Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Europa League

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Turned over from the end of Red Rock to the game and always sensed something might happen when it was 1-2 but not 4-3. I have seldom seen a game played at such breakneck speed. The energy levels of the Liverpool players was something to behold. Of course they looked second best for much of the game but oh to be a Liverpool supporter on a night like that. Nice to see Ian Rush singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" at the end.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    always sensed something might happen when it was 1-2
    So you sensed something might happen for 9 minutes?

I didn't see the game, just the goals afterwards. I'd say Anfield hasn't rocked like that in a while, the Manchester City 3-2 game when they 'won the league' maybe.

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Turned over from the end of Red Rock to the game and always sensed something might happen when it was 1-2 but not 4-3. I have seldom seen a game played at such breakneck speed. The energy levels of the Liverpool players was something to behold. Of course they looked second best for much of the game but oh to be a Liverpool supporter on a night like that. Nice to see Ian Rush singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" at the end.
    I thought it was gone at 3-1 to be honest. Felt like the sucker punch. Unreal though the beauty of football.
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Shakhtar v Sevilla
    Villarreal v Liverpool

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    I thought it was gone at 3-1 to be honest. Felt like the sucker punch. Unreal though the beauty of football.
    Yes, at 1-2 there was still hope. It looked over at 1-3 but fair dues to Liverpool, they still continued to harry and chase and the heads never went down.

Mind you Gary Breen doesn't seem to understand the psyche of fans. He thought the Dortmund fans were privileged (or words to that effect) to be there on a night like that. Then the camera went on their shell shocked faces - I'd say they wished to be anywhere but there. Could a supporter's pain be any worse than losing a 3 goal lead (other than a 4 goal lead of course!).
    Last edited by OwlsFan; 15/04/2016 at 11:20 AM.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,634 Posts
    Could a supporter's pain be any worse than losing a 3 goal lead (other than a 4 goal lead of course!).
    Any excuse to post this...(but especially to pick me up after the horror show Friday night).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6A5S4KorpE0

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBench View Post
    Btw if any of you still don't know yet. Here's the result of the semi-final draw from awhile ago.

Shakhtar v Sevilla
    Villarreal v Liverpool

https://www.facebook.com/SBOBET.Offi...79842578745144
    I was at Villarreal's training facility last week and was talking to the academy staff. They reckon Liverpool's experience will be too great for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Sounds like the famous atmosphere has beaten them already

I'd give them a very good chance. I saw the second half of their game against Real Madrid the other night. They offered nothing in attack but looked fairly well drilled and compact. I'd say they could frustrate Liverpool and they'll get chances themselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Now that was a drab game, it made Man City v Real look like a classic. Steve McManaman was out of control in the aftermath on BT. He really needs to try to separate being a Liverpool fan from his role as a pundit, at least some little bit. He kept saying how frustrated he was that Liverpool 'left this game after them' and all they had to do was 'go for it'. Obviously Klopp could have done more to try to win the game, play a striker for one thing, but whether it would have made a difference or not who knows. It's not as if they showed any signs whatsoever of being able to carve Villarreal open if they just had that intent.

They kept talking about how they expected a lot more from Villarreal but I'm not sure why exactly. They played exactly the same as they looked in the half I saw against Real Madrid, well organised but fairly toothless in attack. Only seven teams in La Liga have scored less goals this season. A 0-0 draw would have been a fairer result I think, seeing as that's what both teams had settled for from an early stage, but what a lovely goal it was to win it. A nice through ball and what a first touch from Suarez. Great composure as well to pick out his teammate for the open goal, everything Moreno lacked moments earlier. It was all about the first touch though which I'm not even sure the BT lads mentioned, Hargreaves may have in commentary alright but there should definitely have been more of a fuss about it.

Villarreal being 4th in La Liga is no big deal anyway, according to McManaman, because they're miles behind third. That's true Steve, 20 points behind Real Madrid, but don't forget that Liverpool are 21 points behind Leicester City.

11. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Super goal, sweet first touch to take it towards goal.

I think Villarreal are well drilled but lacking a goal threat. Not sure that'll be enough at Anfield but the late goal last night was important. If they can nick a goal at Anfield they'll have a great chance. Allen's miss was very bad.

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post

I think Villarreal are well drilled but lacking a goal threat. Not sure that'll be enough at Anfield but the late goal last night was important. If they can nick a goal at Anfield they'll have a great chance. Allen's miss was very bad.
    Yes should have scored. Missed a good chance at Southampton as well last month.
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post

Yeah that's about the size of it. The goal last night was a major bonus for them because it would have been difficult to see them going through otherwise.

It's set up exactly like the Bayern Atletico tie. Obviously the scoreline is the same but the two away teams are defensively strong and not overly creative, but will probably get chances as the two home sides are suspect defensively. The major difference is that we know Atletico have the stomach to really dig in even if the momentum swings, it remains to be seen if Villarreal do too.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Yeah that's about the size of it. The goal last night was a major bonus for them because it would have been difficult to see them going through otherwise.

It's set up exactly like the Bayern Atletico tie. Obviously the scoreline is the same but the two away teams are defensively strong and not overly creative, but will probably get chances as the two home sides are suspect defensively. The major difference is that we know Atletico have the stomach to really dig in even if the momentum swings, it remains to be seen if Villarreal do too.
    I think you are underestimating Villarreal in this tie in relation to what Liverpool have to offer.
    One major difference is Bravo who was underwhelming in Spain but who will probably take centre stage in the 2nd leg. Villarreal are a better team than Liverpool and can play much better than their 1st leg indicated. As it stands now, they have a huge advantage despite playing within themselves at home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    How have I underestimated them though? I'd give them a massive chance, as I did when the draw was made. I thought Bravo looked decent in the 1st Leg, haven't seen too much of him otherwise. I think my comparison to Atletico was reasonable given the similarity of their situations. Dortmund are a better side than Liverpool too but couldn't stomach the momentum swing. I just think it remains to be seen if Villarreal can if it goes that way. They haven't done much to earn my trust just yet, unlike Atletico.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 03/05/2016 at 11:19 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'd agree with geysir that Villarreal are the better team, but Liverpool probably have a little more individual creativity and ability to create something from nothing. I'd still expect Villarreal to do it, but they'll do so keeping it tight.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    How have I underestimated them though? I'd give them a massive chance, as I did when the draw was made. I thought Bravo looked decent in the 1st Leg, haven't seen too much of him otherwise. I think my comparison to Atletico was reasonable given the similarity of their situations. Dortmund are a better side than Liverpool too but couldn't stomach the momentum swing. I just think it remains to be seen if Villarreal can if it goes that way. They haven't done much to earn my trust just yet, unlike Atletico.
    Villarreal are very sound defensively, they have a very good away record, they have the stomach for games like these.

I didn't watch Liverpool win the 2nd leg against Dortmund, I can't possibly comment on that oddity

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    I just can't see Villarreal doing it. Logic and sound analysis say they will, but Liverpool can be a force of nature at home in Europe.

They shouldn't even be in the competition though after Sakho.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Villarreal are very sound defensively
    No doubt.

they have a very good away record
    They've won six away games out of eighteen in Spain, 24 points out of a possible 54 and have a minus GD. I wouldn't call that "very good". They have only lost six also, so in that sense it's not terrible.

they have the stomach for games like these.
    I didn't say they don't have the stomach for these kind of games, as we don't know yet what kind of a game it'll be. They could very easily stop Liverpool playing, frustrate them and hit them with a sucker punch. I was talking about the possibility of a shift in momentum in the tie, how would they react? I'm not bigging Liverpool up, they're very average, but I don't see what Villarreal have done in the past that makes it clear they'd handle that situation well. They may or they may not, I hope they do.

I didn't watch Liverpool win the 2nd leg against Dortmund, I can't possibly comment on that oddity
    I didn't either, but they conceded three goals in the final twenty minutes. I think it's safe to assume they didn't handle the momentum swing very well.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 05/05/2016 at 2:42 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts

They've won six away games out of eighteen in Spain, 24 points out of a possible 54 and have a minus GD. I wouldn't call that "very good". They have only lost six also, so in that sense it's not terrible.
    I meant to refer to games in the EL only. The league in Spain is just choc full of quality teams.

With an all Spanish CL final, Villarreal are already with 1.85 feet straight into next season's CL group stage, therefore this EL thingy is just bonus territory for them, whereas Liverpool fans are showing desperation, working themselves into a frenzy outside Anfield Rd. desperate for the club to salvage some solace after a poor season.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    geysir exposed as a charlatan yet again.

23. Thanks From:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast