Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: manager vacancy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Honestly I haven't seen the Limerick league and I'm sure it's of a good standard from all reports. But I've both played and watched my fair share of local football, and it comes nowhere near the standard of League of Ireland. The Ulster senior league has seen it's fair share of their top players not cut the mustard at the likes of Harps.

And as Jofspring has stated, there's an even bigger gulf between League of Ireland First division and Premier League.
    you suppose im wasting my money buying a season ticket so ?
    maybe its cheaper to subscribe to Setanta? I'm serious
    Gold is for winners......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    You are really overestimating Limerick junior apart from Pike there isnt any other team in the league that would even come close to lasting with an LOI team.

Player wise there is probably 3 or 4 good enough and that is it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    good night lads.. food for thought during my 40 winks.. u learn something new every day.. wish i was 30 years younger with the knowledge i have now. would have earned a lot more in my playing days without all the operations.. say la vie... excuse my spelling

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lawman View Post
    ive seen a few talented amateurs playing in limerick league that could easily play 45 mins or so in the premier for limerick with their current fitness levels and what about the managers of the limerick league premier division? Pike are not the best and currently the most sucessful amateur team in Ireland by accident.... would be a low cost choice for O Sullivan I believe... any thoughts on why all the positions, players and staff, should not be local and capable of holding their own? I think we underestimate the resourses on our doorstep. its all about heart and fighting for the cause. i cant name anybody playing with bray who would walk on to one of our top local teams, and they managed to stay in the premier.
    I'd take Wayne Colbert as a squad member and that's it from the junior league!
    In terms of coach and staff, weren't the goalkeeping coach and sports scientist both from limerick? In terms of managers who qualify for it, then Mike Kerley is all that springs to mind, any others? With Connie or Tommy Barratt as an assistant. Now, I don't know any of them personally, but can't imagine that would inspire the most confidence in supporters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpin4 View Post
    Except, haven't half the back room team walked already with Scully?
    Who were that back room team exactly? Dempsey parted ways in November but the rest were they just team support etc provided by the club and will be there anyway next season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    we tried signing players form the local leagues a couple of seasons ago. Many of the players have the ability but they have no interest in putting in the effort required. They can get a few quid to play for their local team and still go for a pint or two at the weekend.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gael353 View Post
    Who were that back room team exactly? Dempsey parted ways in November but the rest were they just team support etc provided by the club and will be there anyway next season?
    Mick Sheils is gone too, if I'm not mistaken? So what's left going by the website is, the goalkeeping coach, performance coach, sports scientist, and then the kitmen, doctor and Physio.
    I'd have liked to have kept Sheils on, even if for only a familiar face from last year. He's been there for about 6 years so must be in some way decent.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    I'd have liked to have kept Sheils on, even if for only a familiar face from last year. He's been there for about 6 years so must be in some way decent.
    I don't think he'd be missed by many to be honest.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I'd take Wayne Colbert as a squad member and that's it from the junior league!
    In terms of coach and staff, weren't the goalkeeping coach and sports scientist both from limerick? In terms of managers who qualify for it, then Mike Kerley is all that springs to mind, any others? With Connie or Tommy Barratt as an assistant. Now, I don't know any of them personally, but can't imagine that would inspire the most confidence in supporters.

I would be more concerned about inspiring confidence in the players. Every manager was an unknown or an unproven at some point in time.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    For me the ideal situation would be an experienced LOI manager or higher with Connie as his assistant coach if he was interested. I think Connie could do a very good job with some of the local lads as he has a great knowledge of who the best around town are and has done brilliant with Pike.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    For me the ideal situation would be an experienced LOI manager or higher with Connie as his assistant coach if he was interested. I think Connie could do a very good job with some of the local lads as he has a great knowledge of who the best around town are and has done brilliant with Pike.

Agree 100%. And I'm led to believe that Connie speaks by telephone with numerous Loi managers regulary. Suggests that they trust his knowledge of the game or of the player pool in Limerick.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Agree 100%. And I'm led to believe that Connie speaks by telephone with numerous Loi managers regulary. Suggests that they trust his knowledge of the game or of the player pool in Limerick.
    He has great experience and he has played league of Ireland, he would be ideal to recruit local talent, he would be a loss too pike.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Minesapint View Post
    He has great experience and he has played league of Ireland, he would be ideal to recruit local talent, he would be a loss too pike.
    Not for me. The 19s are there to recruit local talent. A lot of the junior players around town have tried their hand and not made it for whatever reasons. Connie shouldn't be brought in in the hope he can take back all the old players so they can try prove themselves again. The next batch of players should be coming through the 19s, with a few experienced players brought in to help them progress.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Not for me. The 19s are there to recruit local talent. A lot of the junior players around town have tried their hand and not made it for whatever reasons. Connie shouldn't be brought in in the hope he can take back all the old players so they can try prove themselves again. The next batch of players should be coming through the 19s, with a few experienced players brought in to help them progress.
    I don't see why that would be the case if he came in. I doubt he would be asked to help sign up a load of players that tried the LOI before. Surely it would just help him progress as a manager and he has a good knowledge of the local scene which will benefit the new manager and club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    I don't see why that would be the case if he came in. I doubt he would be asked to help sign up a load of players that tried the LOI before. Surely it would just help him progress as a manager and he has a good knowledge of the local scene which will benefit the new manager and club.
    Correct. And very small chance that u19 players would be even physical enough to play anywhere near that level. Experienced Loi players could seriously injure a young player without even conceding a free kick. Have seen it on dozens of occasions. Jason kabai ex Cobh ramblers etc could kick a player who was chasing him and nobody would understand why his opponent fell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Imo there are two players in the Limerick leagues good enough for LOI premier and that is Wayne Colbert and Yellow Lyons, there is another 3 or 4 good enough for a good 1st division team and that is it.

There already 3 or 4 young ads in the first team handing the physical side fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Imo there are two players in the Limerick leagues good enough for LOI premier and that is Wayne Colbert and Yellow Lyons, there is another 3 or 4 good enough for a good 1st division team and that is it.

There already 3 or 4 young ads in the first team handing the physical side fine.

Yellow lyons doesn't have that name for no reason. Saw him sent off for a horrible tackle on Shaun Kell at end of last season. His type are known as liabilities. That equates to 11 v 10 more often then not. Physical means more than body mass. It means knowing how to use it and utilise it and that comes with life experience which an u19 couldn't possibly have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Yellow lyons doesn't have that name for no reason. Saw him sent off for a horrible tackle on Shaun Kell at end of last season. His type are known as liabilities. That equates to 11 v 10 more often then not. Physical means more than body mass. It means knowing how to use it and utilise it and that comes with life experience which an u19 couldn't possibly have.
    IMO yellow lyons and wayne colbert would have filled the role that Pat Scully tried and failed to fill for nearly 3 years of his four year term that of a defensive midfielder who could play football. He tried, Brian O'Callaghan there ffs as well as Peter White who was a flop for us but was a success in that position down in Waterford. Dave Donnan was also a good defensive midfielder who was playing with our under 20s when one of the assistants to the senior team got it into his head that he was 24 and said he was too old for the first team
    The hint of him playing under 20s was surely a signal to what his real age could be.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Except the fact that wasn't the case when he was at Limerick. He wasn't sent off that many times at all and he hasn't been sent off an excessive number of times with Janesboro as far as i know.

What is your point about u19s even? James McGrath, Dave O'Leary, Steven McGann, Garbhan Coughlan and Cian Collins are young lads that have played senior team at the same time as being underage for the 19s and have been fine in every way. so the point " very small chance that u19 players would be even physical enough to play anywhere near that level", doesn't really stand up. Two or Three of them are still young enough to play for the 19s.
    Last edited by bluewhitearmy; 05/12/2012 at 1:13 AM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Is Yellow Lions not a rugby team in South Africa? Seems like playing in the Limerick district league would be a bit of a step down.

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast