI are at the better stadia. Such infrastructure is not feasably improvable in most part in the foreasble future - hence my sky sports opinion in making it trendy is one of the few open options. The basis of a sellable product is there.

Yes i agree with you that if UCD had the best ground in the league that would not necessarily improve gates as in some cases a club is what is and there is limited scope to grow. It is quite difficult to prove that improved facilities has not caused improved gates at the top 4 examples given either. To suggest that it may only be co-incidence that improved attendance for Limerick happened and is not due to Thomand is not very scientific either. Sligo are constantly improving and expanding the seating capacity at the Showgrounds and have sold out a number of times, greater capacity = bigger attendence for sell outs. If Dundalk improve the away section more away fans would attend(all boycotting fans would be happy to return) - causation or co-incidence?

I havent missed you point nor have stated something that isnt backed up unles i was giving a personal opinion!

On topic I do think that some former league members should be approached to see if there is a possibility to return. Monaghan is a good example where they could do something similar to Wexford Youths bringing players throught the local setup. Newbridge, Tralee, Kilkenny, GUST, Fanad, Navan maybe, Castlebar, Thurles, Mullingar, Cavan Town, Carlow? could have involvement in some guise if incentivised with, for example, amatuer membership fee for those fielding amatuer teams? How to structure a league is another story but imo Junior clubs should have a more direct route to Senior football and it should be a finincial benefit not a cost burden therefore a restructuring of not only membership fees but also prize monies. all ifs and buts i know but if junior football thought there might be even just a few quid for them in a restructuring they may not be so quick to outvote senior clubs on proper nationwide footbaling issues.
    I tend to glance over most posts on this site but Cavan Town got my attention. Seriously? I can't be arsed with reading your post in full but it's probably pure moon man stuff. Cavan Town!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    One thing you could be sure of with Cavan Town is they're never going to spend beyond their means.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Note the question mark after the sentence! Cootehill more to your likeing then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean South View Post
    I tend to glance over most posts on this site but Cavan Town got my attention. Seriously? I can't be arsed with reading your post in full but it's probably pure moon man stuff. Cavan Town!
    I can see it now, Cavan Town Ultras
    I have scattered my dreams underneath your feet, tread carefully, cos it's my dreams you walk on.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    c) they probably don't want their financials being looked over anyway.
    They needn't be worried about that. The FAI have a great track record of wilfully ignoring dodgy finances.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    They needn't be worried about that. The FAI have a great track record of wilfully ignoring dodgy finances.
    I meant more in terms of the Revenue. I doubt any LSL clubs document any of the payments they make to players and all concerned would like to keep it that way.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Oh and if the barrier to any club joining is a 19k affiliation fee, then they shouldn't be looking at playing in a national league anyway.
    So a armature club just happens to have €19k lying about before they even consider other expenses like wages, food, travelling, accommodation, match day expenses?

Where exactly does this €19k go anyhow?

Regarding the invitation for new clubs this is just the FAI's lazy half assed attempt to say they tried to solve the problem. They do this and don't have to sit down with the club and actually discuss the problem..
    Last edited by Neish; 05/08/2013 at 10:50 AM.
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    From going to college in Cavan I can safely say there will never be a LOI team in Cavan. They don'y even know what the LOI is and thats no joke.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Outside of Dublin, there should be a close correlation between the various schoolboy leagues and league of Ireland clubs. Football at schoolboy has a very high participation rate and is well organised in many cases. In the north east, Drogheda are going quite a bit of work with Meath clubs, while Dundalk have worked to develop links with clubs in south Monaghan and east Cavan. The lack of money in the game and the failure of the FAI to understand the importance of a proper pyramid structure is hampering these efforts.

22. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast