Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: manager vacancy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Paul Jewells record actually isn't as awful as people make out.

It's painfully mediocre but it's not completely awful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Paul Jewells record actually isn't as awful as people make out.

It's painfully mediocre but it's not completely awful.
    He'll have the Johnny Giles "Jewell for Ireland" seal of approval anyway
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    If he's ever talking to John Giles about Irish football he'll never even holiday here. Bitter man.

Quote Originally Posted by John Giles reminiscing about his time at Shamrock Rovers
    I mean I had the best of intentions, I was trying to build a project at Shamrock Rovers, a proper big cluub like those ones they have over in England. So I came over, tried to make Rovers huge, you know to benefit Irish soccer. And what did the rest of the clubs do? They refused to roll over and let me win. And me with my good intentions. The carry on of those clubs down the country. Beating my Shamrock Rovers side. With all the good intentions I had. It was a disgrace. Irish football is a disgrace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    There was a lot of talk around aswell that Gary Megson was in the running these names are mental surely wouldnt be interested in Limerick job.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    There was a lot of talk around aswell that Gary Megson was in the running these names are mental surely wouldnt be interested in Limerick job.
    Seems like any out of work manager in England is being linked with it.

If nothing else at least the club are getting publicity out of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    Seems like any out of work manager in England is being linked with it.

If nothing else at least the club are getting publicity out of it.
    No harm in it at all really. I cant wait til it is done now so we can start signing players thats the fun part of off season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    No harm in it at all really. I cant wait til it is done now so we can start signing players thats the fun part of off season.
    Ya exactly, especially with most clubs tying down all their best players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    ive seen a few talented amateurs playing in limerick league that could easily play 45 mins or so in the premier for limerick with their current fitness levels and what about the managers of the limerick league premier division? Pike are not the best and currently the most sucessful amateur team in Ireland by accident.... would be a low cost choice for O Sullivan I believe... any thoughts on why all the positions, players and staff, should not be local and capable of holding their own? I think we underestimate the resourses on our doorstep. its all about heart and fighting for the cause. i cant name anybody playing with bray who would walk on to one of our top local teams, and they managed to stay in the premier.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lawman View Post
    ive seen a few talented amateurs playing in limerick league that could easily play 45 mins or so in the premier for limerick with their current fitness levels and what about the managers of the limerick league premier division? Pike are not the best and currently the most sucessful amateur team in Ireland by accident.... would be a low cost choice for O Sullivan I believe... any thoughts on why all the positions, players and staff, should not be local and capable of holding their own? I think we underestimate the resourses on our doorstep. its all about heart and fighting for the cause. i cant name anybody playing with bray who would walk on to one of our top local teams, and they managed to stay in the premier.
    Considine is nowhere near good enough to manage at that level. He would be a really good coach to have on the staff however. He is an extremely competent coach but he doesn't have the ability to manage at that level yet. He would need a few years learning under more experienced coaches/managers before being able to step up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    He hasn't a PRO Licence lads.

Could be in with a shout as assistant though.

But then would he leave Pike to assist at Limerick??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    and your opinion on some of our local players? And on Considine, on the few occasions that Ive been close to him during a game, i noticed that there is no mad shouting and roaring so im guessing that the players are doing exactly as he has asked them so surely hes respected by them? and all the plans are laid out clearly at training and in the dressing room pre match and at half time... sounds like a decent stragety to me as roaring at players during the game is senseless.. they shouldnt even know that youre there
    Gold is for winners......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    thought about that too... which pays more ? does he have a full time job? does he need an income? ive only ever spoken to him once and that was to say "well done"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    In fairness Kieran Marty Waters is one of the best young talents in the LOI and he is with bray, not to mention McSweeney who went from bray to reading.Jasom
    Byrne also with Bray and is one of the LOI's greatest goalscorers.

There is a big jump from junior to LOI first division and an even bigger jump to premier. That's not to say there isn't players good enough to play premier. There is plenty of players in junior if they were training at LOI premier standard would be up to it fitness wise. What has been found down the years is a lot don't want to do the training and travel for their own reasons.

There is also definitely a place for a local in the coaching staff but I don't think a local should get the managers job just because he is from limerick.

I saw Paul O Donnell mention recently how massive the difference is in every aspect i.e training, commitment, travel, tactics, pressure etc... And he has seen both sides of it. He also said he couldn't think of anyone who at the moment could take over a loi premier team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    point taken with those Bray players mentioned, although Jason Byrne has an alegience to Devlin now in his latter years. my point about local players refered to just 45 minutes at full effort and then substituted.. i know that Pat Dolan has used that system in the past.. But i dont know if he chose that or if he was pressurised into it by his bosses or circumstances. I do knoew that he thought it was a viable opton especially if the minimum budget was paramount

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    point taken with those Bray players mentioned, although Jason Byrne has an alegience to Devlin now in his latter years. my point about local players refered to just 45 minutes at full effort and then substituted.. i know that Pat Dolan has used that system in the past.. But i dont know if he chose that or if he was pressurised into it by his bosses or circumstances. I do knoew that he thought it was a viable opton especially if the minimum budget was paramount
    Personally I feel if any junior player wants to make the step up to LOI Premier then he needs to fully commit to getting fit for it and not just 45 minutes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    agreed.. but if these guys who play every sunday morning were approached to fight for the cause, and never thought about football as a job, COULD they step up for 45 minutes in the intrem and do a job? i saw a youth/u18 player of Moyross recently that would kick his mother/knock a wall for his team.. with a little coaching and guidance he could emulate Roy Keane.. lovely first touch and great foresight. not just kick and rush. saw a few decent workhorses with Balla on Sunday too, ( game i was going to wAS OFF,) not saying they are that level but havent seen them too often and on a poor pitch they ripped their 10 man opponents apart. left after half time but heard it was seven and cold have been 20 nil.
    Last edited by lawman; 03/12/2012 at 9:31 PM. Reason: more info

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I think you over-estimate the level of Junior football and under-estimate the standard of League of Ireland football lawman.

Quite alike half the country in fact.

If Pike (as you so soundly suggested have a team far above half the Bray squad) were so good, why haven't they reached the dizzying heights of a cup run in the FAI cup at minimum?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I think you over-estimate the level of Junior football and under-estimate the standard of League of Ireland football lawman.

Quite alike half the country in fact.

If Pike (as you so soundly suggested have a team far above half the Bray squad) were so good, why haven't they reached the dizzying heights of a cup run in the FAI cup at minimum?
    Cant answer that truthfully. but have you ever seen a local derby in Limerick? Better contest than Lims v Harps/athlone/waterford etc... Blood and guts... my point being that owner of the limerick club could save a lot of dosh by "shopping local" and still survive/be in with a shout on any given Friday night (hopefully, as Saturdays mean home games only for me and no booze as up early for kids sports every Sunday). any regulars at Lims games care to disagree with me or do I just remember the game as when I played myself retaliate first

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Cant answer that truthfully. but have you ever seen a local derby in Limerick? Better contest than Lims v Harps/athlone/waterford etc... Blood and guts... my point being that owner of the limerick club could save a lot of dosh by "shopping local" and still survive/be in with a shout on any given Friday night (hopefully, as Saturdays mean home games only for me and no booze as up early for kids sports every Sunday). any regulars at Lims games care to disagree with me or do I just remember the game as when I played myself retaliate first
    There is a huge difference though between Athlone/Harps/Waterford and Shamrock Rovers/Sligo Rovers/St.Pats.

Limerick have had in the past squads with players who will bust there balls from start to finish but in the end it's not enough at the highest level. One year pretty much the whole team was local lads that put 100% in every game but ultimately weren't up to competing against the better teams. You need that bit of quality also.

The likes of Sligo would rip you apart at an given chance. Results against Junior Teams and poorer LOI teams shows this i.e Mervue 0-7 Derry, Waterford 9-0 Tralee Dynamos, Shamrock Rovers 8-1 Waterford Utd.

On any given day a team can put it up to one of the big teams but over a season not a hope.

Limerick have an under 19's with local young lads in there. They are the future and they are who the club will be looking to bring through to the senior squad. Lads that are already in the environment of top level competitiveness at their age. Barry Sheedy, Kieran O Hanlon, Michael Guerin are just some of the lads from Limerick with great potential to progress to top level football if they so choose. Finally those kinds of players will have that outlet.
    Last edited by Jofspring; 03/12/2012 at 10:18 PM.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Honestly I haven't seen the Limerick league and I'm sure it's of a good standard from all reports. But I've both played and watched my fair share of local football, and it comes nowhere near the standard of League of Ireland. The Ulster senior league has seen it's fair share of their top players not cut the mustard at the likes of Harps.

And as Jofspring has stated, there's an even bigger gulf between League of Ireland First division and Premier League.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast