Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Foot.ie / General IT & Admin Internship Available

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts

Exclamation Foot.ie / General IT & Admin Internship Available

I've been putting this off for ages because I'm not a huge fan of the internship programme, but my workload is growing and the 2 smallies at home aren't helping, so I'm going to bite the bullet and go for it. I'm putting it here first because Foot.ie is one of the things that I can get off my plate almost entirely, and someone that's into football should do a better job than me anyway. Foot.ie would only be part of the job though, there'd be web and business admin stuff too, plus possibly the likes of sysadmin down the line.

The "position" is for 6 months, and one of the first tasks will be learning how Foot.ie works from an administrative point of view, and gradually taking over the management from me. Ideally you'd have ideas on how to improve the site too, particularly from an editorial perspective as that's extremely under-developed on the site. I'll upgrade the site to vBulletin 5 and we'll take it from there.

Even with extra work you generate for yourself though, you'll still only fill an hour or two of your day with Foot.ie, so there'll be other work too. Off the top of my head, you'll probably need to do some content management on client websites, and some admittedly tedious tidying on my billing system and hosting platform. Similarly, at the outset I'll make work for you in the spreadsheet and word processing categories while I get to know you and figure out what else you can take off my plate.

If you're very comfortable with IT and willing to apply yourself and throw ideas at me (and be ok with having most of them shot down, albeit constructively), you should come out of the internship with lots of knowledge about how a growing IT business works. Specifically, you'll learn about webdev and all the associated bits and bobs like hosting (I run my own servers in a data centre I helped build), domain names, SSL, ecommerce, content management, etc. You'll also learn about the business side of things, like talking to and managing clients and billing.

Job prospects from me are, to be blunt, very small. My business is growing, thankfully, but even if it increases at the rate it is, and your management of Foot.ie brings in more revenues, it's unlikely I would be able to afford to take you on without borrowing, and that's something I wouldn't take lightly. That being said, if it's possible to come to some arrangement, I'm always willing to listen, up to and including revenue share on Foot.ie, or part-time work for Beecher Networks.

Your first job will be to organise the JobBridge stuff.

If you're interested, PM me for an address and we'll talk via email and/or skype/gchat; the PM system here makes tracking conversations a pain in the arse. I'm closing this thread as I don't want it messed up with jokes and messing, however I'm happy to hear feedback either via PM or another thread.

Thanks,
    adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    I thought it would be clear but there does seem to be some confusion: This is a Job Bridge internship, you need to be unemployed to take part. You can read the details about it here. This'll be advertised directly via Job Bridge early next week, so if you're interested speak up now. Again, since Foot.ie will be a daily part of the job, it would be nice to have someone familiar with the site - and better yet, with ideas for the site - to work with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    I'm back to this again, nothing came of it last year and I ploughed on myself in the meantime. There's a definite uptick in my sector at the moment though, I've had a fair amount of upsell business from a client base I was asked to take over, and my existing clients are moving more of their services to me. Even non-word of mouth business is increasing, which is odd because I don't advertise -- something the intern needs to take care of!

The prospect of a job at the end of the internship is much higher now -- I'm still drawing a tiny wage myself so I absolutely can't afford to take on an employee yet, but if business continues to come in at the rate it is, and the intern is quick on the uptake and easy to get on with, I'm confident I'll be able to find funding for employee #3 (I'm #1, wifey's #2 but doesn't draw a wage) at the start of 2015, if they choose to continue.

Myself and the wife are currently developing a work plan for the internship with specifics on daily and weekly tasks, including sales & marketing research, customer follow-ups and upsells, pricing research and management, and marketing and offers via the blog; and more technically WordPress and Magento training and development, web hosting and VPS management, Linux system administration, domain name organisation (big transfer to another registrar to handle), and the development of a standalone website for SSL sales. Plus Foot.ie of course, and plenty more besides.

I'll post that here when it's completed, and the internship filed with Jobbridge. And, for the record, I still don't like the way internship has been implemented in Ireland, but it is what it is, and I need to take advantage of what's there if I want my business to grow, and my kids to have a few luxuries in life. A pension would be nice too, my current monthly contribution wouldn't feed a cat.

This thread will remain locked because of the childish responses that were posted here the last time, which completely ignored the fact that if it wasn't for the equivalent of interns on Foot.ie - moderators - it wouldn't exist.

And with that out of the way, please do send a PM or email me via beecher.net if you're unemployed, eligible and interested. It's an extra few quid a week and you'll learn a lot, I'm a good teacher when I'm not shouting.

Thanks,
    Adam