Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by born2bwild View Post
    Fingal don't have any fans.

Go on, I dare you: fix my post.
    Heh heh.
    Last edited by BonnieShels; 26/03/2013 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Accuracy
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Heh heh.
    You ********!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I've fixed my fix.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Distressingly, I've learned from the Johnny Logan Website that:
    The Dubliners came often in Johnny Logan's childhood home
    On that, wasn't Luke Kelly supposed to be a Bohs fan?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    That is an awfully distressing statement indeed and made me cringe ever so slightly.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Doesn't Johnny Logan live around the Ashbourne/Ratoath area so Bohs would probably be his local side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    He definitely did live in Ashbourne, Mark, and he also went to Scoil Mhuire in Howth as a chisler so hes a devout northsider - therefore Bohs being the only true option.

9. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I happen to know that Johnny Logan is a boyhood Sporting Fingal fan, as were his pappy and grandpappy before him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by born2bwild View Post
    Distressingly, I've learned from the Johnny Logan Website that:

On that, wasn't Luke Kelly supposed to be a Bohs fan?
    Poor Mammy Logan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    We just didnt need a second Jonny Logan at the club...though one could have sang in the lounge while the other served the pints

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    I was lighting a fire this morning and I noticed this on a sheet of newspaper I was about to crumple up and burn. Thought I'd lash it up here first:

Love/Hate Kicks off at Tolka Park

The gritty RTE drama Love/Hate has returned to the streets of Dublin as the fourth season continues to be filmed around the capital. The locations being used to shoot the latest instalments of the multi-IFTA award winning show are closely guarded secrets but it is suspected that the producers, Suzanne McAuley and Steve Matthews, will retain the original cast including the power-hungry Nidge, (Tom Vaughan-Lawlor), gangster Tommy (Killian Scott), Nidge’s wife Trish (Aoibhinn McGinnity), Fran (Peter Coonan), Elmo (Laurence Kinlan) and Tommy’s missus Siobhan (Charlie Murphy).

This week however, we were granted limited preview access to the production and we can now reveal that series director James Flynn has taken the radical step of enlisting the acting talents and stadium of League of Ireland Premier Division football club, Shelbourne FC in the ongoing filming.
    Of course, the Drumcondra outfit are no strangers to the world of showbiz; a decade ago the club ground and personnel starred in an episode of the British football-drama, Dream Team. This time around, Shels’ commitment to the project goes much further. It seems that a number of leading figures from the famous Northside club are set to follow in the footsteps of Vinnie Jones, Eric Cantona and OJ Simpson and really make their mark as screen idols.

The cameras were rolling over the Easter weekend on location at Tolka Park, the home of the ‘Real Reds’, and despite extremely tight levels of security on the set we were able to catch up with some of the club’s budding thespians, including manager Alan Mathews, League veteran Robert Bayly, ex – Drogheda and Shamrock Rovers centre-half, Graham Gartland and new signing, Pat Flynn. They gave us a tantalising glimpse of what to expect in the new season of the award winning crime drama.

Manager Alan Mathews, although absolutely refusing to give away any plot secrets did tell us that “I can’t really reveal much but I can tell you that I’m playing the role of an IRA man turned gangland boss in the new series”. The reds coach, never one to suffer fools gladly in the world of football management, said that he was well suited to playing a no-nonsense, authoritarian mastermind: “All I have to do is act naturally, really. Before I was involved in football I worked in Ulster Bank and that really helped me with the Northern accent I needed. I was able to try it out at half time in the Directors’ box in Derry last Friday night; they all said it was very convincing”. Not so convincing however, was the performance of his team, who were hammered 4-0 in a disappointing third defeat of the new season. When asked about this Alan would only comment: “Well, for five days running before the Derry match meself and the lads were on set for 15 hours each day. It was pretty gruelling. The makeup and costumes take ages, too, and of course, there’s the open bar and the ‘dolly girls’ and groupies to help us wind down, for Jaysus’s sake, but I don’t really think it affected our performance on the pitch.”

Ex-Leeds United star Robert Bayly also spoke to us about the challenges of balancing life in front of the camera and his on-field commitments to Shelbourne. “Well, me and Garto [Graham Gartland] were having a sleepover in his gaff there a few weeks ago and we were watching a video on youtube about method acting. Method acting is where you have to live the role – you have to become the character that you’re playing, for real!” This had bizarre ‘art-imitates-life’ consequences in subsequent matches for the player: “Of course, I can’t give any plot secrets away but in the new season I’m playing a hit-man – all I do is kill and maim. Unfortunately, I was taking my role so seriously that I was still in character out on the pitch!” Chuckling, the midfielder cum movie star went on: “It was mad! I got sent off against Mervue and booked against Bray and I got really angry at some fans at the end of that match, too! It was like I was still in Love/Hate! It’s a good job I didn’t have a baseball bat in me hand like I had in the show!”

Sitting next to Bayly, Graham Gartland agreed: “The role just kinda takes over. One minute I was in front of the camera breaking legs and wasting scumbags with me Glock. The next minute I’m supposed to shut up and take it when the ref gives out to me. You can’t just switch off like that!” he giggled, recalling his own red card in the match against Dundalk.

Pat Flynn also revealed that he, too was finding it hard to adjust when the camera stops. “I’m playing this total f***king lunatic in the series, you know, like Joe Pesci in Goodfellas? I mean, I’m supposed to be a total psychopath…how am I supposed to just ‘play football’? Do you think Robert De Niro just ‘plays football’ when he’s between shots, I mean, seriously, darling?” Indeed, so demanding has his on-screen role been that in just two pre-season starts Flynn has received two straight reds!

Another player who did not want to be named told us that training sessions in Tolka Park have taken a new direction since the cameras started rolling. “Alan [Mathews] begins each session by putting us in a circle, getting us to close our eyes, while we keep humming and visualising a piece of fruit until we become that piece of fruit. It really helped when we went 4 down in the Brandywell last week. I just retreated into my ‘Inner Banana’ and the horror of how Derry were ripping us a new as$h0le just faded away!”

So there you have it, folks: if you thought Nidge and Darren were terrifying, wait until the Shels hit our screens in Season 5! As Shelbourne fans are quickly discovering this year: in Tolka no-one can hear you scream.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    lol for the day that is in it
    Long Live King Kenny

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Independent TD and recently appointed super junior minister Finian McGrath is a Shels fan: https://twitter.com/shelsfc/status/728649309906972672
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Independent TD and recently appointed super junior minister Finian McGrath is a Shels fan: https://twitter.com/shelsfc/status/728649309906972672
    was wonderin why he was wearin a scarf!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    There must be a nice sports grant coming.

Well there would if it was GAH or egg chasing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Pfft, Wexford Youths have had a celebrity TD as a fan for years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Sure don't Shelbourne have a Finian McGrath sponsor board at Tolka Park? I remember seeing his face there before.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Only time I've seen politicians around Limerick FC was when they won the First Division.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    818 Posts
    Only time I've seen politicians around Limerick FC was when they won the First Division.
    Same here

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    To be fair a few politicians have taken out programme space with us over the years. Maurice Quinlivan and Jan O'Sullivan definitely and I'm probably missing others.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast