Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Debate - Future of Youth Development in Irish Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Irish teenage soccer player sues club for ‘trauma’ http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakin...ma-787383.html
    Can open, worms everywhere
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    TV3's Paul Byrne reporting he lost the case: https://twitter.com/PaulByrne_1/stat...18770881335297
    Schoolboy footballer loses trauma claim against his former club @CarrigalineUtd. See #3News @5.30. @FAIreland
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Good.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Interesting article on the changing schoolboy scene, LOI underage sides vs traditional schoolboy clubs, FAI strategy of backing the LOI clubs rather than the schoolboy clubs etc.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-35661812.html

5. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    TV3's Paul Byrne reporting he lost the case: https://twitter.com/PaulByrne_1/stat...18770881335297
    He (or rather his father) was never going to win that case. Bizarre law suit. And Sheffield Wednesday were interested ? He would have soon been suffering from pre- mid term and post traumatic stress disorder !!
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Irish teenage soccer player sues club for ‘trauma’ http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakin...ma-787383.html
    Can open, worms everywhere
    Snowflake.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Snowflake.
    No, you're the snowflake for thinking he's a snowflake.

Crap, I think that makes me a snowflake for pointing that out.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    sorry for the delay in responding but after that assault I just needed some time in my safe space.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    discussion with Emmer Malone and Kenny Cunningham on the development of the underage setup on Off The Ball last night, on the podcast here: https://cdn.radiocms.net/media/001/a...audio_file.mp3

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Bit of a relevant article in the Irish Times today - http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/socc...-act-1.3113617

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Decent read but I think it sort of ignores that he situation is improving a lot. Could he not frame his discussion in the context that the number of players that started in the LOI in our current squad is at a high in the modern generation? Instead of comparing it to other countries.. I think our culture is changing somewhat in that footballers do see the current squad as an example of how one can stay in Ireland and get, at least, a leaving cert and will be picked up if they're good enough (see Ryan Manning and his 545 or so points).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Also no mention of the recent improving results for the u17 and u19 squads?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Decent read but I think it sort of ignores that he situation is improving a lot.
    Actually, I think the point is made that the situation is in fact disimproving. The point is made that there was more than 3 years without a single ex-LoI player breaking through to the national team, for example. The point is made that you have to be careful (as I think you've just done, and Gabay did) about believing the league will continue to supply players at the rate it has done (the full document actually goes into a lot more detail on that; it was online a while back - I'll see if I can dig it up)

Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Could he not frame his discussion in the context that the number of players that started in the LOI in our current squad is at a high in the modern generation? Instead of comparing it to other countries.
    The league is compared to itself, and it's found that actually, the number of players is now starting to decrease. McClean is the last player to come through, and he's 28.

Comparison to other countries is hugely important when the LoI at its peak is still so far behind practically every other country in Europe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Also no mention of the recent improving results for the u17 and u19 squads?
    Less relevant in the context of a professional route for players to progress from this level to full international.

That said, "improving results" for the u17s when they recently suffered their biggest ever defeat...?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    That said, "improving results" for the u17s when they recently suffered their biggest ever defeat...?
    I think that is Completely unfair. Look at the rest of their results.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Possibly. I think it's worth highlighting though.

But the point is players need a professional route from 17s/19s onwards - England has never been less of an option, and we don't have it in Ireland. So those teams are actually of limited relevance, IMO. (Leaving aside that underage teams often aren't a guide to future national team strength anyway - look at how few of the U-20 World Cup semi-finalists from Malaysia actually went anywhere)

Anyways, found the link for the report in full - https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...html#document/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Actually, I think the point is made that the situation is in fact disimproving. The point is made that there was more than 3 years without a single ex-LoI player breaking through to the national team, for example. The point is made that you have to be careful (as I think you've just done, and Gabay did) about believing the league will continue to supply players at the rate it has done (the full document actually goes into a lot more detail on that; it was online a while back - I'll see if I can dig it up)

The league is compared to itself, and it's found that actually, the number of players is now starting to decrease. McClean is the last player to come through, and he's 28.

Comparison to other countries is hugely important when the LoI at its peak is still so far behind practically every other country in Europe.
    Em...what about Daryl Horgan, Andy Boyle and Alan Browne? And while Kevin Long went before McClean, his career has been bit more slow-burning but he now seems to be getting established and is still young enough that he can have 7-9 years ahead of him. If Ryan Manning keeps his current progress going he will surely be in the picture for a call-up sooner rather than later. Richie Towell is now at a Premier League club, although a good loan move next season might be best for him. Sean Maguire and Kevin O'Connor are going to get their shot next season. Ryan Delaney has shown a lot of promise during his loan at Cork City and will hopefully figure in Burton's first team when he returns. And there's a few former English Academy Cast-Offs who would be eyeing another shot across the water (Kieran Sadlier, Alex O'Hanlon, Brandon Miele). So there's no way I would say the ability of the League of Ireland to produce prospects for the National team is in permanent decline - it certainly dipped after the financial crisis but it's definitely on the rise again and is pretty close to the level achieved from 2003-2010 and might end up becoming better than that time if the underage link-ups work out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Sorry - i meant to come through as a national team regular.

Browne didn't play LoI. You answered your own point on Long. Horgan and Boyle may well be regulars, but it doesn't hide the fact that if they do become regulars, they'd be the first LoI ones in five years.

Towell, Maguire, etc, have done nothing yet. Maguire in particular could just be the next Roy O'Donovan, Dave Mooney or John O'Flynn. Miele is really scraping the barrel in fairness. There's been plenty of players who were going to be the next thing but haven't broken through - Hoban, Forrester and Kearns for example.

There's no evidence the LoI is on the rise again; the report seems to argue quite strongly against. There's certainly no point pretending all is rosy; we've an ageing team with a national league with an appalling track record, even at its peak, for developing players.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Sorry - i meant to come through as a national team regular.

Browne didn't play LoI. You answered your own point on Long. Horgan and Boyle may well be regulars, but it doesn't hide the fact that if they do become regulars, they'd be the first LoI ones in five years.

Towell, Maguire, etc, have done nothing yet. Maguire in particular could just be the next Roy O'Donovan, Dave Mooney or John O'Flynn. Miele is really scraping the barrel in fairness. There's been plenty of players who were going to be the next thing but haven't broken through - Hoban, Forrester and Kearns for example.

There's no evidence the LoI is on the rise again; the report seems to argue quite strongly against. There's certainly no point pretending all is rosy; we've an ageing team with a national league with an appalling track record, even at its peak, for developing players.
    Kearns disapppinted a lot. Forrester might and should come good yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    But this is it. It's easy to get excited about a top LoI player leaving the league to go abroad. But more often than not, they don't make it at international level. The report actually predicts that Forrester won't get capped because he went over at too low a level. Now, he might still get capped of course, but then the chances are it'll be for a team that won't be good enough to qualify for tournaments.

I think it's interesting that the 8 ex-LoI players in the Euro 2016 squad came from 7 different clubs. Most were largely pro at one stage or another. Now it's just Cork and Dundalk sending players over for the most part. We need full-time teams here to develop players, and we don't have them.

There's always exceptions of course. Which is why it's important to get away from big news items like Maguire and look at the data overall. Which the report does

25. Thanks From:

Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast