Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-season Friendlies 2013

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    There are only 15 signed so definitely more to come need to be 5 good quality players though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Na it was Craig Burns.
    My bad!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpin4 View Post
    I have to agree I'm afraid... That team will struggle. Craig Burns is a funny one for me, I never really rated him. He's fine coming attacking a ball, but I'd worry about him when it goes in behind. In my opinion, a quick centre half is needed because two players who struggle with a ball in behind is a recipe for disaster.
    From what I've seen the centre halves won't be going too far up the pitch, he'll push the full backs on and we are going to play our football from the back. Agree the squad doesn't look that strong

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I am happy with the players that we have signed from last years squad but we have to be realistic, that these players struggled to win a poor standard league. It has all been said before. With this in mind I thought that the club would have brought in 5 or 6 new players to strenghten the squad to enable them to finish mid table. However with only 4 weeks left we have only got 2. Folan may have a good cv having played with newcastle reserves but what stands out in his short career is that his is injury prone. I know nothing about axel. To me it seems that our new management seem to underestimate the standard of the league that their now in. We need more additions and fast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalna View Post
    I am happy with the players that we have signed from last years squad but we have to be realistic, that these players struggled to win a poor standard league. It has all been said before. With this in mind I thought that the club would have brought in 5 or 6 new players to strenghten the squad to enable them to finish mid table. However with only 4 weeks left we have only got 2. Folan may have a good cv having played with newcastle reserves but what stands out in his short career is that his is injury prone. I know nothing about axel. To me it seems that our new management seem to underestimate the standard of the league that their now in. We need more additions and fast.

Axel hasnt signed yet.

There are only 15 signed squad is far from finished.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    If you compare the squad that Kenny has put together at Dundalk (the weakest team from Premier last year) to what Limerick have signed so far, I think Limerick are in for a difficult season. However games are not won on paper, but still I hope the manager understands the standard of soccer he will be competing at. I still expect him to bring in about 3 quality players he is familar with, from across channel who can strenghten the team. I note UCD defeated Shamrock Rovers today in a friendly, so it will be different to last year for Gamble and Bradley in midfield for example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalna View Post
    To me it seems that our new management seem to underestimate the standard of the league that their now in.
    What have you seen from the management so far to indicate this??

Quote Originally Posted by wonder88
    If you compare the squad that Kenny has put together at Dundalk (the weakest team from Premier last year) to what Limerick have signed so far, I think Limerick are in for a difficult season.
    Except Dundalk wont be the weakest team in the Premier this year and should be looking to finish ahead of Limerick.

I'd be looking more towards Bohs, Bray and Shels for a bit of comfort.

There's only fifteen players signed which would suggest more on the way, anywhere between sixth and ninth depending on how next few weeks go.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I am not overly concerned yet, all we need to do is stay in the division the coming season and we aren't far away from a squad who can achieve this even at present, and this is before the new managers influence is felt at all in terms of signings, and I'd imagine it's is about to be. If as suggested above we are about to add even three or four quality, or even emerging potential players from cross channel in the right positions the squad would take a very different hue.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    We need to start signing more players asap that backline we currently have is not good enough purcell struggled last season against poor teams a season to far this year. We have no wingers we need at least another two strikers foley is finished he couldn't get on last season i don't know what the club is playing at kick off is around the corner. We need at least 5 first team (starters) players signed up and fast or it will be a very long season fans will simply not turn up to see a poor limerick team you will have a situation that away fans will easily out number the home fans and it will look ridiculous in that stadium having 5 600 knocking around. Sort it out lfc.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Who's to say though that the club can afford financially to bring in 5 more very good first team starters?

You could be talking an extra 2,000 to 3,000 in wages added depending on the quality of signing.

We need some more quality yes but maybe the club are taking their time to make sure they get value for money.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    Who's to say though that the club can afford financially to bring in 5 more very good first team starters?

You could be talking an extra 2,000 to 3,000 in wages added depending on the quality of signing.

We need some more quality yes but maybe the club are taking their time to make sure they get value for money.

Well its very simple we will be relegated with the squad we have at the moment the club will lose money through attendances aswell. All the hard work to finally get promoted will be for nothing its been nothing short of a nightmare we have 15 players signed with the season weeks away no time for players to adjust to tactics playing together etc etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    If let's say players were signed the middle of next week or the end of it, then they still have 3 weeks to play friendlies and plenty of training.

Taylor said in the paper today he is talking to players abroad and is looking to bring in at least 4 of them.

I'd prefer we get the right players rather than expensive mercenaries that will probably end up with us relegated regardless.

People said Drogheda would be favourites last year but look how well they did we a good solid hard grafting team that played for each other.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I agree Drogheda were a huge success last year. The bulk of their signings last year were from Monaghan United and the players not alone knew eachother but knew the way the manager wanted to play as he would have managed them before. Unlike us who would not have played or know the prospetive new signings or the managers way of playing. All im saying is preseason is for all this and with a month to go we are running out of time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    If let's say players were signed the middle of next week or the end of it, then they still have 3 weeks to play friendlies and plenty of training.

Taylor said in the paper today he is talking to players abroad and is looking to bring in at least 4 of them.

I'd prefer we get the right players rather than expensive mercenaries that will probably end up with us relegated regardless.

People said Drogheda would be favourites last year but look how well they did we a good solid hard grafting team that played for each other.
    Might be being a bit harsh here but Foley, Bradley and maybe Gamble wouldn't figure in that for me

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    I will be surprised if Bohs are in the bottom two this year, still not convinced that Limerick are getting good value for their spending so far, however it may all change in the next week or so. I admire the manager for not rushing into signing players he does not know, and are foisted on him/the club by agents. There is still value to be found I am sure, in the last week before the deadline. Heard the the Dundalk budget is approx 7-8k per week, does anyone on here had an idea of the Limerick one ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,357 Posts
    Limerick have far from the worst squad in the Premier. Arguably one of the strongest midfield options in Gamble, Bradley and O'Leary.

Bray/Bohs/Shels/UCD will be battling it out at the bottom. Expect Limerick to be comfortably 6 points or more above those four teams.

Your squad from last season barely got into second gear throughout the year.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Biggest worry for me is that we need to hit the ground running momentum is huge to survive in the premier league and the first few games will dictate what way people will come out and support us start bad and it will be the same old story start well and it will gather intrest and get more people to come out and support the lads..Club took a long time to replace scully and i think Stuart Taylor is suffering for that he needs to get his squad together and get some more quality in and also some quality friendlies.. Takes more than a few weeks to galvanise a new team and put your stamp on it as a manager..Need action by this day week or i will be fairly worried.. Cork wont be taking any prisoners first game of the season.. Fingers crossed we get it right and hit the ground running..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Limerick have far from the worst squad in the Premier. Arguably one of the strongest midfield options in Gamble, Bradley and O'Leary.

Bray/Bohs/Shels/UCD will be battling it out at the bottom. Expect Limerick to be comfortably 6 points or more above those four teams.

Your squad from last season barely got into second gear throughout the year.

Very good point. Not once last year do i think we played anywhere near the level the players we have can, not that thats a good thing but if they do get up near them levels this season we have some top quality players. Stephen Bradley and Joe Gamble are two top players that we never seen the best from last season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Cobh away next Tuesday 12th 7:45 has been added as well as a training camp in Glasgow from Feb 22nd to Feb 26th.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Salthill game off according to LOI blog.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast