Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Charlton

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    i always found we never saw the best of Sheridan under Charlton - i remember he came against Spain in Dublin in 1993 , when we were 3 goals down , he looked like a lad who could play, i thought he was a great midfielder when he played for Wednesday in the early 90's , and he was instrumental in beating united in the league cup in 92, Wednesday were a decent premiership team in the early 90's , he also gave a mom performance against Bolivia prior to the World cup in 1994

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Royal rover View Post
    i always found we never saw the best of Sheridan under Charlton - i remember he came against Spain in Dublin in 1993 , when we were 3 goals down , he looked like a lad who could play, i thought he was a great midfielder when he played for Wednesday in the early 90's , and he was instrumental in beating united in the league cup in 92, Wednesday were a decent premiership team in the early 90's , he also gave a mom performance against Bolivia prior to the World cup in 1994
    Sheridan was a class footballer! A real playmaker.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    1991 was the Final where they beat Man U. Class passer of a ball ok but lacked speed and of course his style of play and lack of physicality didn't suit Big J's up and at 'em approach. Not a box to box midfielder.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Happy birthday to Jack. 78 today.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    From somewhere out in the world, there comes a reply, "thanks Eagle".

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    More likely 'shuddup. Yull scare tha bluddy fish!'
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    In fact he scored a goal that day - and it was the goal that put us through on goal difference.

8. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    On goals scored!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    From somewhere out in the world, there comes a reply, "thanks Eagle".
    I didn't say "Happy birthday Jack". I said "Happy birthday to Jack".

I remember a time, not sure if it applied on the international scene, when placings were decided on so-called goal average as opposed to goal difference (i.e. the number of goals scored was divided by the number of goals conceded so 50/25 would have finished ahead of 80/41. The comments on Sheridan's goal against Spain reminded of that.

How's that for a conversation stopper?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I didn't say "Happy birthday Jack". I said "Happy birthday to Jack".

I remember a time, not sure if it applied on the international scene, when placings were decided on so-called goal average as opposed to goal difference (i.e. the number of goals scored was divided by the number of goals conceded so 50/25 would have finished ahead of 80/41. The comments on Sheridan's goal against Spain reminded of that.

How's that for a conversation stopper?
    Pretty wonderful though I think as soon as Tets and Dodge see it it will pick right up again.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    A little interview with Charlton published a couple of day ago.

I had heard about the Bob Paisley thing at some stage but probably didn't fully appreciate the significance of it. It got me digging a small bit deeper and I came across this interesting piece:

BOB PAISLEY: THE GREATEST MANAGER IRELAND NEVER HAD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    A little interview with Charlton published a couple of day ago.

I had heard about the Bob Paisley thing at some stage but probably didn't fully appreciate the significance of it. It got me digging a small bit deeper and I came across this interesting piece:

BOB PAISLEY: THE GREATEST MANAGER IRELAND NEVER HAD
    We got the greatest instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    No doubt. It must have been tough to take (for everybody?) at the time though surely?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It was one of the biggest brain farts in football history at the time, to choose Charlton over Bob Paisley. I was dumbfounded by the decision. Charlton was a plodder compared to the football genius of Paisley.
    But as it turned out, Bob was already showing early sign of a serious chronic nerve disease, his brain function was affected and he degenerated rapidly, within a year or two.
    Charlton just deteriorated at a much slower rate.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    No doubt. It must have been tough to take (for everybody?) at the time though surely?
    Not for me. I knew Charlton would be a success (he had been that almost unique thing: a successful Sheffield Wednesday manager). I kept the articles by Con Houlihan castigating the appointment of Charlton and sent it back to him two years later All Paisley had known was Liverpool (and action in WW2 incidentally). He had worked under Shankly and then stepped in to his shoes. I am not sure he would have succeeded with us in a totally different environment. A better coach no doubt but the big Geordie was much more suited to the Irish position ---- but we'll never know.
    Last edited by OwlsFan; 10/02/2016 at 10:24 AM.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    I kept the articles by Con Houlihan castigating the appointment of Charlton and sent it back to him two years later .

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Not for me. I knew Charlton would be a success (he had been that almost unique thing: a successful Sheffield Wednesday manager). I kept the articles by Con Houlihan castigating the appointment of Charlton and sent it back to him two years later All Paisley had known was Liverpool (and action in WW2 incidentally). He had worked under Shankly and then stepped in to his shoes. I am not sure he would have succeeded with us in a totally different environment. A better coach no doubt but the big Geordie was much more suited to the Irish position ---- but we'll never know.
    It doesn't demean Charton's subsequent brilliant achievements with Ireland one little bit by stating the bleedin' obvious glaring fact that as decent as Charlton was as a club manager he was not in the same league as Bob Paisley and nowhere near it.
    Bob succeeded God and did a better job. It is one of the most astonishing aspects of football history that this manager is so underrated when in any discussion of the all time greats, his name should be mentioned seriously.
    Last edited by geysir; 10/02/2016 at 9:38 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Paisley certainly was a great Liverpool manager. It was a great honour for Ireland that such a man would put himself up for the Irish job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Bob succeeded God and did a better job.
    He won more alright but I think the scale of their particular jobs were almost incomparable. Liverpool were slumming it out in Division 2 for a few years when Shankly took over. If somebody built my house from the ground up I wouldn't turn around and give more credit to the guy that painted it.

It is one of the most astonishing aspects of football history that this manager is so underrated when in any discussion of the all time greats, his name should be mentioned seriously.
    I think this might be one of those situations where it's noted so often that somebody is underrated that he's not actually underrated at all, a bit like Denis Irwin (or Donnchadh Walsh for GAA fans). Paisley is mentioned in most conversations I hear to be honest - himself, Clough, Busby, Shankly and Ferguson (in no particular order) are probably the five really outstanding British managers? Is anybody else deserving of a serious mention? Only Ancelotti has won as many European Cups as Paisley so he's always going to be in the conversation I think.

23. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    He didn't better Shankly of course but Paisley also helped build Liverpool from the ashes and without him much would have been missing from Liverpool's game. At least he improved on the situation he took over after Shankly, where most would struggle, taking over from an icon of the game.
    Paisley is not just one of the greatest coaches/ managers in British history, but would fit into many a top 10 of world coaches/managers list. Not just for his record at the helm but also the 20 years before that. I don't know where Jack would be ranked then.
    My point relates to the question, that at the particular time in football history when Ireland were looking for a manager, Bob Paisley was God at that time, Jack was decent but not in the same league.

25. Thanks From:

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast