Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: The Flag Issue/Cheist an Bratach/The Fleg Prooblum

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'Loyalists ask us to respect their flag as they burn everyone else's?': http://www.irishcentral.com/story/ne...215221501.html

International flags found on top of loyalist bonfires in Northern Ireland this week have reportedly included: the Irish flag, the Kenyan flag, the Indian flag, the Polish flag, the Mexican flag, the Gay Pride flag and for good measure I suppose Ivory Coast flag.

But what on Earth did the Ivory Coast do to offend loyalism? That's the unlikely question we must ask ourselves having just learned that their flag is adorning a loyalist bonfire this week.

One Belfast bonfire even featured a statue of the Virgin Mary (that was later removed and handed to local Catholic priest Father Gary Donegan, before it could be engulfed).

So, that, I suppose.

All of this leads us to a question: what is going on with loyalism? Aren't the stresses and strains of modern life already challenging enough in this century without the need to offer annual widespread mortal insult to the people you otherwise don't ordinarily meet and don't know?

Why would loyalism intentionally set out to insult the people of the Ivory Coast? What on earth could that African nation have done to Northern Ireland? Or Mexico, for that matter? Or Poland? What insult has Poland offered loyalism?

Recall for a moment that the Northern Irish peace process was almost completely destabilized last year by the so-called 'respect our flag' movement and the widespread months long civil disturbances they caused.

Loyalism is asking us to respect its flag as it burns everyone else's? That takes a measure of self-defeating arrogance that you don't often see in life.
    Why are such national flags being burned? Are they being lazily associated with Catholicism or is it just a case of crass any-foreign-flag-will-do xenophobia?

This was a photo my friend took overlooking the Fountain estate in the "City of Culture" on the eve of the Twelfth:

And I thought the following line from this story about Nigel Dodds being knocked unconscious during rioting after a parade was blocked was priceless:

"Police were attacked with ceremonial swords as well as missiles."

At least they were cultural about it...

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Anyone else think that looks like a giant homemade Dalek?
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    these guys hate taighs, jews, muslins, blacks, papists, poles, Slovaks, Latvians, Lithuanians, French, Spanish, Italians but my god they love jesus christ
    Long Live King Kenny

6. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    these guys hate taighs, jews, muslins, blacks, papists, poles, Slovaks, Latvians, Lithuanians, French, Spanish, Italians but my god they love jesus christ
    They also hate denims, chinos, tarpaulins and other materials as it chafes.

I advise anyone who wants a good laugh to watch Russia Today's coverage. I know that "news" has moved away from being news and trying to be balanced (or pretending to be), but when there is a group that is so unbalanced, how can you ask them "Well, put your side forward." Like any scum promoting hatred and violence, they should be deprived of the oxygen of media. Turn off the cameras, send in the heavy squad and soon they'll cop on. I've grown to feel the same way about "hoolies", if the police used live ammunition and the media refused to glorify them, Danny Dyer wouldn't be long in copping himself on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Oh look some commentary on the issue of rioting:

Quote Originally Posted by krank.ie

When will we stop surrendering to the idiocy of loyalism?

“I think unionism hasn’t adapted because it knows what it’s against better than what it’s for” – Susan McKay

So the annual celebration of Irish loyalist culture continued this week culminating in the traditional parades on the “Glorious Twelfth”.

Nearly all but a handful passed off with little incident. However the usual hotspots still managed to make headlines on the national and international stages. Whilst it initially had all the hallmarks of what everyone in Ireland is used to in mid-July, there was a menace this year that had been present in the Flag protests of last December and January.

Nigel Dodds, Democratic Unionist MP for the Belfast North constituency, became a victim as he was knocked unconscious whilst appealing for calm among his “constituents”. The incident itself was laughed off around Twitter and Facebook, even affected republican youths found it hilarious. But I ask the question, what if he had died?

I am no fan of Nigel or his party, nor am I remotely in agreement with his politics but this incident highlights the fact that this is not your common-or-garden Catholic-v-Protestant; nationalist-v-unionist; Us-v-them situation. It was this particular incident that showed that there is a serious disconnect between the working-class loyalist and society in general.

I would like to say “loyalist youth” but it’s clear from the pictures that have emerged from Ardoyne and other parts of North and East Belfast that there are more than so-called youths involved here.

So what is going on within Irish loyalism that has these people inflicting their dissatisfaction at the PSNI and local politicians in such a violent manner?

Since the death of David Ervine, working class loyalism has been lacking a figurehead of any substance, and that is not meant to be a slight on Dawn Purvis, his successor as Progressive Unionist leader. David was no angel and was seen by some as a reformed terrorist and a hypocrite. However his influence and charisma showed a positive future for Irish loyalism and that could only be a welcome thing.

Unfortunately since his untimely death in 2007 loyalists have had no one really to look up to, and the vacuum has been filled with tension, loss, Jamie Bryson and Willie Frazer.

Loyalism as a movement is flawed and it is this flaw that is bringing the violence of the last week and the so-called “Fleg protests” last December and January to the fore of the national consciousness. Again.

The subservient nature of working-class loyalism towards their so-called “betters” within society is well-documented. This serfdom worked out well once you were doing better than your downtrodden and victimised Catholic/Nationalist neighbour but since this is no longer the case and nationalists are moving away from this sort of “Us- v-Them” world in their droves, loyalists have lost their unique selling point as they see it. “If we can’t hate Fenians who can we hate?”

I see this as the root of issues within loyalism. This disconnect has manifested itself in violent and angry ways. They feel a disaffection with the political process which no longer guarantees them supremacy over their nationalist neighbour and it is the result of this, we see needless violence again on the streets of Belfast for the last week.

To equate these issues to simply because of the banning of the return leg of the Twelfth March through Ardoyne on Friday last is unwise at best and quite naïve.

So what can be done about this?

The only solution is for Irish loyalism to grow up and start acting responsibly and setting out what it wants for the future. Simply stating that it wants to maintain the north of Ireland’s status as part of the United Kingdom whilst “defending” Protestant culture from the perfidious Fenian is no longer good enough.

Loyalism deserves better. Ulster deserves better. And above all Ireland deserves better.
    http://www.krank.ie/category/opinion...y-of-loyalism/

So eh yeah, lemme know what ye think and share and retweet the hell out of it if ye must.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Basil McCrea on 'Respect for Flags': http://blogs.qub.ac.uk/compromiseaft...ect-for-flags/

Does the Union flag represent the United Kingdom or is it a marker in a sectarian battlefield? When the flag of the country hangs tattered from a lamppost, so does our society. When it is wrapped around someone during a riot or used to attack the police, it is defiled. In no other country would this be allowed.

The Union flag and the flags of all states should be treated with respect by Governments, politicians and individuals within society – the Union flag and the flag of other states are not and should not be used as tribal symbols.

This year there are more flags, bigger flags and more overtly challenging flags on the streets of Northern Ireland. The flying of UVF flags with the simple expedient of adding the number 1913 does not make them historical artefacts. What happened to the loyalism which took many risks to deliver peace?

The flying of flags in such a manner is an affront to the majority of citizens, most of whom support Northern Ireland’s place within the United Kingdom. The flying of flags in such a manner is a form of intimidation, it is sectarian and yes, it does deter investment, it does destroy business and it does make a house harder to sell.

It is time for such flags to come down.

The 20th Century parties refuse to question those who put them up, let alone insist that they should be taken down, and in doing so they refuse to show the Union flag and other national flags the respect they deserve. When Paul Girvan believes it is acceptable to burn the flag of the Republic of Ireland on a bonfire, should we be surprised that the DUP refuses to stand up and call for the Union flag to be respected?

We have lost control of our public spaces to faceless individuals with no interest in a common future. When it is deemed acceptable to burn national flags and let them be used as markers of segregation, our society and democracy are in a bad place. The anonymous and prolonged flying of flags is a challenge to the rule of law, a challenge to a common future, a challenge to our community. We dare not ignore them!

The Life and Times Survey shows that 74% of the population do not support the flying of flags from lampposts in their neighbourhood. This ‘silent majority’ needs to make its voice heard. There is a need to reclaim the streets and help bring genuine civic pride back into disaffected communities. As Northern Ireland slides towards the hard-line the potential consequences of doing and saying nothing continues to grow. To live in a modern, tolerant and peaceful democracy is a privilege. It is not guaranteed. It is worth defending. It is worth voting for.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    As the plot is well and truly lost, Willie Frazer arrives to court today dressed up as Abu Hamza with Bryson dressed up as... Actually, I have no idea what's going on with Bryson.

More comedy here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-24294969

Loyalist campaigner Willie Frazer arrived at Belfast's Laganside court on Friday dressed as radical Muslim cleric Abu Hamza.

He was wearing a black robe, skullcap, a fake beard, an eye-patch and hooked hand.

Mr Frazer, 53, was protesting at being charged under legislation that, he claims, was brought in to deal with militant Islamic preachers.

He faces charges linked to union flag demonstrations in January.

Mr Frazer was accompanied by other prominent flag protesters, Jim Dowson and Jamie Bryson.

In a statement, he said the only people in the United Kingdom to be charged under these "hate preaching laws" have been peaceful Protestant/Christian protesters from Northern Ireland.

The loyalist, from Markethill, County Armagh, faces three charges of taking part in an un-notified public procession. He also faces a charge of obstructing traffic, possession of a prohibited weapon and encouraging or assisting an offence to be committed.

He is due to appear in court again next week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Oul' Wullie just can't stop giving: http://m.u.tv/News/School-%E2%80%98I...5-a16348618fac

IRA HQ claim over school's Italian flag

A victims' campaigner has labelled a Co Tyrone primary school an IRA training ground, after mistaking an Italian flag outside the building for an Irish tricolour.
    Willie Frazer hit out at St Patrick's Primary in Donaghmore, posting a picture of the school flying the flags of Poland, Turkey and Italy on Facebook.

Seeming to mistake the red in the Italian flag for orange and thinking it was an Irish flag, he commented: "This is a school in Tyrone flying the Irish flag on the school grounds why".

The 51-year-old founder of Families Acting for Innocent Relatives also claimed the school was "the junior headquarters of SF/IRA youth, or it may as well be".

I wounder do they also train the children in how to use weapons, for it seems they can do what they wont. [sic]
    - Willie Frazer

The school was flying the flags as part of a European project, during which 11 teachers from the countries represented visited the school.

St Patrick's principal Dera Calahane expressed shock at "how vindictive and inciteful the comments were".

She said: "The comments made are inaccurate. The three flags on display were the Italian, Polish and Turkish national flags.

"These were flying as part of the welcome to our Comenius Partner Schools who were visiting at the time.

"It appears some individual has mistaken the Italian flag for the Irish flag. The school is currently taking legal advice and is bringing the matter to the PSNI."

Mrs Calahane added that, although the visiting teachers were not aware of the incident, she fears they could find out.

"I would hate to think that the school's relationship would be damaged," she added.

The flags have since been taken down by the school and the pictures have been removed from Facebook.

Mr Frazer further commented on the situation on the social networking site, posting a message which said: "The flag seen flying at this school is not the irish tricolour, and it may look very like it but i can asure people it is not. [sic]"

A PSNI spokesperson said police have spoken to those involved "in an attempt to resolve what appears to have been a misunderstanding regarding the flying of flags at the school".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    That's soooo last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Ah, joke's on me. The date hadn't even registered with me. Saw it pop up on my Facebook newfeed this eve and just assumed it was recent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Nearly 2 years lads. It's been great craic all the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Thought I'd post this here rather than start a new topic (or put it in the eligibility thread) as it relates to the matter of identity and also looks quite closely at the Protestant Ulster-Scots community of the Laggan district in Donegal, who have already been mentioned earlier in this thread. It's a project called Border Lives that documents the lives, experiences and stories of people who live and have lived by the border between the two jurisdictions on the island of Ireland. I'd known of the project but only yesterday did I come across their 'Other Laggan' video, which happens to cover the area along the Donegal-Derry border where I grew up and call home. It looks at community relations, the traditions of the area's significant Ulster-Scots minority and also has some discussion on the common practice of smuggling back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Border Lives
    16 interviewees participate in the film, with some interviews from representatives of the Monreagh Ulster Scots Heritage Centre. This area also talks about the economic impact and customs. They talk a lot about Derry-Londonderry and the difference between where they lived compared to the violence and fear they saw in the city. Several people spoke of crossing the border to work in Derry, of bombscares, & of hijackings. Donegal Protestants talk about their attitudes towards the border and the troubles as well as representatives of the local clergy in terms of their hope for the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mahon
    Some of the soundest, most respectable and God-fearing people were involved in smuggling. And if you lived near the border it was almost mandatory.
    There are five other videos besides 'The Other Laggan', each looking at a different locality along the border, including those areas between Tyrone, Fermanagh and Armagh and the south. Just thought I'd post it here anyway as it might be of interest to any others whose lives were shaped by living by the border.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Willie Frazer has another Dublin march in the pipeline, assuming gardaí allow it to go ahead: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/polit...uary-1.2092936

Quote Originally Posted by Aine McMahon
    Loyalist campaigner Willie Frazer will meet gardaí on Monday to discuss a planned march in Dublin.

Loyalists are planning a march through Dublin city centre this month to “demand justice” from the Government for people killed by the IRA in Border areas during the Troubles.

Mr Frazer will meet gardaí to discuss the route of the parade and any potential trouble that might arise from it.

He said the parade will take place on a Saturday and will go from O’Connell street to Leinster House, on Kildare Street.

Mr Frazer said “numbers is not a problem”, and expects a couple of hundred people will attend.

“I don’t think the majority of people in Dublin would be happy enough with us coming down. They’re not interested one way or the other. Unfortunately there will be a section there who will try to stir it up,” he said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I'd already mentioned I watched it here, but there's an interesting three-part documentary series on BBC iPlayer at the minute called 'Imagining Ulster' in which William Crawley explores the diverse history of the Ulster(-Scots) identity. (It was shown on BBC 2 over the past couple of weeks.) Just thought I'd post a few words and thoughts on it and some related stuff here.

It puts the unionist/loyalist and Ulster Protestant community's popular dismissal of their shared sense of Irishness primarily down to the IRA's northern campaign in the latter half of the twentieth century. They sought to strongly disassociate themselves from it and so their identification as British strengthened as Ulster society became more polarised. Obviously, this wasn't the only factor that had an influence on the changing of self-perceptions; the northern and southern states both played up socio-cultural/religious differences to serve their respective political goals from the outset of partition.

Prior to this, however, cross-identification was more frequent; Protestant Ulster-Scots men like James Orr at one time made up the membership of the United Irishmen, whilst the nineteenth century poet Thomas Beggs, in summing up the dual nationality felt by the Ulster-Scots, wrote:

I love my native land no doubt,
    Attached to her through thick and thin,
    Yet though I'm Irish all without,
    I'm every item Scotch within.

Even the staunchly-unionist Newsletter greeted Queen Victoria upon her 1849 visit to Belfast with a hearty "Céad míle fáilte!" It's a great shame the two "sides" later became so entrenched in their perceived differences, thus making finding common ground so difficult.

From a personal/local perspective, some intriguing footage of an unnamed and unidentified border crossing in the 1920s featured:

It's pure guesswork here, but the terrain and form of the road and surroundings looks remarkably familiar to me from (if my suspicion is correct) having passed over it hundreds, if not thousands, of times throughout my life. I'm pretty sure it's the Donegal-Derry border crossing on the Letterkenny Road after the Mullennan Road/Nixon's Corner intersection (if going towards Donegal, as the camera is pointing) and before Killea, which is up a hill at the end of the long straight. This is how that section of road looks in the modern-day for comparison: https://goo.gl/maps/8R9pO

The house on the right has received a bit of a face-lift since, by the looks of things, but, otherwise, the shape of the gate and walls, trees and hedges all look almost identical. Down the road slightly, on the behind-side of the camera, was the site of a fairly major British army checkpoint/barricade installation during the Troubles that remained in place up until such border structures were dismantled as part of the peace process.

I had mentioned in my other post how Crawley spoke of Britain's secret offer to agree to a united Ireland in principle during the Second World War on the condition that the neutral south joined up with the Allies. De Valera rejected the offer, however, on the basis that there was no guarantee of unity and due to the fact that the practical reality would still have to have been agreed by the "representatives of the government of Éire and the government of Northern Ireland". I came across the following Wikipedia page whilst doing some further reading around this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_n...g_World_War_II

Finding out about the "Donegal Corridor" from this subsequent reading was something completely new to me. Indeed, its existence was also kept secret at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The Donegal Corridor (Irish: Muinchinn Dúin na nGall) was a narrow strip of Irish airspace linking Lough Erne to the international waters of the Atlantic Ocean through which the Irish Government permitted flights by British military aircraft during World War II. This was a contravention of Irish neutrality and was not publicised at the time.
    Fascinating stuff.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    With thoughts of the border in mind, for some reason the notion of territorial ownership of Lough Foyle crossed my mind; I had a vague recollection that possession of Lough Foyle might have been under dispute between Ireland and the UK at some point in time, but had assumed that the Good Friday Agreement had cleared up outstanding matters on that front as far as the two states were concerned. I decided to investigate further, but, to my surprise, it transpires that the maritime boundaries in both Lough Foyle and Carlingford Lough are still officially "under dispute". The general debate over the territorial ownership of the waters around the north was actually very interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republi...rthern_Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The exact division of territorial waters between Northern Ireland and Southern Ireland ('Southern Ireland' being coterminous with the territory of the modern-day Irish state) was a matter of some controversy from the outset. Section 1(2) of the Government of Ireland Act 1920 defined the respective territories of Northern Ireland and the then Southern Ireland as follows:

...Northern Ireland shall consist of the parliamentary counties of Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Londonderry and Tyrone, and the parliamentary boroughs of Belfast and Londonderry, and Southern Ireland shall consist of so much of Ireland as is not comprised within the said parliamentary counties and boroughs.

At the time of that Act, both Northern Ireland and Southern Ireland were to remain parts of the United Kingdom. Perhaps because of this, the Act did not explicitly address the position of territorial waters although Section 11(4) provided that neither Southern Ireland nor Northern Ireland would have any competence to make laws in respect of "Lighthouses, buoys, or beacons (except so far as they can consistently with any general Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom be constructed or maintained by a local harbour authority)”.

When the territory that initially was Southern Ireland ultimately became a separate self-governing dominion outside the United Kingdom known as the Irish Free State, the status of the territorial waters naturally took on a significance it had not had before. Northern Ireland's Unionists were conscious of this matter from an early stage. They were keen to put it beyond doubt that the territorial waters around Northern Ireland would not belong to the Irish Free State. In this regard, James Craig, the Prime Minister of Northern Ireland put the following question in the British House of Commons on 27 November 1922 (the month before the establishment of the Irish Free State):

Another important matter on which I should like a statement of the Government's intentions, is with regard to the territorial waters surrounding Ulster. Under the Act of 1920, the areas handed over to the Governments of Northern Ireland and Southern Ireland respectively, were defined as the six Parliamentary counties of Northern Ireland and the twenty-six Parliamentary counties of Southern Ireland. I understand there is considerable doubt in the minds of lawyers and others as to whether these Parliamentary counties carry with them the ordinary territorial waters, extending three miles out from the shore. It has been asserted in some quarters that the Parliamentary counties only extend to low water mark. That has been exercising the minds of a good many people in Ulster, and I shall be glad if the Government in due course will inform the House what is their opinion on the subject and what steps they are taking to make it clear..... Am I to understand that the Law Officers have actually considered this question, and that they have given a decision in favour of the theory that the territorial waters go with the counties that were included in the six counties of Northern Ireland?

In response the Attorney General, Sir Douglas Hogg, said that "I have considered the question, and I have given an opinion that that is so [i.e. the territorial waters do go with the counties]".

However, this interpretation that the territorial waters went with the counties was later disputed by Irish Governments. A good summary of the Irish position was given by the then Taoiseach, Jack Lynch, during a Dáil debate on 29 February 1972:

...[W]e claim that the territorial waters around the whole island of Ireland are ours and our claim to the territorial waters around Northern Ireland is based on the Government of Ireland Act of 1920. This Act is so referred to in the 1921 Treaty that the Northern Ireland which withdrew from the Irish Free State is identical with the Northern Ireland defined in the Government of Ireland Act, 1920, and defined as consisting of named counties and boroughs. It is, I think, common case between us that in English law the counties do not include adjacent territorial waters and, therefore, according to our claim these territorial waters were retained by the Irish Free State.

A particular dispute arose between the Government of the Irish Free State of the one part and the Northern Ireland and UK governments of the other part over territorial waters in Lough Foyle. Lough Foyle lies between County Londonderry in Northern Ireland and County Donegal in the then Irish Free State. A court case in the Free State in 1923 relating to fishing rights in Lough Foyle held that the Free State's territorial waters ran right up to the shore of County Londonderry. In 1927, illegal fishing on Lough Foyle had become so grave that Northern Ireland Prime Minister James Craig entered into correspondence with his Free State counterpart, W. T. Cosgrave. Craig indicated to Cosgrave that he proposed to introduce a Bill giving the Royal Ulster Constabulary powers to stop and search vessels on Lough Foyle. Cosgrave asserted all of Lough Foyle was Free State territory and that as such a Bill of that nature would be rejected by the Free State and its introduction would create "a very serious situation". Cosgrave then raised the matter with the British government.

It appears that the territorial waters generally are no longer disputed between the two states but the maritime boundary dispute between Ireland and the United Kingdom concerning Lough Foyle (and similarly Carlingford Lough) may still not have been settled. As recently as 2005, when asked to list those areas of EU member states where border definition is in dispute, a British Government minister responding for the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs stated: "Border definition (ie the demarcation of borders between two internationally recognised sovereign states with an adjoining territorial or maritime border) is politically disputed [between] Ireland [and the] UK (Lough Foyle, Carlingford Lough—quiescent)" It appears moves have been made on the Irish side to settle the issue. During Dáil debates on the Carlingford Fisheries Bill, a contributor to the debate stated that he welcomed "the Bill's aim of defining the area of jurisdiction over the Foyle." However, it appears that the Carlingford Fisheries Act 2007 ultimately remained silent on the point.
    Lough Foyle's Wikipedia page contains the following info:

Lough Foyle is a disputed territory between the Republic of Ireland and the UK After the Partition of Ireland in 1922 both sides claimed that it was in their own territory. Although this dispute is still on going there are currently no negotiations as to its ownership. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office underlined its view on 2 June 2009 that all of Lough Foyle is in the United Kingdom, a spokesperson stating: 'The UK position is that the whole of Lough Foyle is within the UK. We recognise that the Irish Government does not accept this position...There are no negotiations currently in progress on this issue. The regulation of activities in the Lough is now the responsibility of the Loughs Agency, a cross-border body established under the Belfast Agreement of 1998.'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    I saw episodes one and three. Watchable enough but does he get a biscuit for every mention of the absurd Ulster-Scots? It's not a language, just Brendan Rodgers projected back into history

Ye can have Lough Foyle and both its shorelines.

Etc etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Not quite a flag issue but clearly another example of the apartheid and cultural erasure of Unionists:

Quote Originally Posted by RTÉ
    A decision by Derry City and Strabane District Council to change the official name of Londonderry to Derry has been described as "sectarian" and "disgusting" by unionists.

The new move by the council was voted upon at the Guildhall yesterday evening.

It passed with the full support of Sinn Féin, the SDLP and the Independent councillors, despite opposition from the minority unionist block.

The council will now write to the Environment Minister Mark H Durkan of the SDLP, who is from the city itself, on how to go about the change.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0724/716882-derry/

And summat from BBC:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-...-west-33647867
    Last edited by BonnieShels; 24/07/2015 at 10:10 AM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Nationalists can't sneeze without being accused of sectarianism by some in the unionist community.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I always understood that only the queen could authorise an official city name-change, which is why the city has a different official name from the city council; the council can democratically vote on its own name.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Not quite a flag issue but clearly another example of the apartheid and cultural erasure of Unionists
    Stop, man: take a breath of life and show a little respect

It's a predictable overblown response to a predictable cliched stunt.

Either legislation (from WM or Stormont) or 'royal prerogative' (ie a Windsor reads out a speech written by a Tory minister) are needed to rename the city. Or we could redraw the border around it, I suppose.

I'd reclassify it as a biggish town personally.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast