Thread: Sligo (H) 24-05-13

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Sligo (H) 24-05-13

Realistically, what are we expecting?
    It's live on RTE so no doubt it will affect the crowd a bit, but still think there'll be over 2 thousand in attendance.
    Results wise, I'd take a draw right now. With the way we've been the last few weeks, we could get beaten well if Sligo are on form.
    Funnily enough, I've a feeling we'll put in a decent performance and run them close. Defence have to be on top form to shut out Elding and need a big game from Gamble and Bradley (if O'Leary doesn't make it)

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I'd expect something similar to the first game between us. We can run them close for a while, but Sligo are just a cut above, especially right now. Any kind of improvement in performance over the last while would be welcome.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    If we can run them close, end the game with eleven on the field and a full compliment on the bench, while having played well, passed well, or better than of late and not made any defensive howlers, then that would do.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    http://www.limerickfc.ie/sligo-preview
    I knew that a few were struggling, but I didn't realise there were so many injuries and question marks over so many for the game.
    Injuries happen, but I can't remember seeing an injury "crisis" like that at the club in a long time.
    It probably just looks worse because of how thin the squad is, but if we pick up anymore, then we're in trouble.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Will there be an outlet for Limerick merchandise in the ground?
    I'm looking for a pin badge, it's the only club I don't have. Thanks.
    I have scattered my dreams underneath your feet, tread carefully, cos it's my dreams you walk on.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redzer View Post
    Will there be an outlet for Limerick merchandise in the ground?
    I'm looking for a pin badge, it's the only club I don't have. Thanks.
    There will be merchandise for sale outside the ground alright but I'd say if you want a pin badge get onto the club through one of the Facebook pages just to guarantee they have one there.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Some terrible injury problems, UCD game was really bad for that. Lot of the lads would have played two hours on Monday too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Some terrible injury problems, UCD game was really bad for that. Lot of the lads would have played two hours on Monday too.
    It is a right pile up on that front certainly. Tricky to predict the starting eleven, or formation even. Hopefully still give a good account though, would be great to hold the league position we have into the break.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Bit of chicanery from Taylor on the injury front maybe in the lead up. All fun & games.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Bit of chicanery from Taylor on the injury front maybe in the lead up. All fun & games.
    Not too sure what to make of it.
    In one sense, Elding had a couple of really good chances that he would have scored another night. We looked dodgy at the back, Elding had the better of O'Callaghan and Folan but didn't score.
    In another sense, we limited them to just those chances. They had an off day. I'm amazed Shaun Kelly finished that game without a yellow card.
    Buttimer made some really questionable calls with his bookings, but for once they seemed to work in our favour.

We were pretty toothless going forward still, but we looked a bit more solid defending. We really only had half chances, Bossekota's 'goal' isn't even up for debate.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    I thought we did very well. We resorted Elding to some poor half chances at goal. One that he may have scored. We knocked the ball around and I thought calla was comfortable against Elding. Our best performance since cork at home.

I thought Bossekotas was definitely a goal at first look but talking to him afterwards he said himself he handballed it so good call by the officials.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    first off thank you buttimer,you had a mare...but all in our favour and helped us on our way to an unlikely point.on another day elding would have scored at least 3,especially in the first 20mins when we barely touched the ball.as the game wore on we came into it,not by much,but competed well enough hard work as it was,have to say how bradley stayed on the pitch is beyond me left gamble and o leary to fend for themselves.cretaro was brilliant for sligo and tbf ryan once again stepped up to the plate for us.gaffeney did well when introduced,made it a lot more uncomfortable for their centrehalfs and we looked more potent with him on.disappointed with the crowd 1800?given at least 200 to 300 hundred from sligo surely the league leaders would have drawn more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    unfortunately our recent home results and lack of goals have put a lot off going. I know a few who would'nt be regular supporters but who came to a few games this season who did'nt bother to attend last night. They said they'd rather stay at home and watch it. Really cant blame them. I was impressed by our performance and happy with the point last night.
    "We've had a lot of good times, but you don't know how good they are until you have the bad ones" Tony Adams

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Credit where it's due to Taylor. In the first 10 minutes or so, Sligo were moving the ball forward far too easily from the back through Ndo. This is owing to the fact that both sides started with 4-5-1 shapes, meaning that both anchormen (in Sligo's case, Ndo) were free.

Taylor noticed this, and pushed O'Leary onto him, leaving us with more of a 4-2-3-1 type shape. Again however, this left us with a familiar problem - the lack of an appropriate player to play between the lines and support the main striker.

Even in the last quarter or so, when Sligo went 4-4-2 and O'Leary no longer had a direct opponent, he was still unable to receive the ball into feet in front of the Sligo defence.

I've made the argument before that we should try Galbraith there. I think he was moved into the middle against Bohs towards the end, and he terrorized the centre of the defence with his direct running. Some kind of 3-5-2 system would suit us, as we could then use two strikers with Galbraith in behind. Kelly and Tracy both have the energy to play as wing backs. Folan would make a good sweeper too. We'd certainly be scoring a lot more from open play than we are at the moment - with a lone striker (Curran) who likes to play with back to goal and no-one running in the opposite direction!

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanOB View Post

Taylor noticed this, and pushed O'Leary onto him
    Bradley even.

Folan best game in a while, Gamble was everywhere, some very good performances shame we never really threatened

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Pretty sure it was O'Leary who was predominantly playing at the top of the triangle. There was some rotation (at times it was Bradley or at the beginning of the second half it was Gamble for a time), but it was mainly O'Leary.

The hairstyles could be confusing me though!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Missed the first 30 minutes due to RTE Player failure (side note: someone I know who works in the department tells me they actually launched an "investigation" when the Player kept failing for weekend sporting events. They found out that the weekend server techs kept doing ill-judged "fixes" and "hacks" for these problems, fixing something while breaking something else, and its been going on for ages). Seemed like a tight enough performance.

Obviously not very adventurous with the lone striker and packed midfield, but that's to be expected with Sligo. Rovers did get some decent chances but were mostly frozen out, and Ryan really is making a strong claim for keeper of the season at this point. We passed it well, and there were plenty of stretches where we were threatening, we just didn't have the options in the box to aim at (especially in the last 20 minutes or so, a lot of crosses to nobody).

Considering the injury/suspension problems and recent form, this is a great result, and a good indicator of what the team is capable of. We honestly don't need that much more to be winning these kind of games.

The crowd, well, tv will do that. I'd be more worried about our second TV outing in a row serving up a somewhat pedestrian 0-0 all draw, which isn't super attractive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanOB View Post
    Pretty sure it was O'Leary who was predominantly playing at the top of the triangle. There was some rotation (at times it was Bradley or at the beginning of the second half it was Gamble for a time), but it was mainly O'Leary.

The hairstyles could be confusing me though!
    The midfield 3 always rotate but the first player pushed onto Ndo was Bradley

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Enjoyed the game, great to see how far the team has progressed so far this season. Speaking to a few of the players after the match and they seemed quite content with the result. Taylor was delighted with them in the dressing room afterwards. Looking at the game i felt O leary was to try and stop ndo from getting on the ball so i agree with AlanOB that of the midfield 3 he was furthest forward. Gaffney i thought was very good when he came on. worked very hard and gave us something different than Axel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Predominately in the 2nd half O'Leary was furthest forward, thought we might capitalise on Ndo fading but it was Bradley who pushed up on him in the first half after about 20/25mins

Gaffney's touch against Waterford was dreadful looke to be getting better the other night alright

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast