Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Limerick Desmond League 2013/14

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Limerick Desmond League 2013/14

Well,is there many teams back training,what players are signed and what about transfer rumours,who will win the leg,my bet is NCW,to follow on from last year with abbey to put in a big shout for second,roll on next month.
    Fail to prepare,prepare to fail--R.keane.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Why Abbeyfeale?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Unless there is big changes to this years teams I dont think there will be much change in the outcome of the league. I think Broadford will run NCW closer with NCW shading it. I think Rockhill will get relegated with Carrig. Glin barely surviving again. The other 5 teams to finish in a cluster in the middle, a lottery as to what order.

Division 1 I think Killeaney will keep up their yoyo form and come up with Kildimo. Dont know what happened Kildimo last season but their form in the first 12 games cant have been a fluke so I think they will pip NCW Rovers and Glantine to promotion. Hard to know if NCW Rovers will keep their best players but their strong youths team might have a say in that. Old Mill and Askeaton or Pallaskenry to get relegated

Division 2 I dont know much about. I saw Kilcornan and Adare play last year and they were both quite poor and struggling for numbers so I'd be surprised if there wasnt 2 teams better than them in the division. Although Adare had a decent youths team last year. Kilcornan have good new facilities so maybe that could attract players, hopefully because I have a soft spot for kilcornan. Great underage there

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Anyone know when the new season kicks off? I heard there is going to be changes at newcastle west with players and managers that will probably affect there season in a big way but I suppose nothing definite yet as it is only pre season. Broadford also supposed to have new manager. I think athea and rockhill will add to the league this year with athea being a good footballing side and rockhill very physical and tough to beat, should make for harder points to gain than last year. Any other rumours?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Saw Athea Utd tonight in a friendly, they looked extremely fit and played decent football.
    Should be fine in the premier I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Well lads the new season is only 2 weeks away, any fixtures yet ? many transfers?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Congratulations to tommy culhane of glin rovers and mike o keeffe of Newcastle west on being selected for Irish junior trials in the upcoming weeks

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Any sign of a fixture list? Hoping for a few good friday games to kick us off as I wont get to see many Sunday games this year, at least not in desmond league.

Michael O Keeffe, well deserved call up. I have great time for him, great attitude and great player.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    I see in the limerick city thread that tony quaid has left Newcastle west and signed for janesboro.. Big loss for ncw and the league

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Any other signings in and out of clubs?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    RESULT

Friendly Match
    Wednesday 14-08-2013
    St Brendan's Park Fc (Kerry Premier A) 2-6 Abbeyfeale Utd (Desmond League)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    League begins on Friday August 23 with games in the Premier and 2nd divisions.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Anyone know the fixtures for Friday week or have they been revealed yet?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I remember seeing the fixtures, i'll try and get them right,
    Ballingarry v Abbeyfeale was the stand out game for me
    Athea v Carrig
    Shannonside v NCW
    Broadford v Rockhill
    Rathkeale v Glin
    I think thats how they went. I would fancy Rathkeale Broadford NCW and Athea. The other is a tough one to call

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rathkeale my bet to have a say in the title race if they start well and keep the interest. Have the players to do it. Ncw won't be as strong. Tony quaid came off the bench for janesboro last night against regional. It's time he went and played in the city. Was the best player in the league when he wants to be I think, and he doesn't get a call up? Has to be better than tommy culhane! And mikie o keefe would not like the job of marking him I'm sure he'd tell you

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Ya I agree with patrooney there. I thought quaid would have got a call up to the irish trials alright. In my opinion better than culhane by far. Then again culhane is a serious player as well.bad start for him in limerick only coming on as a sub and then losing their first game of the season. Might get sick of it if they lose few more games. Anyone hear of any signings in the premier division. Very quiet in here this year

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Broadford id say to win the league. NCW to run them close and maybe rathkeale. Anyone know anything about signings whos playin wit who this year. anyone out there wit anything to report on teams it seems very quite this year for some reason

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Very quiet I'd say because people have lost interest in the league, same old story each year for the last 2 or 3 years. Broadford and Newcastle to contest league, usually followed by Rathkeale and Abbeyfeale, newly promoted teams to struggle. Any decent players the last few years have gone to either broadford or Newcastle so there's probably very little transfer talk because all the players are staying with them. I think lower league clubs should look around and see if they can amalgamate with another club nearby( examples askeaton/ ballysteen, or askeaton/ creeves, kilcornan/ pallaskenry or kildimo/ pallaskenry, glantine/ st itas). I know it would take a lot of work and negotiation to get it done but a prime example is shannonside, they were 2 yo-yo clubs going no where and they have won 2 league cups, a Desmond cup and were very close to the league a few years ago since forming. It therefore improves clubs chances of really contesting for a league, this in turn reduces the number of teams in the league, which is not a bad thing in my opinion, but more important, it improves the standard of the league. Fewer teams means better standard, improved competition for places in a team, improved numbers at training. Again just my opinion. Oh and 1 more point. Half 10 kick off, really shows up the drinkers from the night before. Discuss!!!!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Couldn't agree more you lad. Kick off should be half ten like in the district league. I also agree with you with two towns/villages join as one team. Shannonside have done it as you mentioned and have been successful.I see in the observer today that frank nelligan is tipping abbeyfeale for the premier division.anyone know what has changed that he is tipping a team to win the league even though they finished 24points behind ncw as he mentioned in the paper. Best game this weekend would probably be Shannonside vs ncw or abbeyfeale vs ballingarry

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Friday 23rd August

Premier Division
    Shannonside V Newcastle West (away)
    Glin Rovers V Rathkeale (draw)
    Athea Utd V Carrig Celtic (draw)
    Rockhill Rovers V Broadford Utd (away)
    Abbeyfeale Utd V Ballingarry (home)

Weekly Observer Division 2
    Ballysteen V Granagh Utd (away)
    Ferry Rangers V Abbeyfeale Utd B (away)
    Feenagh V Athea Utd B (home)
    Kilcornan V Creeves Celtic (draw)
    Adare Utd V Newcastle West B (home)

NOTE:
    Premier Division
    Athea Utd V Carrig Celtic on tonight, Wed, August 21st (ko 6.30pm)
    Last edited by western gale; 21/08/2013 at 5:35 PM.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast