Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clubs move into Collective Profit

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

Clubs move into Collective Profit

FAI claim that profit is the norm in LoI !

FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION OF IRELAND

Friday, March 1, 2013

Airtricity League launches 2013 season

Clubs move into collective profit

The 2013 Airtricity League season was officially launched today when players, managers and officials from all 20 clubs attended a reception in the Aviva Stadium where it was revealed that last year Airtricity League clubs made a collective profit of €241,544.

A review of the audited accounts for the 19 clubs showed that 11 clubs made an operating profit and no club reported a loss of more than €40,000 after exceptional items were taken into consideration.

The move by the clubs into collective profit is the latest stage of a progressively improving trend which has seen losses reduced dramatically since the National League came under the direct control of the Football Association of Ireland in 2007. Losses were reduced from €6.9 million in 2007 to €2.7m in 2010 and almost reached breakeven in 2011 before the move into profit in 2012.

The situation in the Airtricity League is the complete opposite of the trend across Europe where, according to UEFA’s Benchmarking Report on the finances of clubs in the top divisions of each European country, aggregate losses rose from €0.6billion in 2007 to €1.7billion in 2011 with 63 per cent of top division clubs reporting a loss in 2011.

Commenting on the 2012 figures, the Director of the Airtricity League Fran Gavin said: “This is a significant milestone for our clubs and represents a major turnaround in club finances since the FAI took over the League in 2007. Our clubs should be congratulated for the achievement however, we cannot be complacent. Collectively, we must continue to ensure prudence in the interests of supporters and the Airtricity League as a whole, ensuring that clubs develop sustainably with a focus on facilities, coaching and playing squads to continue the upward trend.”

The Airtricity League Premier and First Divisions will commence on Friday, March 8 and a total of 330 league and play-off games will be played between then and November 1 in addition to matches in the FAI Ford Cup, EA SPORTS Cup, Setanta Sports Cup, UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League.

RTE and Setanta Sports will be continuing their live coverage of matches during the season and the popular RTE Two weekly highlights programme, MNS, will return to the screens on Monday, March 11.

Among the highlights of the new season will be the return of Premier Division football to Limerick after an absence of 19 seasons in addition to the introduction of Thomond Park as an Airtricity League venue. The 2013 season will also mark the return of Cobh Ramblers to the First Division after a four year absence.

Launching the 2013 season, the Chairman of the FAI’s National League Executive Committee, Eamonn Naughton said: “We look forward with eager anticipation to what is going to unfold between now and November and I wish all our clubs the very best for the coming season.”

Paul O’Shaughnessy, Head of Energy Sales, Airtricity, commented: “As Ireland’s fastest-growing energy provider, we’re proud to sponsor the Airtricity League and to be the official ‘power’ behind Irish football as well as to be the Official Energy Partner to the FAI and to its international teams. The Airtricity League continues to improve all the time and we’re very proud at Airtricity, through our sponsorship and our association with clubs, fans and communities all across the country, to play our part towards that improvement.”

Prize-money for the 2013 season will be the same as last year with the winners of the Premier Division receiving €100,000. The Premier Division clubs will be playing for a prize-fund of €241,500 with €74,000 being competed for in the First Division and €25,000 in the EA SPORTS Cup.

The 12 clubs participating in the 2013 Premier Division will be: Bohemians, Bray Wanderers, Cork City, Derry City, Drogheda United, Dundalk, Limerick, St Patrick’s Athletic, Shamrock Rovers, Shelbourne, Sligo Rovers and UCD.

The eight clubs participating in the 2013 First Division will be: Athlone Town, Cobh Ramblers, Finn Harps, Longford Town, Mervue United, Salthill Devon, Waterford United and Wexford Youths.

The EA SPORTS Cup will begin tomorrow with a game in Pool 2 while the Setanta Sports Cup commenced on February 11.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I knew it was Monaghan holding us back
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    So is this to be taken as the truth, i mean there just doesn't seem to be any party out there, journalist or otherwise to contest this or give it some sort of scrutiny. To be fair, if its true then fair play but i just always wonder is it constructed to suit their own agenda, an agenda which you might assume is similar to any LOI fan, we all want succuss afterall but i think some of the finer detail we may differ on to some degree.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Formerly skibbereen co.cork but now Oregon USA
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Setanta Cup has significantly more money than the EA Sports Cup, So who still thinks the League cup is more important?
    west cork district league
    west cork commandos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by citybone View Post
    Setanta Cup has significantly more money than the EA Sports Cup, So who still thinks the League cup is more important?
    When has anybody ever thought that?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    When has anybody ever thought that?
    Derry.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

8. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    no club reported a loss of more than €40,000 after exceptional items were taken into consideration.
    I wonder what this is about?

Also, does anyone know what the affiliation fees are this year?
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post

Also, does anyone know what the affiliation fees are this year?

One Billion...eh..Euro.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    This is pretty encouraging news. Perhaps the league is finally starting to move beyond its tendency to gamble financially. But it won't take much to set us back and start the whole crazy arms race one more time and quite a few clubs remain on a pretty tenuous footing.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Capital spending I'd assume. Building work at Sligo and Finn Harps, Limerick too I'd assume.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Encouraging news alright. If reports are to be beleived, it has been heading this way over recent years. Hope to see all 20 clubs make it through the league season this time. It'd be great to see the airtricity league muscle in more in terms of sporting headlines now on the park. The rabo direct is more rubble direct. The GAA league's hardly set the pulses racing either.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    last year Airtricity League clubs made a collective profit of €241,544.
    We made 87K profit last season so 36% of the profit was from one club!

Not thats great money, or anything like it, but happy with it.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    We made 87K profit last season so 36% of the profit was from one club!

Not thats great money, or anything like it, but happy with it.
    Well it would be a smaller percentage if you took out the clubs making a loss, which we don't seem to have figures. I assume Limerick's losses were in at least 8 figures.

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Unbelieveable news, I never expected to see the day that about 2/3 of LOI clubs are making a profit. Our small country is again the envy of all Europe. As someone who lost a decent sum of money on Irish bank shares I take great comfort that this statement from the FAI is based on audited accounts no less.
    However it is great to have the LOI back, but I would not write the competition off; there is a big roar coming from the rugby match at the showgrounds in Galway tonight and I was at a hurling league match on sunday which had a crowd of10k there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    It's great news and I welcome it- but is it really the best way to promote the league? I appreciate that given the league's history any move towards stability is good of course.

Is anyone out going to think "I'll go to a game seeing as the clubs are generally making a profit." There has to be a better angle.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Did the Shamrocks Europa League group stage prize money bring the figure up i wonder?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    It's great news and I welcome it- but is it really the best way to promote the league? I appreciate that given the league's history any move towards stability is good of course.

Is anyone out going to think "I'll go to a game seeing as the clubs are generally making a profit." There has to be a better angle.
    The whole launch in the Aviva is the best way to promote the league and they've done that. It's a good news story to go with it considering recent financial troubles of clubs. Getting more people to see a game is down to respective clubs really. The FAI did a good initiative in fairness with the Cup final ticket prices.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Well i don't think one or two seasons will have an impact but if you have at least five years of the same and possibly one year where every club makes a profit, then that could be described as a league about to turn a corner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast