Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: St. Pats (home) - 30/3/2013

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

St. Pats (home) - 30/3/2013

I said I might as well start this. Surprised that there isn't already a thread.

Same problem for us in the first half tonight that we had in the last home game against UCD - too narrow in attack, with both wide men looking to come inside and play between the lines. Neither full back is really good enough to provide the width effectively. It seemed particularly short sighted not to keep Galbraith wide on the left, as the full back behind him (Nzuzi) was right footed. In fairness, the management recognised this, and in the second half he broadly did stay on the touchline, but without O'Leary there was no-one to distribute it to him. Twice Rainsford and Bradley had chances to switch it to him but misplaced their long passes.

Pat's were smarter than UCD. Recognising that we have a band of three looking to play between the opposition banks, they dropped McFaul in there to play as an anchorman. As such, young Darragh Rainsford, playing in the number 10 position was anonymous. It was only when Shane Tracy was swapped with him in the second half, that we managed to thread a successful through ball. Bradley missed the one-on-one (Clarke saved).

Apart from the penalty that Pats scored, and the aforementioned Bradley effort, there was only one other clear chance in the game - a long punt in the first half that deceived the Pats defence and fell to Curran. Again however, Clarke came to the rescue.

A sense therefore that we left it after us as we had the better chances. Pats were the better side in possession however, with Bermingham and Forrester a potent combination down the left. By and large they shut a predictable Limerick attack down, and this was reflected in the fact we brought on centre back Aaron Browne to play as the lone striker for the last 5 minutes. He did have a headed chance from a corner that he could have converted though in fairness.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Might as well just Copy and paste from the general Matchday thread:

Very disappointing night.

I think Limerick's inexperience at this level, compared with Pats anyway, got shown up big time tonight. Our backline was caught in possession so many times, our midfield struggled to make an impact, and the forwards were isolated and frustrated. Our gameplan was very obvious for most of the 90: Get the ball down the right, and it didn't work.

Good view of the penalty decision from where I was, and I think it was a dive. Hit the ground just as the defender was behind him. Maybe MNS will sort it out, but I'm fairly sure there was simulation.

Buttimer, Christ, he's easy to hate. Every time a Limerick player had a long ball aimed at him he was getting pulled around. Plenty of hand balls missed. Looked like the Pats keeper handled outside the area. Lack of advantage for Limerick at times. Curran booked when it seemed he'd missed the player he "tackled". Four times in the second half a Pats player went down "Injured" and ate up time. Enraging to watch (Here's a thought, apropos of that: if a player goes down "injured" and has to go off the field, how about he has to stay off for a full five minutes, just to get a really thorough check from the physios? We'll see how many lads are really hurt then).

Pats passed it a lot better than us, but probably overused the Forrester option, by the second half he wasn't getting anywhere. They weren't great in the last third, but far better than us up the other end. Gamble had a very poor 90, lots of errors, very slow looking. He held up the ball the most out of anyway, as we screamed for any bit of urgency from the terraces. I lost count of the number of times Curren received the ball to his chest and then was surrounded and had no one to play it to. Limerick just seemed so, so hesitant to play in any offensive way, constantly waiting, considering, passing it back and back and back.

Poor Galbriath on the left had a miserable night. He had so much space at times but only twice in the second half was an attempt made to "switch" the play to him quickly, and both times the ball was straight to a Pats player. He was threatening when going forward, so we should use that avenue more.

But can't complain about the ref or how Pats seemed fairly impotent, because we had two sitters in either half. Curran and Bradley, clean through, needing just to sidefoot it home from 8 yards, and they fluffed their lines. Unforgivable to be frank. Easy, easy chances. Bradley especially just walked it to the keeper. Also, I think we must have been a bit light, because it took ages for changes to be made and they were hardly offensive in nature when they happened. I think we lacked something out there tonight, the kind of thing that Rory Gaffney gave us last year in the FD. We had a fair few injuries/suspensions I suppose, but we should be able to deal with that kind of thing.

I think this game is a bit of a wake-up call for the team, we've been playing well against some of the lesser sides of the division, fought well in Sligo, but we we got a lesson tonight from a more confident, experienced outfit. Shams to come on Tuesday, so could well be three defeats in a row. I don't have any fears of relegation for Limerick, but it is clear that we are nowhere near at the level of the best teams yet.

Decent crowd I suppose, given the cold. Looked like a bit of trouble in the away section for a time, a lot of guards suddenly turned up there in the second half, hope everything was ok.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    That's something I wanted to mention but forgot - the lack of matching runs for Curran. As you say, he was fantastic with back to goal today, but again there was no-one giving us any verticality and making those matching runs in behind. The onus mainly fell on Rainsford in this regard due to his positioning behind the striker and he was extremely poor all night. I think Bradley's chance was the only time anyone made an effective forward run past Curran. Very poor.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    as poor as limerick wer tonight cusack had one save and it was a terrible shout by the ref for the peno.. limerick had the better chances, pats passed it at times quicker than limerick but never threatened at all...depends what way you view it curran/bradley take their chances its a win against one of the top sides and minus a lot of regulars and at that if buttimer doesnt get conned its a comfy draw... rome wasnt built in a day and i for one was very critical during preseason and all things considering it is a lot better than i thought it would be.. a bit light squad wise so need a bit of luck on the injury front and a couple of signings during the wimdow... good platform being built...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Also, our set-pieces were garbage tonight. Lots of corners and frees from inside the final third, and I think we only tested the keeper once from any of them. Corners especially, seem to just swing into the goalies hands two out of every three times.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Two ways to look at it, poor performance and could have still won it (Curran/Bradley's chances) or poor performance and deserved to lose.

Peno was a bit soft, but Kelly was poor for the first half and the Pats winger played it very well.

The only thing really worrying me is the lack of scoring opportunities in the final third. There was such a big gap between Curran and everyone else that the Pats defenders just outnumbered him. If one wide man stays out on the touch line, the other has to get into the box to support the striker. Happened a few times tonight when Curran was the only one in there so they have to recycle it and work backwards again. He's excellent with his back to goal, but I'd like to see him running towards goal more often.

Any news on injuries or anyone expected back for Tuesday?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    We are toothless up front curren is excellent with his back to goal holding up the ball as a goalscorer not for me. Calla look very uncomfortable with the ball at his feet get the feeling there is always a mistake in him. But were a newly promoted team we kinda expected this lets try and kick on Tuesday night.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I think the ref was very poor last night.no consistency with decisions and last week we were denied a penalty at sligo?.the team are trying to play some good football but are still short a few key players.craig curran tries hard but i dont think he is a lethal striker.sligo have got one in anthony elding and we had taken a look at him?.hopefully when gaffney and co get back it will improve.way better than the old rubbish football of the last few years.thomond park though isnt great for atmosphere and its bloody freezing.very badly organised out there on match days and very slow at the turnstiles with the checks etc.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I have been quiet for a while about the team, but having gone to all of the first five games I must hold my hand up high and say that I was wrong about my criticism of the team and Taylor. I have been very impressed with everything that is limerick fc this year and long may it continue. At times lastnight you could hear the fans getting frustrated at how slow the team were going forward when we were attacking but after seeing us playfrom the start of the season this is what the management are encouraging the players to do, that if there is nobody on in the forward line turn around and play it back. Just keep possession. It will take time but very encouraging. As for the playing staff, come the transfer window if we can get 2 players I think a good cup run can be had. COME ON THE SUPER BLUES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post

we've been playing well against some of the lesser sides of the division,
    Apart from UCD who are the lesser teams we have played? One of the top 3 from from last season or the well fancied Cork team?
    Last edited by bluewhitearmy; 31/03/2013 at 2:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Lesser as in outside the top three/four. Big quality gap in the PD i think.

Brother in law in Bus Eireann tells me the coach used to ferry Pats fans from the train station to Thomond got a number done on it. Window smashed, alcohol related damages etc. They were nearly left without a bus after the game. Shame.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts

Brother in law in Bus Eireann tells me the coach used to ferry Pats fans from the train station to Thomond got a number done on it. Window smashed, alcohol related damages etc. They were nearly left without a bus after the game. Shame.
    Barr UCD we have played Drogheda (2nd), Cork (6th), St.Pats(3rd), Sligo (champions). UCD are the only team that would have been considered poor last season. I think we have done very well performances wise considering we played a decent cork team and the top 3 from last season.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts

So just Cork and UCD then?

Gutted to hear about the windows on the bus. What is wrong with idiots that they think that is a good idea. What kind of a mong do you need to for that to be entertaining to you like.
    Last edited by bluewhitearmy; 31/03/2013 at 3:46 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    no complaints about the result,pats the better team,played some very good football and their ball retention way better than ours.for the away team at times made us look quite ordinary.ya we had two great chances to score and in a lot of ..these..games thats all we will get.tbf to taylor he at least wants us to pass it though the way we approach makes it easier to defend against,agree with AOB,we are too narrow and cannot get enough support to curran..especially from midfield.despite the lack of chances it was a fine game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Are some fans starting to panic already, we've come a long long way in a couple of months, I was still impressed with us last night against one of the better teams in the league, I think Pat's are 2nd or 3rd favourites to win the league- and they were favourites for last nights match for a good reason the're a good team with some very good players. I think we were unlucky not to get a draw which would have been a great point imo. Altough Pats scored (soft penno) and hit the cross bar I still think we created the better chances against an experienced team and their keeper was the busier of the two even though we still have a few players to come back from injury/suspension. Also Taylor was missing last night which I think had an effect too. At the end of the day we were unlucky (again) and we can and will play better and also the ref didn't help as was to be expected, all the fans should get behind the team but at times last night a small amount did the opposite! I still think we'll improve over time but I won't be getting carried away either way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalna View Post
    I have been quiet for a while about the team, but having gone to all of the first five games I must hold my hand up high and say that I was wrong about my criticism of the team and Taylor. I have been very impressed with everything that is limerick fc this year and long may it continue. At times lastnight you could hear the fans getting frustrated at how slow the team were going forward when we were attacking but after seeing us playfrom the start of the season this is what the management are encouraging the players to do, that if there is nobody on in the forward line turn around and play it back. Just keep possession. It will take time but very encouraging. As for the playing staff, come the transfer window if we can get 2 players I think a good cup run can be had. COME ON THE SUPER BLUES.
    and our chairman

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    We have to take into account we were missing

Purcell, Gaffney, Axel, Ryan, Williams, Judgey and O'Leary also so at least the squad will be strengthened when they come back in. Take 6 possible starters out of any team in this league and they would struggle, barr maybe Sligo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    We have to take into account we were missing

Purcell, Gaffney, Axel, Ryan, Williams, Judgey and O'Leary also so at least the squad will be strengthened when they come back in. Take 6 possible starters out of any team in this league and they would struggle, barr maybe Sligo.
    Was asking this Saturday evening does anyone know if Purcell is injured or just not making the squad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harpin View Post
    Was asking this Saturday evening does anyone know if Purcell is injured or just not making the squad
    Heard he was injured. Surely he'd make the bench at least otherwise.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    Heard he was injured. Surely he'd make the bench at least otherwise.
    Na, there's nothing wrong with him. Supposedly he's been training the last few weeks, and travelled to Sligo but didnt make the squad. After tonight, i wouldnt let Aaron Brown near the team again for a while. Has to be Purcell or O'Callaghan for Friday.