Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Darren Randolph (G West Ham b.1987)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Four?
    The four I mentioned were Martial at the end of last season, the Serbia one he got away with, the Spurs goal and yesterday. I'd agree that the Spurs one was the least poor but poor nonetheless and the other three were pretty terrible being honest. He wasn't great for the Dutch equaliser in the friendly either (more so Duffy obviously) and I thought he probably should have done better for Witsel's header at the Euros.

It was Paul that mentioned inconsistency, I think he's pretty consistent is a lot of ways but seems to have regular enough mistakes in him. Even if you don't agree with the Netherlands/Belgium ones I still think the other four are incriminating enough over a relatively short period in terms of game time. That's in no way taking away from the brilliant saves he's made, the ones from Mkhitaryan and Henderson were truly world class.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 12/12/2016 at 2:54 PM.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Let's hope West Ham are relegated https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/footb...id-relegation/
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Let's stop taking digs at Randolph and support him. He's had four games. Hardly enough time to maintain a suitable level of consistency.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Let's stop taking digs at Randolph and support him.
    I agree. I think we should apply the same to Harry Arter who is consistently good but makes an occasional goof up too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Except there are no digs being thrown at Randolph, his performances are being analysed in a constructive way, or at least that's the intention. He's getting plenty of credit where it's due but inevitably errors (or perceived errors) are going to be discussed also. I like the guy and nothing would make me happier than him being error free for the rest of his career, but in the meantime his performances will be fairly assessed like everybody else and opinions will inevitably vary from time to time. Just because he's lucky enough to have avoided Towk's irrational black book doesn't mean he's exempt from discussion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    I think this is good to debate too. I think that by virtue of their role, keepers (and strikers) are the most scrutinized positions on the pitch and when sitters are missed or clangers are conceded they get thrown straight under the microscope. So it is natural that we are having this type of conversation.

From my vantage point, the games i have watch have shown Randolph to be an excellent keeper - actually far better than i had previously been giving him credit for - if he has made 2 or 4 mistakes then i think in the overall context of his performances over 90 - 900 minutes they dont take away from the fact that he is a really good keeper and i dont think it suggests an issue of consistency to me. Nor does it take away the fact that he made those mistakes and will hopefully not make the same ones again. He'll have learned from that one yesterday.

I think Pauls statement was far too throwaway and light on evidence to be taken seriously and I was just attempting to address that because i dont think that such a narrative is fair when you look at his performances as a whole since taking over the #1 spot.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Arter's performances, which while not bad, have certainly not lived up to the hype bestowed on him.
    thats ridiculously unfair. He was only being hyped by many, many pundits because of the excellence of his performances at club level. He's had one competitive appearance in an Ireland shirt. Sheesh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Oh I'm counting the four Intl appearances overall.

And I can't claim to have watched every club appearance but he hasn't stood out in any of the games I have watched.

I think there is a tendency to go overboard with praise when there is a clamour for a new player to get involved. The grass is always greener and all that.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    West Ham fans are quite okay with having Darren as their nr 1.

I didn't think the save itself deserved all the (ott) superlatives, I though it was just an excellent save. What made the save possible was the left side position in the goalmouth that Darren took before the shot and crucially those two or three backward steps, that left him in the position to make the save.
    If only Shay had taken a similar position when our nemesis Henry got on the ball at Lansdowne rd.in 2005.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    thats ridiculously unfair. He was only being hyped by many, many pundits because of the excellence of his performances at club level. He's had one competitive appearance in an Ireland shirt. Sheesh!
    I really don't see that much hype to be honest. A bit of hysteria after he wasn't capped in Serbia and a bit of commentary after his injury in the Dutch game. He's a EPL player performing well at that level. We're not spoilt for choice (many people actively want Whelan out of the side) so it's fair that he attracts attention and I think he attracts a fair, and only a fair, amount of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    The most hype I've heard about him was Martin Tyler last season when Arter was substituted despite, in Tyler's opinion, being the best player on the pitch. I think he had just returned from injury and Tyler questioned the merits of putting sports science ahead of the need of a team on a given day. He even mentioned Arter again the following weekend in a game that didn't involve Bournemouth at all. Obviously himself and Merson questioned whether he was deserving of an England call-up and Jack Wilshere waxed lyrical about him.

All that intermittent 'hype' came from English circles, there's been little or nothing over here, other than the fact that people who care about the Irish team reckon he's at least worth a good look at to see how he gets on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    There have been calls for him to be parachuted into the Ireland first team since well before the Euros, even when the team was doing well.

I have seen him (inc. other Irish forums) referred to as the best player on the pitch week in, week out leaving me wondering if I'm watching the same game at times.

I've seen similar praise given to Glenn Whelan for his performances at club level for Stoke but I wouldn't cherry-pick to say he should or shouldn't be starting for Ireland.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 13/12/2016 at 12:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I really don't see that much hype to be honest. A bit of hysteria after he wasn't capped in Serbia and a bit of commentary after his injury in the Dutch game. He's a EPL player performing well at that level. We're not spoilt for choice (many people actively want Whelan out of the side) so it's fair that he attracts attention and I think he attracts a fair, and only a fair, amount of it.
    I didnt mean on here - i meant the pundits in England.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    There have been calls for him to be parachuted into the Ireland first team since well before the Euros, even when the team was doing well.

I have seen him (inc. other Irish forums) referred to as the best player on the pitch week in, week out leaving me wondering if I'm watching the same game at times.
    Arter man of the match:

https://www.thesun.ie/archives/footb...h-harry-arter/

http://www.newstalk.com/Man-of-the-M...ands-equaliser

https://www.balls.ie/football/harry-...everton/347218

http://www.afcb.co.uk/news/article/m...d-2901339.aspx

These are just from the fist two pages of a Google search. He wasn't parachuted in. Indeed, there were worries that it took so long for him to play a competitive game he might get fed up.

It is natural for there to be calls for a player who is winning man of the match awards in the Premier League to be given a chance in the international side. That's the nature of football supporters. If Arter was Messi, he'd be playing for one of the bigger sides. We all know that and I haven't seen anyone on here claim otherwise but he's a good player and certainly worth a place in the squad and probably in the side.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I can only comment on the Holland game but I personally wouldn't have given him the MOTM for that.

And I'm not having a dig when I say that.

I have all the time in the world for Hoolahan for what he's done for us, but there have been occasions (I'm thinking friendlies like the aforementioned Holland game) where he has been given MOTM almost as a token gesture.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    I can only comment on the Holland game but I personally wouldn't have given him the MOTM for that.

And I'm not having a dig when I say that.

I have all the time in the world for Hoolahan for what he's done for us, but there have been occasions (I'm thinking friendlies like the aforementioned Holland game) where he has been given MOTM almost as a token gesture.
    name these other friendlies in the next 24 hours, or we won't see you again until the new year
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    How come OwlsFan doesn't get ultimatums for trying to get a rise out of me on every second thread I post on?

Fine. Do you mean friendlies where Arter won MOTM or friendlies where Hoolahan won MOTM? Because I stated my belief that Arter's MOTM award in the Holland game was absurd, but if you are referring to what I said in the brackets, I was on about Hoolahan, not Arter.

Perhaps, I could have worded it a bit better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    How come OwlsFan doesn't get ultimatums for trying to get a rise out of me on every second thread I post on?
    because his claims are backed up by logic and facts. Yours are not

Fine. Do you mean friendlies where Arter won MOTM or friendlies where Hoolahan won MOTM? Because I stated my belief that Arter's MOTM award in the Holland game was absurd, but if you are referring to what I said in the brackets, I was on about Hoolahan, not Arter.

Perhaps, I could have worded it a bit better.
    you mentioned "friendlies like the Holland game" where Arter was MOTM. Friendlies. Plural. What other times was Arter given MOTM as a token gesture? Clock's ticking.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 14/12/2016 at 11:34 AM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Possibly because I disagree with every second post of yours on certain Irish players. The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

That said, different views make the forum more interesting and it would be a dreary place if we all sang from the same hymn sheet. I should know. I was a Trap supporter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    That entire sentence was referring to Hoolahan. I was saying some MOTM awards, particularly in friendlies, are given almost as a token gesture.

IMO Arter was given the MOTM for the Holland game less for his performance and more because of the groundswell of support he had built up prior to the game.

I was saying Hoolahan has been given MOTM awards in games similar to the aforementioned Holland game in similar circumstances when he wasn't the best player in the pitch.

I agree. I could have worded it a bit better.

As for Owls. I think we're approaching dangerous territory when you cannot mention certain players unless it's a glowing tribute to them without someone (usually one person) throwing a fit over it.

I said Hendrick could have won a penalty after a foul by Arter. How on earth could anyone think that's a dig? If Hendrick was fouled by Artur Boruc I wouldn't mention it because he's not an Ireland intl but he was fouled by Arter so I thought it was relevant.

A case of my reputation preceding me I think.

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast