Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Eunan O'Kane (M Leeds Utd (loaned to Luton Town) b.1990)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Agreed on Reading. But interestingly if Wednesday go up, we could find ourselves with 3 premier league goal keepers ( Westwood, Elliott and Randy)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Agreed on Reading. But interestingly if Wednesday go up, we could find ourselves with 3 premier league goal keepers ( Westwood, Elliott and Randy)
    Pondering on how certain clubs carry on....e.g. Newcastle ....who knows what is going to happen with them......... Randy......questions about him as West Hams number 1

If Wednesday do make it up...Westwood might be the best bet for being number 1 for his club.

Hopefully all three are number 1 for their club........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Biting my lip saying it as a Leeds supporter but I hope Wednesday do it this time. Thought they'd make it last year. They've been knockin on the door and deserve a go.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Not strictly a football-related story, but an interesting development nonetheless; Eunan O'Kane's fiancée is taking legal against the General Register Office in the north for refusing to officially authorise her forthcoming humanist marriage to O'Kane: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime...ding-1.3077010

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Erwin
    Ms [Laura] Lacole’s lawyers claim she is being discriminated against under European laws protecting freedom of belief. Granting Ms Lacole leave to seek a judicial review at the High Court in Belfast, Mr Justice Colton said it appeared to be an arguable case in which “an important matter of public interest has been raised”. Proceedings will now advance to a full hearing later this month.

Ms Lacole (27) and Mr O’Kane (26) both described themselves as humanists - a non-religious combination of attitudes and beliefs centred on human experience and welfare.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Humanists. So pretentious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisLetang View Post
    Humanists. So pretentious.
    Good for them, I say. It's about time such ceremonies were recognised in the north, just as they are in the south. As O'Kane's fiancée, who also happens to be vice-chair of Atheist NI says, they simply wish to be married in "the same way as any religious person would want to be married, in a ceremony reflective of their beliefs".

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    So non-belief is a belief? Serious question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisLetang View Post
    So non-belief is a belief? Serious question.
    Humanists can believe in plenty of things (such as the agency of human beings or critical thinking, rationalism and empiricism over the acceptance of dogma and superstition) besides lacking a belief in a deity.

11. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Could he not just be a good Catholic boy like Westwood?

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Could he not just be a good Catholic boy like Westwood?
    I do suppose the FAI will be disappointed to hear of all this. After all, wasn't the only reason they poached O'Kane from the IFA because they thought he was a devout Catholic?

15. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I do suppose the FAI will be disappointed to hear of all this. After all, wasn't the only reason they poached O'Kane from the IFA because they thought he was a devout Catholic?
    Gonna be a very awkward first day the next time he and Keiren Westwood meet up in Ireland camp.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Gonna be a very awkward first day the next time he and Keiren Westwood meet up in Ireland camp.
    I always thought Westwood was more a Humanist name than a Catholic name tbh.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    Take a bow lads!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    First they came for their Catholics , and then the Humanists......Next it'll be the Protestants......

Believers and Unbelievers welcome....

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Not strictly a football-related story, but an interesting development nonetheless; Eunan O'Kane's fiancée is taking legal against the General Register Office in the north for refusing to officially authorise her forthcoming humanist marriage to O'Kane: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime...ding-1.3077010
    Are they having a humanist wedding cake made? Maybe that's the problem. Cakes can be a big issue up north.

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Are they having a humanist wedding cake made? Maybe that's the problem. Cakes can be a big issue up north.
    Even in the North its still impossible to have your cake and eat it as well...

How did Scrodinger's Cat ever manage to Userp Cake......

25. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Saw this on RTE site today.
    A lawyer for the couple told the Belfast High Court that his clients were being unlawfully denied equal rights with religious groups.

Opening the case in front of Mr Justice Adrian Colton, the couple's lawyer Steven McQuitty said all they wanted was the same protection afforded to those of different belief systems.

Mr McQuitty said as the law stood in Northern Ireland the couple's wedding on 22 June would be "legally meaningless".

He told the court the case was of "huge public interest", highlighting that there were 4,290 humanist weddings in Scotland in 2015, more than those conducted by the Church of Scotland.

"Religious people from Pagans to Free Presbyterians and everything in between enjoy a substantial legal privilege under law," he said.

"In a sense the State gives its legal blessing to such marriages."

He claimed the law "denies the same privilege to equally valid groups".

Humanism is a non-religious belief system that rejects the concepts of a higher deity or afterlife.

Humanists adhere to a scientific view of the world and believe humans steer their own destiny.

Ms Lacole, from Belfast, and Mr O'Kane, from Co Derry, are taking a case against the General Register Office for Northern Ireland and Stormont's Department of Finance.
    In Ireland, the civil registration is part of the religious ceremony (it's the bit where you sign your name, and the priest too, who is recognised by the law as a solemniser).
    It would seem that this not the case in NI though - is it the case that those conducting humanist ceremonies are not/cannot be recognised as solemnisers in NI?

EDIT: Ok, I see now:
    She is challenging the General Register Office's decision not to authorise the ceremony due to be conducted by a British Humanist Association celebrant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    O'Kane says the plan is to go for the win against Austria this weekend: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017...land-training/

Quote Originally Posted by Eunan O'Kane
    Everyone is aware of the importance of the game. If the other result goes well, it's an opportunity to open up a gap between us and the teams that are facing us, so we're firmly fixed on getting a good result. There's a clip of Roy saying if anyone thinks we're going out to play for a draw, they're hugely mistaken. That's the case. We want to go into the game to win I don't think there have been any of the games in this campaign, certainly in my time with the squad, where a draw has been the objective. We go to win every game we can and if we can get that win, it's going to be pivotal in pushing us towards qualifying.

It's long time now from this one to the next one, so it's vital that we pick up points. It's a very important weekend in terms of the group. Obviously, we don't want to be going into the summer and pre-season having a bad result lingering over us.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    I'd forgotten about O'Kane.

I think the mood music from the camp is different to that pre-Wales. Then it was "don't lose, maybe win" now it's all sights on winning.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I'd forgotten about O'Kane.

I think the mood music from the camp is different to that pre-Wales. Then it was "don't lose, maybe win" now it's all sights on winning.
    I love this mood music! Pharrell over Tom Waits like!
    Last edited by gastric; 08/06/2017 at 4:39 AM.

30. Thanks From:

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast