Thread: Five Young Players to Watch

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts

Five Young Players to Watch

According to http://balls.ie/football/five-young-...e-next-season/

Albeit we all already know about McCarthy and Brady.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It's a bit of a lopsided feature. Brady and McCarthy are guaranteed to be playing a lot of games next season but the other three are unlikely to. I can't see Maguire making the West Ham side, while Grealish and Carruthers are up against similar-aged players with a couple of years Football League experience and will find it difficult to break through. It would have made more sense to feature 5 players like them who are on the fringes rather than 3+2.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Agreed - possibly somebody like Bradley Garmston at West Brom, who appears to have had a productive loan spell at Colchester in the last third of the season just past, playing 13 times and helping them stave off relegation from League One

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Exactly, I'd love to see a good feature on our really promising players who are around the fringes of Premier League teams - although I think Garmston is another one who faces a huge battle to break in at West Ham - but I don't see the link between the likes of Brady and McCarthy who have effectively established themselves and guys like Carruthers who have it all to do. The reality is that most of our young players are more likely to turn out like Derrick Williams and Greg Cunningham and will need to take a step back in order to step forward. Even young English players are finding it hugely difficult to break through in the Premier League - just look at Josh McEachran.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Exactly, I'd love to see a good feature on our really promising players who are around the fringes of Premier League teams - although I think Garmston is another one who faces a huge battle to break in at West Ham - but I don't see the link between the likes of Brady and McCarthy who have effectively established themselves and guys like Carruthers who have it all to do. The reality is that most of our young players are more likely to turn out like Derrick Williams and Greg Cunningham and will need to take a step back in order to step forward. Even young English players are finding it hugely difficult to break through in the Premier League - just look at Josh McEachran.
    Definately agree. Josh McEachran is such a talented lad who was a regular in the squad with ancellotti but has disappeared for last 2 years at middlesboro and looked unfit and uninterestedin the euro 21s. its a shame.

For us I think paul George could have a big breakthrough season he has been back about 6months now since that horrid double fracture.It would help if celtic moved on forrest in the window.

I think Murray at watford is likely to have gotten a wake up call last year and with watford not allowed have a whole continent on loan he could have good opportunities and definately has the technique to flourish. Noel King has stuck with him last season when he was struggling .

Anthony forde needs to lock down a starting berth at wolves. last season was a bit of a damp squib the loan moves didnt work out well but he has looked a fine player and must only be 20 so great opportunity.

Same for matt Doherty had a good finish to last season and hopefully will start as first choice this season and kick on.

Alan judge is the next "Hoolahan" massive move to go back to your old club where there will be serious pressure to get promotion but he could definately be one where playing with better players at a higher level lets him express his ball skills more and make up for his lack of physique and he will only turn 25 this season

Shane Duffy prob needs to start seeing action under Martinez or else get away for a season long loan. a repeat of last season would be dissapointing cause he looks like he could survive in the premier league

Wilkinson at bolton could be a bolter very young but bolton are not over stocked with strikers and opportunities hopefully will arise.

For me though this will be the season Grealish breaks through. Hopefully they loan him to championship club for the season and let him get games. he has had 2 seasons of next gen so not much to be gained there and he will not get games at villa as they struggle again. His lack of pace and physique will not suit lambert. Hopefully Noel king involves him at 21s even though he is still under 19 next season as Doolin seems to have sidelined him

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Thanks - that was better than the article. McCarthy is a couple of years out of date.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Five players who among them might contribute something to the senior team in time are Henderson, Clifford, Roberts, Stevens and possibly Wearen, all who are looking for a team to play for this coming season. According to twitter, Wearen is back training at West Ham and has some options (if I am reading his comments correctly). Jamie Devitt mentions Accy in his tweets, so he is possibly training with them.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Surprised that Judge is 25 this season, those last 3 or 4 years have flown by. He really needs to start making an impression and realising that talent at the higher level or it looks unlikely that he will ever make the grade. I make that comment with very little knowledge of his performances over the last year or two whilst on loan more gut feel.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew