Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Eunan O'Kane (M Leeds Utd (loaned to Luton Town) b.1990)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    His ceremony will be recognised now:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime...ding-1.3113769
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Fair play to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    O'Kane's humanist wedding is to go ahead on Thursday: http://www.thejournal.ie/appeal-huma...52917-Jun2017/

Quote Originally Posted by Cliodhna Russell
    An Irish international footballer and model have been given the go ahead with their humanist marriage by the Court of Appeal in Northern Ireland. Laura Lacole and Eunan O’Kane can now have a legally recognised wedding conducted by a humanist celebrant.

Their wedding will be the first legal humanist ceremony in Northern Ireland and the first in the UK outside of Scotland. Lacole, a model and public speaker, and O’Kane, a Leeds United and Republic of Ireland midfielder, plan to get married on Thursday.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    As demonstrative as you'll see- O'Kane is just an Irishman. Not a Catholic from the north.

It's an interesting one. You often hear people up the north identifying their Catholicism as their reason for identifying as Irish. Playing Gaelic football and following the Irish soccer team and whatever other little things an Irishman up north does are factors too. Not everyone that identifies as Catholic is religious in that regard. I know I'm not anyway.
    Last edited by Olé Olé; 20/06/2017 at 6:36 AM.

6. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Of far more interest is that she claims to be NI's only "glamour model" so a most unusual career to-date. Vice (no pun intended) President of Atheist NI, involved in the first humanist wedding in NI and the only glamour model in NI. Quite a character it would appear.
    Last edited by OwlsFan; 20/06/2017 at 10:18 AM.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    A bizarre letter (e-mail) of sympathy for Eunan O'Kane and Laura Lacole in the Belfast Telegraph on account of their decision to have a humanist ceremony: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/op...-35853294.html

Quote Originally Posted by Donald J. Morrison
    I notice Laura Lacole and Eunan O'Kane have been granted permission to go ahead with their 'humanist marriage' in Northern Ireland (News, June 20). One cannot but have profound pity and feel deep sorrow, not only for this couple, but also all humanists. They have nothing to live for and nothing to die for. They tragically reject all and everything that relates to God. They delude themselves into thinking that everything ends at death. What madness, what folly, what blindness, what delusion. Sadly, both Mr and Ms Humanist fail to grasp that there are no atheists in hell: they now all believe.

Our sincere prayer for Laura and Eunan is that God, in His grace and mercy, will redeem them from the spell of humanism and that they are joined together in marriage with Jesus Christ.
    The mind boggles. Why does Donald even care or think their relationship and the means by which they wanted to celebrate that is any of his business, considering the couple's marriage (along with the thousands of other marriages that occur outside the confines of a Christian church every day around the world that Donald presumably hasn't been e-mailing about) will make absolutely no difference to his life whatsoever? Religious, holier-than-thou people like this probably genuinely think they're coming across as compassionate and are imparting sound advice with good intentions, but such a patronising message is really just downright insulting. "They have nothing to live for"? Give over.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Haha some things aren't worth analysing, Danny.

I hope the mad fella is right about this though and those crazy humanists are deluded...

Quote Originally Posted by Donald J. Morrison
    They delude themselves into thinking that everything ends at death. What madness, what folly, what blindness, what delusion.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Following non existent sky fairies drives some people bonkers.......

Sometimes kids have invisible friends.....but as they grow up they sort of disappear....

Sky Fairy following should be outlawed unless some proof of existence can be produced.....which it never has.....

Sky Fairies are consistent....Absolutely no proof for any of them existing.........

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisLetang View Post
    Humanists. So pretentious.

I guess everyone else would be sub-human?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Of far more interest is that she claims to be NI's only "glamour model" so a most unusual career to-date. Vice (no pun intended) President of Atheist NI, involved in the first humanist wedding in NI and the only glamour model in NI. Quite a character it would appear.
    Well it sounds to me she is the driving force behind the whole thing, I dunno if he is particularly bothered about the whole thing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I suppose it would explain why O'Kane is no good on crosses.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Following non existent sky fairies drives some people bonkers.......

Sometimes kids have invisible friends.....but as they grow up they sort of disappear....

Sky Fairy following should be outlawed unless some proof of existence can be produced.....which it never has.....

Sky Fairies are consistent....Absolutely no proof for any of them existing.........

Do you have any evidence God is non-existent?

I think when you are demanding evidence for someone's belief you should at the very least have some proof for your own otherwise it makes you look rather hypocritical if not reckless.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Jesus, we can't even figure out if Harry Arter is 100% committed to Ireland yet we expect to settle the debate over whether there's a higher power?

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    O'Kane's humanist wedding is to go ahead on Thursday: http://www.thejournal.ie/appeal-huma...52917-Jun2017/
    Why do they need permission all they had to do was get married in a registry office surely?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Well it sounds to me she is the driving force behind the whole thing, I dunno if he is particularly bothered about the whole thing?
    She discussed it with Tara Mills on BBC Radio Ulster's Talkback programme on the 10th of May. There's a segment of the discussion here: https://audioboom.com/posts/5904822-...marriage-in-ni

I can't find the rest of the discussion online as they only make episodes available on the BBC's website for a month or so, but, from what I recall, she said Eunan was from a Catholic background and that she'd managed to convince him to become a humanist. Before this, it wasn't something of which he'd had much awareness, but he seemed keen once humanism was explained to him.

Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Why do they need permission all they had to do was get married in a registry office surely?
    They required authorisation because their desired ceremony - a humanist ceremony conducted by a celebrant accredited by Humanists UK and sharing their outlook on the world - wouldn't have been legally recognised in the north and they presumably didn't want to get married in a registry office (just as a religious couple wouldn't have to get married in a registry office to have their religious marriage ceremony legally recognised).

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Before this, it wasn't something of which he'd had much awareness, but he seemed keen once humanism was explained to him.
    Brilliant. He enjoys nailing her sufficiently, to go along with it so. Basically.

Good lad.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Brilliant. He enjoys nailing her sufficiently, to go along with it so. Basically.

Good lad.
    "Tell me you love me!" replaced by "Tell me you love Humanism!" as the crucial moment of euphoria....
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    It's a brilliantly vicious piece of spiteful malice aforethought dressed up as concern. Can't just mind his own *****ng business. And of course any low point in life that follows hereafter will be down to the madness, folly, delusion and blindness of their not signing up to his preferred edition of poorly or politically translated and edited latin transcribings of hebrew and aramaic middle eastern folk tales.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    This isn't the theology thread.

27. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Well I've signed up for the wrong forum then.

29. Thanks From:

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast