Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa League

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts

Europa League

I know this is an old chestnut but following last night's all champions league 3rd placed team final, I can't let it pass.

Where is the benefit for teams of europa league level to have champions league teams being parachuted in? I mean, last night's final should have between teams of a decent level who weren't capable of champions league football this season but having the chance to win a European competition at their level.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Personally I hate it. The reason for 3rd placed teams being allowed in is so UEFA can keep the group stages of the CL interesting even if 2 teams take charge of a group. All about maximising TV appeal and hence revenue.

I think it must be galling for a team in Europa League from the start to see a big team dropped into it as a consolation prize.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Ironically the semi's were all CL-rejects as well. Basel and Fenerbahce both went out in the CL play-off round (to Cluj and Spartak Moscow). Spurs, Lazio, Newcastle and Rubin in the quarters were the last Europa-only teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    I know this is an old chestnut but following last night's all champions league 3rd placed team final, I can't let it pass.

Where is the benefit for teams of europa league level to have champions league teams being parachuted in? I mean, last night's final should have between teams of a decent level who weren't capable of champions league football this season but having the chance to win a European competition at their level.
    That's very funny. I was only thinking of this this morning.

It's amazing where your mind goes when you have no phone on the way to work.

I think it is grossly unfair. But alas... It's UEFA.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I presume it's motivated by money and little else. It must be a bit galling for the likes of Newcastle, who had done so well in getting through game after game on the awkward Thursday nights, to see the likes of Chelsea dropped in just when it starts getting interesting. There's too many games in it anyway. I agreed with Stutts and Peadar in the thread about Wigan being better off winning the FA Cup and being relegated than vice versa but the Europa League is one competition why I can understand teams not giving it their all. Travelling across Europe on Thursday nights is bound to take it's toll. Newcastle could easily have been relegated as a result and it may been justified if they had an actual chance of winning the competition but with Chelsea, Benfica, etc being dropped in for the latter stages, it never looked likely really. I'd imagine Spurs could easily have that 4th spot cemented now as well, if not 3rd, only for their commitment to the competition but at least they probably had more of a realistic chance of winning it.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    Ironically the semi's were all CL-rejects as well. Basel and Fenerbahce both went out in the CL play-off round (to Cluj and Spartak Moscow). Spurs, Lazio, Newcastle and Rubin in the quarters were the last Europa-only teams.
    I don't necessarily mind teams dropping in before or to the group stage. Once the group stage of a competition starts however, that should be the end of any teams dropping in.

I can't see it changing though if this survey by the European Clubs Association (ECA), 207 of the top clubs in Europe, is anything to go by. According to this link: http://www.itv.com/sport/football/ar...s-league-spot/

• 75% expressed "satisfaction" or "extreme satisfaction" with the current structure and format of UEFA's club competitions
    • 92% believe the Champions League and the Europa League should continue to exist in parallel
    • 61% would welcome offering the Europa League winner and/or finalists qualifying directly for the Champions League group stage the following season.

I'd agree with the Europa League winner entering the Champions League. It'll be a positive step to give the competition added status and proper reward for the amount of games being played to win it. I don't think they there could be a complaint about the round of 32. It'd be fair enough for the Europa League to have an extra hurdle of a knock-out round before a team would earn CL qualification. While the Europa League is big enough already, I'd love to see it expanded from 48 to 64 with the top 2 from 16 groups of 4 entering the Round of 32 stage, and no CL 3rd placed sides parachuting in.

The national champions of all leagues should have the safety net of at least a europa league place. Shamrock Rovers two years ago had to get to qualifying round 3 before earning the EL play-off safety net. I think teams knocked out in CL qualifying round 2 should drop into EL qualifier round 3 stage. It'd guarantee all champions of the lower nations at least 4 european games. Rant over.
    Last edited by legendz; 17/05/2013 at 4:15 PM.
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    http://www.itv.com/sport/football/ar...eague-winners/

UEFA seem on the verge of announcing a Champions League spot for the Europa League winner. I think it's a great idea and should boost the competition.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Hmm, it means you could come as low as 10th and then win the Champions Lge. the following season.

Modern 'football' stinks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I think it is a valid prize. My only issue is the fact that 3rd place teams in the Champions League group stages still get into the Europa League. That sucks.

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Like this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    I think it is a valid prize. My only issue is the fact that 3rd place teams in the Champions League group stages still get into the Europa League. That sucks.
    Yeah, I'd go as far as saying this development is a bad thing without the Champions League teams being taken out of the equation as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Yeah, I'd go as far as saying this development is a bad thing without the Champions League teams being taken out of the equation as well.
    It would give a reasonable chance to those teams from the middling leagues of Europe a chance for a team to get into the CL. Now it's just a parachute for a big 'un slipping up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    That's my only issue with is as well. I can't see it changing though. A recent survey of ECA clubs found the majority while wanting a CL spot for the EL winner, they were happy with the current structures.

I've read articles in recent weeks from two managers across the water. Wenger says his club have raised the point with UEFA that is it not fair that 3rd placed CL teams drop into a competition they didn't enter at the beginning or group stage. Villas-Boas has also said he's raised the same point in meeting with UEFA.

UEFA's initial thinking behind CL teams dropping in was to boost the profile of the competition. A CL place back then would have been more appropriate. Now that CL teams are dropping in it's a hard one for them to row back on. Platini isn't supposed to be pleased with the effort of French and Italian clubs towards the EL. It'll be interesting to see how the CL spot shakes up the EL. If certain considered to be major clubs are missing out on a EL trophy and a path to the CL, they might become more vociferous about the unfairness of CL teams dropping in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    It'll be hard to UEFA cutting out 3rd place CL teams dropping into the EL any time soon though it's unfair. It stems from the first season they had 8 groups of 4. This was followed by a second group stage of 4 groups of 4. The consolation for the 8 third placed teams not making the second group stage was the UEFA Cup. It was fair enough in some respects under that format.

When the second group stage turning people off the tournament with too many games and a second lull towards the end of the second group stage, when some teams were already through, UEFA cut out the second group stage and teams have since gone straight into a round of 16. Third place teams dropping into the EL has survived from then.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    I think the 3rd place rule is there to maximise tv money by keeping the group stages interesting and free of dead rubbers at the end of the group stages.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Pretty much. And even then if they could find a way of having a full-scale European League with the G16 or whatever I'm sure they would.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    I think a European elite league would spell the end of UEFA's control of European football. UEFA needs the current configuration of football to retain its position. An elite top-16 league would be controlled by the clubs, shoving UEFA aside and jeopardising the link between elite professional football and international football. UEFA could become an irrelevance.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Maybe, but no bad thing as UEFA are a bunch of cocks and most of these 'elite' clubs are even worse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think a European elite league would spell the end of UEFA's control of European football. UEFA needs the current configuration of football to retain its position. An elite top-16 league would be controlled by the clubs, shoving UEFA aside and jeopardising the link between elite professional football and international football. UEFA could become an irrelevance.
    I think it'll be the G16 that'll become tghe irrelevance.

Sure they'll have audiences in Asia and Ireland but at the end of the day I can see UEFA cracking down HARD if they have to. Cocks or not.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Reckon that'll depend on the size of the back-handers on offer...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast