Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Europa League

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    When's the second leg Del?
    Cheap shot Stu... it's only those damn playoffs that have my measure.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 19/05/2016 at 8:31 AM.

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Loved that game. First 3 goals were all superb. Nightmare second half for Liverpol. Great achievement.
    Yes agree totally incredible achievement to win it three in a row. To win any trophy three in a row.
    Lets talk about six baby

3. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    That is precisely what happened though.
    There is no way on earth you can compare the effect of having a shaky nervy goalie on a Villarreal team under the cosh, to that goalie who played for Sevilla.

I could watch that Sterling goal on a loop for hours, everything about it,including the goalie's efforts, his positioning, his full stretch dive to save and the perfect bend on the ball to get it around the hands and inside the post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    There is no way on earth you can compare the effect of having a shaky nervy goalie on a Villarreal team under the cosh, to that goalie who played for Sevilla.
    Hang on now, let's deal with what you actually said, instead of moving the goalposts to suit your argument. You didn't simply recognise that Sevilla's second choice goalkeeper performed better than Villarreal's did. You said...

Sevilla learned from Villarreal's mistake and decided to play their first goalkeeper and not the boy scout.
    Sevilla didn't play their "first goalkeeper". The guy last night hasn't played one La Liga game for them, how can he be their first choice goalkeeper? He's 23 and has played very little football, a few cup games this season, just because you happened to see one of them doesn't make him their number one. Is he not the ultimate boy scout? The guy he replaced has played 44 of Sevilla's matches this season.

The boy scout at Villarreal (also 23) you were talking about had at least started most of their games this season (37), as the guy who played the first leg against Liverpool had only recently returned from injury.

So, I can't see how Sevilla learned from Villarreal's mistake. They did the same thing, an even riskier selection if anything, it just had a different outcome.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 19/05/2016 at 1:54 PM.

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Hang on now, let's deal with what you actually said, instead of moving the goalposts to suit your argument. You didn't simply recognise that Sevilla's second choice goalkeeper performed better than Villarreal's did. ........
    I wasn't trying to shift any goalposts. You're assuming something more deliberate than what it is, a mere misunderstanding and this is not worth getting excited about

I understood from your first reply that he wasn't Sevilla's first choice goalie and I wasn't disputing that.
    I then wrote I saw him play a few games in the EL.
    As it turned out, he was used mainly in the EL and that's where I have seen Sevilla play 3 or 4 times.

Until now I mistakingly thought the Villarreal goalie at Anfield was their 2nd choice goalie, that they had rested their first choice goalie who played in the 1st leg.
    Sorry about that, that was my confusion, which was reinforced by that young Villarreal goalie playing like a petrified boy scout and also there was a camera shot of the "first" goalie on the bench and a commentators reference to that he was rested. I assumed wrongly that the petrified goalie who inspired dread throughout the Villarreal team was a kid thrown in at the deep end for no good reason.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Was at the game, master class by Sevilla in the second half, but i do wonder was it really down to how awful the Liverpool back four were, they were shocking. I thought the atmosphere was ****e tbh, definitely not comparable to the Basel lads! I was far from the Liverpool end so dont know what they sounded like, but I didn't hear a good rendition of "you never walk alone" all night. (did miss the first 20 minutes though, and missed the trouble at the start, which was lucky as I came in from that end)
    Town was well dead after, pity. No trams, so I had to walk home at 4, just about managed to be in on time for work this morning at 8!
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Until now I mistakingly thought the Villarreal goalie at Anfield was their 2nd choice goalie, that they had rested their first choice goalie who played in the 1st leg.
    Well I think you were correct that he is their second choice under normal circumstances, but the main guy had been injured most of the season.

Actually Sevilla showed a lot of faith in last night's goalkeeper, given he made this mistake in the second leg of their semi final.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Cheap shot Stu... it's only those damn playoffs that have my measure.
    Couldn't help it, sorry!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Was at the game, master class by Sevilla in the second half, but i do wonder was it really down to how awful the Liverpool back four were, they were shocking. I thought the atmosphere was ****e tbh, definitely not comparable to the Basel lads! I was far from the Liverpool end so dont know what they sounded like, but I didn't hear a good rendition of "you never walk alone" all night. (did miss the first 20 minutes though, and missed the trouble at the start, which was lucky as I came in from that end)
    Town was well dead after, pity. No trams, so I had to walk home at 4, just about managed to be in on time for work this morning at 8!
    You missed the rendition so if you missed the first twenty minutes.
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    You missed the rendition so if you missed the first twenty minutes.
    They stopped singing after 20 minutes so

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    They stopped singing after 20 minutes so
    ha ha very good!
    Lets talk about six baby

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Well I think you were correct that he is their second choice under normal circumstances, but the main guy had been injured most of the season.

Actually Sevilla showed a lot of faith in last night's goalkeeper, given he made this mistake in the second leg of their semi final.
    That was a game I missed, I wondered how Bilbao got back into the tie at fortress Sevilla, now I know

Here is an interesting article on the the Sevilla goalie by Graham Hunter in a Scottish newspaper, as he was once "on trial" at Hearts and had a thoroughly depressing time trying to get an English or Scottish club interested in him.

18. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    There was a whimper of YNWA close to final whistle, hardly a verse.
    Generally the atmosphere was raucous coming across the tv screen. Sevilla's fans were making by far the most noise, i.e.if you don't count Klopp as one of the Liverpool fans.
    Perhaps the audio engineers focussed on the mikes where the crowd were making noise. From a home entertainment point of view it was an excellent tv production of a Final and fans' involvement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    There was a whimper of YNWA close to final whistle, hardly a verse.
    Generally the atmosphere was raucous coming across the tv screen. Sevilla's fans were making by far the most noise, i.e.if you don't count Klopp as one of the Liverpool fans.
    Perhaps the audio engineers focussed on the mikes where the crowd were making noise. From a home entertainment point of view it was an excellent tv production of a Final and fans' involvement.
    Yeah I guess it must be the mics as a few of us were pretty disappointed with the Liverpool support our end. You know its bad when you see a few guys trying to get the crowd going to no avail. A lot of footballing tourists as well, I even seen a Chinese couple with a baby that looked under a year old. I do wonder if they had to buy a ticket for their baby, probably?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I'd agree with geysir that Villarreal are the better team, but Liverpool probably have a little more individual creativity and ability to create something from nothing. I'd still expect Villarreal to do it, but they'll do so keeping it tight.
    Wha?!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Villarreal are very sound defensively, they have a very good away record, they have the stomach for games like these.

I didn't watch Liverpool win the 2nd leg against Dortmund, I can't possibly comment on that oddity
    Looks like Delores was all over this one. Always found him fairly spot on, for the most part.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I just can't see Villarreal doing it. Logic and sound analysis say they will, but Liverpool can be a force of nature at home in Europe.

They shouldn't even be in the competition though after Sakho.
    He might have been wrong about Doyle, and the need to watch videos, but he was spot on here.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567