Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Darren Randolph (G West Ham b.1987)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Looks like Adrian wasn't the solution to WHAM's problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    West Ham's half arsed effort was much more a factor than Adrian, who actually had a very good game I thought and blameless for any of the goals. He made a lot of decent saves to keep them in it at 0-0 and 0-1. He had kept three clean sheets in a row prior to that too to be fair.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Interesting comments from Packie Bonner regarding Randolph - http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/s...-1-450241.html

Quote Originally Posted by Packie Bonner on Randolph's situation at West Ham
    He’s going into the summer now, he’ll have time with the squad, two weeks together, he’ll be fine. He was left out of the West Ham team which was a bit disappointing for him but the pressure is so much on these teams now. If you make one or two mistakes you are out: in our day you could make 10 mistakes and you were still there.

That’s changed. But he knows what it takes to play at that level and I think he’s old enough now to handle all that. He’ll be desperate to get back in at West Ham but whether that happens or not, he’s in a different position now than he was three years ago — that’s for sure. People will come looking for him.

He handled the European Championships really well. Do you know what I liked about him? I thought he was really alert, I thought he got into the line of the ball very quickly. If I had to talk about Darren five years previously when he was at Motherwell or when he was at Charlton, then I would say he needed to get his fitness levels up, he needed to get sharper.

When he went to Motherwell, Gordon Marshall worked really hard with him. And I think he’s stepped up. Some goalkeepers, it takes a little bit of time but he’s up at a high level now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Packie Bonner on Randolph being thrown in at the deep end against Germany
    What were the other options. (David) Forde? You have to look to the future. Now don’t get me wrong: David did well and I was delighted to see him do well because he’s ex-League of Ireland. But if you’re going to look to the future, Darren was the obvious choice for me.

Put him in there and see what he can do. And his kicking is good. It suits the way that Martin plays. Martin is more direct, as we know, and Darren puts the ball into very good areas.

5. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    He does a good long ball and that suits Long........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    O'Neill discusses the goalkeeping situation - http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/s...ne-451805.html

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I have a feeling he'll go for Westwood.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I have a feeling he'll go for Westwood.
    What makes you think that ? Would be very surprised if he does.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    There has been more focus on the choice between the two keepers in the media this week than there has been in the earlier part of the campaign and O'Neill has been a bit more positive in public about KW than he has been too. I'm wondering if MON is beginning to doubt Randolph especially after the Uruguay blunder. He'll have noticed a tendency to get caught in no mans land. It's just a hunch based on crumbs of evidence.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    There has been more focus on the choice between the two keepers in the media this week than there has been in the earlier part of the campaign and O'Neill has been a bit more positive in public about KW than he has been too. I'm wondering if MON is beginning to doubt Randolph especially after the Uruguay blunder. He'll have noticed a tendency to get caught in no mans land. It's just a hunch based on crumbs of evidence.
    I agree with all of this although I don't have any major feeling as to what O'Neill will decide. I'm not going to be a bit surprised either way but I think one thing is for certain, this is Westwood's best chance of being selected since Randolph broke into the side. I feel O'Neill is genuinely disappointed that Randolph didn't take his chance to remain as West Ham's number one. He'll also realise that he wasn't just dropped for the fun of it. The error the last day might just have tipped the balance alright.

Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Randolph has been dodgy all year, now he's been dodgy for us. I see a pattern.
    Instead of going from strength to strength, I think Randolph gets found out the more he plays. It's logical that the more you play the more mistakes you can make, but it also allows you the opportunity to build up enough good will that the occasional blunder will be overlooked. Westwood has done that at Sheffield Wednesday, I think he could have a string of dodgy performances at club level now and still have their supporters on side, given his overall consistency (and brilliance) over three years. Randolph's errors are a bit too frequent I think.

14. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    You're shifting quotes from thread to thread, Del.
    That quote from me is taken out of context, from another thread where I was replying to Lionel.

Players moving up a level and given a decent opportunity to prove themselves there, either stay within the boundaries of their ability, improve or disimprove.
    By today's standards, relating to tolerance levels of error prone goalies, Randolph was handed a rare opportunity by West Ham.
    I don't see it that his skill levels were exposed, he simply got worse by allowing more errors into his game. Afaics, he still has top goalkeeping skill levels and a lovely strike of the ball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I don't see it that his skill levels were exposed, he simply got worse by allowing more errors into his game. Afaics, he still has top goalkeeping skill levels and a lovely strike of the ball.
    Fair enough, and I wouldn't entirely disagree. By being 'found out', I meant the quantity of errors have accumulated a bit too rapidly for my liking, he's still capable of doing some very good things and performing well though, that goes without saying I think.

I would add that it's a bit disappointing that a high percentage of his mistakes are actually coming from not dealing with crosses, an area where he really excels at times and looked excellent early on.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I agree with this. He has real talent and is a super ball striker. I remember all those years ago when his underage manager McCaffrey said he had everything. Full of expectation I then saw him fumble a straightforward ball against England U21s and he generally didn’t impress.

The issue isn’t his talent, it’s more his concentration and/or judgment. Any time I’ve been disappointed in him it’s been for highly avoidable, basic stuff. He tends to do the hard things well.

I really like how he brought authority to the position from the moment he took to the pitch against Germany but I have to go with my instinct and think I’d be more comfortable with Westwood. Marginal.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I just posted a link to a Dan McD article favouring Westwood for this match. I thought it was more relevant in the match build-up thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    O'Neill on his decision to stick with Randolph for the Austria game: http://www.the42.ie/randolph-westwoo...38916-Jun2017/

Quote Originally Posted by Martin O'Neill
    Darren Randolph has done nothing wrong. He lost his place at club level, but he’s been terrific for us. If I was to go and not play everybody who lost their place at club level over the last three or four years [I wouldn’t have many to choose from]. There was no reason for me to take Randolph out of the team.

He came on at a moment’s notice against Germany [in the Euro 2016 qualifiers] and has held the position since. I’ve got much time for both [Randolph and Westwood]. I don’t think there’s a fantastic amount between them.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Some save against Austria and O'Neill seems to have a lot of faith in him.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Joe Hart set for a medical at West Ham. I don't see any Premier League sides coming in for him so is it the last we'll see of Randz in the EPL?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Joe Hart set for a medical at West Ham. I don't see any Premier League sides coming in for him so is it the last we'll see of Randz in the EPL?
    Yes. Middlesbrough maybe, if they can't get Westwood.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Yes. Middlesbrough maybe, if they can't get Westwood.
    he was linked with newcastle but i don't see it happening.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Deal agreed to sign for the Boro:
    http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/40690832

Fee mooted to be £4.5m.

Decent move for him and for Ireland. Can't complain too much.

25. Thanks From:

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast