Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: Limerick Desmond League 2013/14

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Its true though, I thought the same aswell! Rathkeale should beat Carrig, Broadford won't get anything easy from Newcastle either!! Was anyone at the Broadford V Rathkeale match the weekend?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Very true good shout. Abbey are a good side but it's weird how they are not challenging for the title every year with he size of the catchment area. They seem to be mid table with teams like Ballongarry who have about a quarter of their catchment area often finishing ahead of them. Great finish to the league this year, I feel that Broadford will have a tough game against NCW and Carrig have been very good this year so won't make it easy on Rathkeale as they are trying to finish 3rd

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Excellent point Good Shout... Only thing I would argue is the size of Broadford's catchment area, every bit as big when you think about it, people forget that, it should come as no surprise that Broadford are where they are at the moment given their pick.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Excellent point Good Shout... I would argue one point regarding the catchment area Broadford have, their catchment area is equally as big I would say, a lot of people don't realise the size of the area broadford are picking from, it should come as no surprise to anyone that they are where they are.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Premier Division player of the year
    Mickie Lyons (rathkeale)

1st division player of the year
    Padraig Devine (ncw rovers)

2nd division player of the year
    Chris Carey (Adare)

3rd division player of the year
    Tim Frawley (Shountrade)

Merit award
    Neily hogan
    Last edited by fanaticfan; 20/05/2014 at 7:52 PM.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Congrats to all the award winners!
    Mikey Lyons a very deserving winner of the premier division player of the year, seen a few Rathkeale games this year, great player.
    Padraig Devine good player also, very good on the ball & in the air.
    Strange one in Div 2, admittedly I haven't seen Adare play but I thought it would've gone to a player for one of the teams towards the top i.e. Feenagh, Abbey B or NCW B.
    Shountrade walked Div 3, again seen none of their matches either, apparently a good team should at least be Div 1.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Agree with you there sexyfootball. All the players who won the Player of the years deserved them except for the division 2. Adare 3rd last in the league and won only 3 games. I would have gave it to an abbey b player. They are in the league cup final and haven't lost a league game all year.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Should be an exciting weekend with the title decider going on. What way will it go lads?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Like i've said previously Broadford won't get anything handy from N.C.W but I reckon the fact all they have to do is avoid defeat means they will get the point they need to win the league. Obviously it would be great if they lost and Rathkeale beat Carrig, so we could have a league play-off in Askeaton to watch! Whatever way it goes, its come down to the last game of the season, sure what more could you ask?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Shannonside 3-3 Abbeyfeale United. Shannonside came from 3-0 down to get draw. Abbeyfeale now safe. I also heard that Glin Rovers were winning 2-1 at Athea United, so its possible that if they win at home on Sunday and Ballingarry beat Shannonside that there would be another relegation play-off at HQ.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Shannonside 3-3 Abbeyfeale
    Rockhill 0-1 Newcastle
    Ballingarry 4-4 Carrig
    Glin 2-1 Athea

Abbey beat granagh and crowned champions of division 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I went to the N.C.W v Broadford match Sunday morning 4-1 was a fair reflection of the game, Broadford played very well, even missed a penalty. N.C.W seemed to lose intersest after the first goal went in. Tossie Butler got a great 4th goal for them.
    Congrats on winning the league Broadford!
    Glin couldn't stage another great escape, down to Div 1 next season, they should come straight back up though.
    Big win for Killeaney Sunday also, on the verge of promotion now after beating Kildimo 3-0 (score on the Desmond League website)
    Desmond Cup is what its all about now.. N.C.W and Abbey, both have had poor seasons by their standards but i reckon its got the makings of a cracker of a final. I'm going to say N.C.W to win it 3-2.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Broadford champs, Glin relegated after 17 seasons in Prem, Killeaney beat Kildimo 3-0 and Feenagh in pole position for promotion from Division 2, Abbey B Division 2 champs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Anyone know who won the division 3 league cup final between Shountrade & Glin B I think it was. Can't see the result anywhere

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    ALL FIXTURES are subject to alteration until published in the Weekly Observer.

Friday 30th May
    Weekly Observer Division 1
    Kildimo Utd V Glantine 7pm (P. O’Brien)
    St. Itas V Killeaney 7pm in Broadford (G. O’Connor)
    Newcastle West Rovers V Pallaskenry 7pm (J. Molyneaux)
    Rathkeale B V Askeaton 7pm (S. Hartnett)

Weekly Observer Division 2
    Athea Utd B V Ballysteen 7pm (C. Dalton)
    Abbeyfeale Utd B V Creeves Celtic 7pm (E. Barrett)
    Granagh Utd V Newcastle West B 7pm (P. King)
    Ferry Rangers V Adare Utd 7pm (D. Wallace)
    Feenagh V Kilcornan 7pm (J. Roche)

Saturday 31st May
    Weekly Observer Division 3 League Cup Final (extra time & penalties)
    Glin Rovers B V Shountrade, 2pm, Clounreask, (B. Nash, T. Fitzmaurice, J. Molyneaux, 4th Official TBC)

Weekly Observer Desmond Cup Final (90 minutes)
    Newcastle West V Abbeyfeale Utd, Clounreask, 7pm, (P. O’Connor, G. O’Connor, P. Manning, D. O’Gorman)

Wednesday 4th June
    Weekly Observer Desmond Cup Final (extra time & penalties) (provisional fixture, if required
    Newcastle West V Abbeyfeale Utd, Clounreask, 730pm, (P. O’Connor, G. O’Connor, P. Manning, D. O’Gorman)

Sunday 8th June
    Weekly Observer Premier Division League Cup Final (extra time & penalties)
    Abbeyfeale Utd V Carrig Celtic, 230, Clounreask, (L. O’Connor, P. O’Brien, P. Manning, 4th Official TBC)
    "I always used to put my right boot on first, and then obviously my right sock" - Barry Venison

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I can't believe they put the reply down for a Wednesday night , what about players working away an people like myself that would go an watch it if I was home from work, no thought went in to this in my opinion . And yes I kno it mite never matter as der cud be a result sat nite. Best of luck to both and here's hoping for a cracking final as last few have been drab affairs!! Just my opinion

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by southern kid View Post
    I can't believe they put the reply down for a Wednesday night , what about players working away an people like myself that would go an watch it if I was home from work, no thought went in to this in my opinion . And yes I kno it mite never matter as der cud be a result sat nite. Best of luck to both and here's hoping for a cracking final as last few have been drab affairs!! Just my opinion
    On fixtures nothing surprises me - if it were to go to replay you'd imagine the crowd would be small on a Wed night.
    TBF the league do what they like and have no regard really for smaller clubs in regard to fixtures!

Every year Abbey B are allowed to play 3-4 games until after xmas when all others have way more (This season I'm sure all other teams had at least 9 each played, some in double figures) - they are a good team but for the last 8-9 weeks of the season they get to play every week and most likely twice with Friday/Sunday games to try and catch up - easier to play themselves into a bit of form esp when some of the teams have maybe 1 game every 2/3 weeks after a long break for the bad weather, interest wanes HUGELY once teams have little to play for and GAA kicks in which effects many clubs and weakens many teams from March on (Knocka's W/O in the Desmond a case in point)

We got a league match fixed for a Thurs and when we contacted to say it was a load of BS coz of fellas working away and at college they said that's fine, arrange it when ye want but if ye dont play this Thurs "Player A" wont be able to play in yer league cup final the following Saturday as we'll be notifying ye of a suspension tomorrow!!! Thats what you're dealing with

fanaticfan
    Agree with you there sexyfootball. All the players who won the Player of the years deserved them except for the division 2. Adare 3rd last in the league and won only 3 games. I would have gave it to an abbey b player. They are in the league cup final and haven't lost a league game all year.
    See your point on this fanaticfan - one would have thought an Abbey player would have got it with their run to the title - maybe my point above might have had a baring - I'd have to check when I got the email about voting but I'd wonder if Abbey had even played all the teams in the division once never mind twice when voting happened
    To be fair to the lad who won, we played Adare twice - he was up front - was fairly lively and put himself about for a young lad. I know when they sent out the list of nominees his was 1 of 2 names i'd recognized from the teams we'd played - voting can all over the place as you'd do well to know all the names - if they included pictures it would be easier associate players I would think, you'll always recognize a fella who played even if you dont know his name - I'm surprised you dont see more strange results, we'd a number of people who wanted to vote for a lad from Feenagh coz he'd the same name as one of our lads

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Langerdan007 View Post
    Every year Abbey B are allowed to play 3-4 games until after xmas when all others have way more (This season I'm sure all other teams had at least 9 each played, some in double figures) - they are a good team but for the last 8-9 weeks of the season they get to play every week and most likely twice with Friday/Sunday games to try and catch up - easier to play themselves into a bit of form esp when some of the teams have maybe 1 game every 2/3 weeks after a long break for the bad weather, interest wanes HUGELY once teams have little to play for and GAA kicks in which effects many clubs and weakens many teams from March on (Knocka's W/O in the Desmond a case in point)
    I'm surprised you dont see more strange results, we'd a number of people who wanted to vote for a lad from Feenagh coz he'd the same name as one of our lads
    Haha, thats hillarious, the last part!!
    Also with regards to catching up with games you're right, it happens in most of the divisions to be fair, for teams struggling at the bottom they'd be hoping to be playing their last few games against mid-table teams who are safe with lads involved in other sports i.e. 'weakened' teams!
    This Desmond Cup final better be good!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sexyfootball View Post
    Haha, thats hillarious, the last part!!
    Also with regards to catching up with games you're right, it happens in most of the divisions to be fair, for teams struggling at the bottom they'd be hoping to be playing their last few games against mid-table teams who are safe with lads involved in other sports i.e. 'weakened' teams!
    This Desmond Cup final better be good!!
    TBF we might have voted for him if the secretary hadnt taken the reins
    Its like valuing the opinion of the manager of the Tuvalu National team in the voting for World Player of the Year!!!

Things might have gotten exacerbated this season with the long weather break but it's really annoying, I think we all know this time of year results in mid table can be "agreed" when teams are struggling for numbers and if things are tight at the top OR BOTTOM the team who is catching up I would say are at an advantage!

Although you're right it happens in all leagues I think its a big issue with the B teams though as although they aren't all entered in all the cups when their A teams are entered its considered a club entry and players from both are entitled to play so you find if a good premier side go deep in 3 or 4 cups their B team struggle getting games played - also has a knock on effect in the premier then with those teams having fewer games played but it might effect 5 or 6 teams in that division rather than 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Langerdan007 View Post
    Things might have gotten exacerbated this season with the long weather break but it's really annoying, I think we all know this time of year results in mid table can be "agreed" when teams are struggling for numbers and if things are tight at the top OR BOTTOM the team who is catching up I would say are at an advantage!

Although you're right it happens in all leagues I think its a big issue with the B teams though as although they aren't all entered in all the cups when their A teams are entered its considered a club entry and players from both are entitled to play so you find if a good premier side go deep in 3 or 4 cups their B team struggle getting games played - also has a knock on effect in the premier then with those teams having fewer games played but it might effect 5 or 6 teams in that division rather than 1.
    You talk an unbelievable amount of sense, its great to hear. Where's all the other banter, that's what these forums are for like... not just for fixtures etc.
    The teams towards the bottom in those situations are most definitely at an advantage alright, it can be annoying if they have games in hand on teams who have the correct no. of fixtures played.
    Anyways what are we all thinking about the Desmond Cup final Saturday night? I reckon N.C.W to retain it.

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast