Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: UCD, Home, 19/3/2013

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts

UCD, Home, 19/3/2013

So, for someone trapped in work on the other side of the country and reliant on text updates, anyone want to fill me in? Sounds like it all went very well, not a bad attendance either.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    3-1 to Limerick goals from Darragh Rainsford x2 and Dave O leary, 3-0 at half time O' Leary too went off with a bad injury just before HT , Limerick were fantastic in the 1st half and dropped off a nice bit in the 2nd half giving away a silly goal good 3 points UCD keeper kept the score down

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    The scoreline flattered us a little. I felt that our attacking play was too narrow at times with both Galbraith and Tracy looking to come in off the flanks and get in between the lines. The latter was much better in that regard (although UCD's lack of compactness played into our hands - could have down with playing an anchorman in there perhaps, rather than playing Burke off McMillan). It might be better in future if one of the wide players hugs the touchline when we utilise the 4-2-3-1 shape. I thought Galbraith would have been better off performing that role tonight.

Great stuff from the young lad Rainsford, although as already mentioned UCD were making things easy for Limerick in that area of the pitch. Curran upfront held it up brilliantly - leagues better with his back to goal than the other target men that we've had over the years. I thought he was deserving of much more credit from the crowd than he received.

Dreadful to see O'Leary's injury. He was the standout player in the time he spent on the pitch by a large margin. Great positional sense to pick up the second balls, and a lovely vision and range of passing. Big loss if he's out for a while, although Bradley played well in his absence in the second half.

Some of the long periods of possession we had in the second half were a joy to watch. Really impressive. All in all very positive stuff.
    Last edited by AlanOB; 19/03/2013 at 10:19 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Hope O'Leary is ok and doesn't miss too many games. UCD gifted us one goal but we were full value for the other two. Almost scored a cracker of a 4th (was it Bradley?), keeper a little off his line and a powerful dipping drive over his head from at least 30 yards, parried onto the crossbar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    In fairness, Mark McGinley should have saved O'Leary's shot for the second. Dreadful goalkeeping.

The third goal was the result of excellent team pressing and fully deserved, although it was again contributed to by the keeper in the shape of a poor kickout if memory serves.

And obviously, the first took a wicked deflection.
    Last edited by AlanOB; 19/03/2013 at 10:31 PM.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    What exactly happened to O'Leary?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    He twisted his knee , Going for a scan in the morning apparently , Think the keeper got blindsided for the 2nd goal it came in so fast through all the bodies it was gone past him before he even realised it, Think the poor number 13 for UCD was at fault for 2 of the goals got loads of abuse off the home crowd and took it to heart I think , To say that the score flattered us is wrong imo there keeper had a number of saves to make , I don't think Barry in the other goals had anything to do bar a few clearances

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    great crowd for a tues night and well deserved 3pts.we were gifted the three goals.the students errors were punished which was the important thing.kept the ball well,passing was good especially with o leary on the pitch always positive.this was a test of sorts,UCD were at times terrible,but we were expected to beat them comfortably and did so.bigger tests ahead,well done taylor good start.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by briancool21 View Post
    To say that the score flattered us is wrong imo there keeper had a number of saves to make , I don't think Barry in the other goals had anything to do bar a few clearances
    You're correct and perhaps I'm being more than a bit harsh, but I'm simply commenting on the fact that we didn't create many clear cut chances against what was a very poor side, who weren't even capable of basics like getting compact and denying us space between the lines.

Really we never left first gear, which is mainly because we didn't have to - the 3-0 HT lead was more or less landed in our lap. It will be interesting to see how we fare at home to Pats and Rovers.

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Ye got a good crowd for a mid week game.. any sign of a ucd fan?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanOB View Post
    The scoreline flattered us a little. I felt that our attacking play was too narrow at times with both Galbraith and Tracy looking to come in off the flanks and get in between the lines. The latter was much better in that regard (although UCD's lack of compactness played into our hands - could have down with playing an anchorman in there perhaps, rather than playing Burke off McMillan). It might be better in future if one of the wide players hugs the touchline when we utilise the 4-2-3-1 shape. I thought Galbraith would have been better off performing that role tonight.

Great stuff from the young lad Rainsford, although as already mentioned UCD were making things easy for Limerick in that area of the pitch. Curran upfront held it up brilliantly - leagues better with his back to goal than the other target men that we've had over the years. I thought he was deserving of much more credit from the crowd than he received.

Dreadful to see O'Leary's injury. He was the standout player in the time he spent on the pitch by a large margin. Great positional sense to pick up the second balls, and a lovely vision and range of passing. Big loss if he's out for a while, although Bradley played well in his absence in the second half.

Some of the long periods of possession we had in the second half were a joy to watch. Really impressive. All in all very positive stuff.
    You make it sound like we were the less sh*t of both teams.....which I suppose we were really so technically you're right

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickccfc View Post
    Ye got a good crowd for a mid week game.. any sign of a ucd fan?

There was a handful of UCD fans going into the away stand and apparently Limerick invited them into Premium level as guests of the club. Nice touch if true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Any news yet on O'Learys injury?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harpin View Post
    You make it sound like we were the less sh*t of both teams.....which I suppose we were really so technically you're right
    The only thing I'm worried about the moment is the lack of clear cut chances created. I know it's still a relatively new team and style of play, but no other team will be as generous as UCD were. I'd take a draw at Sligo right now.
    Hopefully O'Leary will make it too, he's had a great start to the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    David twisted his knee and will be out for about six weeks.Thank God it wasnt as serious as it looked,
    he would be an awful loss to us as he has been our stand out player so far this season.Best wishes David....