Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You're all mad - RE: Premier talk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts

You're all mad - RE: Premier talk.

Forums been reading like a big joke waiting to backfire on us for the last few days.

Picture this highly likely scenario:

Waterford beat Harps and Mervue.

We beat Athlone then drop points in Longford.

Meaning -

We are at home to Wexford in a massive game on the last day needing a win to guarantee the title.

Still fancy it?!?!

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    No, I wouldn't, and as I have been consistent about on the other thread as well to be fair, its a failing that's still very much alive and well.

However, I have a feeling about Waterford's trip to Harps. Don't know why.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I really do think Harps will get something off Waterford with the form they are in, but if Waterford get the three points there and we draw/lose to Longford...no, I wouldn't fancy it.

There are a few people on here congratulating Scully for promotion alright, but I suppose its easy to jump the gun after 18 years of waiting.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Agreed, a lot of people seem to think it is wrapped up. If we drop any points on Friday and Waterford win then we are under massive pressure the last two games. Waterford are 4 points behind and have nothing to lose at this stage. A lot seem to forget that Cork pipped Shels right on the last day despite shels leading the division for pretty much the whole season last year.

C'MON HARPS!!!!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Just as long we get Longford in the playoff if we do throw it away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Guys we will get promoted cant understand why people are nervous, Waterford will drop more points and we will win the remainder of matches i cant see with the games we have left where we will drop points and the teams that have nothing to play for will be trying out younger players.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    I would think its the fact limerick are nearly 20 years in the first division with many false dawns that naturally has most nervous or at least cautious about getting too excited or a head of ourselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Minesapint View Post
    Guys we will get promoted cant understand why people are nervous, Waterford will drop more points and we will win the remainder of matches i cant see with the games we have left where we will drop points and the teams that have nothing to play for will be trying out younger players.
    Ya never mind the fact we are playing Longford there who have taken points off us twice out of 3 games this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    People are expecting too much of Finn Harps aswell I think.

Their ten game unbeaten run, while excellent given the context of where they came from is more than a little misleading.

Among the results of merit (win away to Longford, draw at home to ourselves, draw away to a Sean Maguireless Waterford) have been draws with Athlone, Mervue and Wexford twice.

To put the unbeaten run in some context over the ten games they've picked up 18 points.

We've picked up 20.

Waterford have picked up 23.

These Harps boys, while improved, are no great shakes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    People are expecting too much of Finn Harps aswell I think.

Their ten game unbeaten run, while excellent given the context of where they came from is more than a little misleading.

Among the results of merit (win away to Longford, draw at home to ourselves, draw away to a Sean Maguireless Waterford) have been draws with Athlone, Mervue and Wexford twice.

To put the unbeaten run in some context over the ten games they've picked up 18 points.

We've picked up 20.

Waterford have picked up 23.

These Harps boys, while improved, are no great shakes.
    Im more hoping Waterdord will bottle it and draw being honest probably wont happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    And how much of Harps have you seen exactly during that run LTID?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    And how much of Harps have you seen exactly during that run LTID?
    I saw the Limerick game.

I said you were no great shakes based on

draws with Athlone, Mervue and Wexford twice.
    Suppose you could have been robbed in all four games.

Waterford should still be beating ye though, that's all I'm saying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    In theory Waterford should be beating us. But in theory so should have Limerick and Longford.

Athlone away was at the very start of the run, just getting used to the new system. By all accounts, that draw wasn't a bad result.

Mervue, we were awful. Awful performance, but still got a draw. This was also recently enough, where Mervue have been getting results.

Wexford have been a bogey team as such for us this year. I wasn't down in Ferrycarraig, but by all accounts, we could have beaten them by 4 or 5.

We're a much improved team, not saying we're world beaters, but right now, we're in great form, and I'm in no doubt whatsoever, if Peter Hutton and Sean McGowan been in charge all season, we wouldn't be this far behind, and I do believe pushing for promotion along with yourselves, Waterford and Longford.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Another draw would be fine i dont care if Hards dont get a single attack as long as they stop Maguire.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    That's the only thing I'm slightly worried about too is young Maguire. I'd imagine he'll be tightly marked though between Cowan and even Wizzy dropping from midfield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    That's the only thing I'm slightly worried about too is young Maguire. I'd imagine he'll be tightly marked though between Cowan and even Wizzy dropping from midfield.

Just kick him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I might just get thrown out of the ground though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I really do think Harps will get something off Waterford with the form they are in, but if Waterford get the three points there and we draw/lose to Longford...no, I wouldn't fancy it.
    Waterford are the form team at the moment. Here's the form table from soccerway.com:
    Code:
    Team             MP    W    D    L    GF    GA    GD    Pts
    Waterford Utd    6     4    1    1     9     4      5   13
    Finn Harps       6     3    3    0     9     4      5   12
    Limerick FC      6     3    2    1     9     3      6   11
    Wexford Youths   6     3    1    2    12     9      3   10
    Longford Town    6     2    2    2     7     6      1    8
    Mervue United    6     2    1    3     6     9     -3    7
    SD Galway        6     1    0    5     4     9     -5    3
    Athlone Town     6     0    2    4     1    12    -11    2
    That's just the last six matches, btw.
    All that can really be gleaned from that table is that the Harps-Waterford game will be a tough one. But from what I've seen of both teams (all our matches against each) Waterford should win the game, but it won't be easy. Much like we should have beaten Harps: we played better than them, but failed to put them away (a failure of our strikers on the day, as we created enough opportunities).

Now, that table also suggests that we should be hammering Athlone. And we should. But we must be ruthless, which is a quality we have rarely shown this season. Athlone have been a tough enough team to actually beat. But if we can get into them early and keep at them, their defence should crack before half time (then, of course, we have to do the same again in the second half).
    If we take it for granted that we will get the win, then we might not! The players seem to have a habit of relaxing too early in the match and allowing the opposition to walk through midfield and start playing themselves back into matches we should be killing off. We were better at closing out games last season, but we seem more complacent in the same situation this season, which has led to some nervy situations (and the draw at Ballybofey).

We need to realise that every match should be, and is going to be, tough. We need to go out and actually win each match -- we can't expect any result to be handed to us on a plate. Hopefully last friday's match will be a lesson in that regard.

Wexford are in pretty good form recently, but Longford are bound to be a little worried about their form. So there's a definite opportunity there. I would be very disappointed with anything less than a draw from that match.

Mention of Longford reminds me of something we should be keeping a close eye on at this crucial part of the season: suspensions (both our own and others).
    Fight the good fight!

(Now with my very own account on foot.ie - How cool am I? - 15/02/07)

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    so the two form teams (harps and waterford) are meeting this weekend? should be a good game. Limerick are meeting the team with the worst form at the moment and Scully is on the paper asking for the team to stay focused. Athlone to take a point lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redron View Post
    Now, that table also suggests that we should be hammering Athlone. And we should. But we must be ruthless, which is a quality we have rarely shown this season. Athlone have been a tough enough team to actually beat. But if we can get into them early and keep at them, their defence should crack before half time (then, of course, we have to do the same again in the second half).
    If we take it for granted that we will get the win, then we might not! The players seem to have a habit of relaxing too early in the match and allowing the opposition to walk through midfield and start playing themselves back into matches we should be killing off. We were better at closing out games last season, but we seem more complacent in the same situation this season, which has led to some nervy situations (and the draw at Ballybofey).

We need to realise that every match should be, and is going to be, tough. We need to go out and actually win each match -- we can't expect any result to be handed to us on a plate. Hopefully last friday's match will be a lesson in that regard.
    Quote Originally Posted by gael353 View Post
    so the two form teams (harps and waterford) are meeting this weekend? should be a good game. Limerick are meeting the team with the worst form at the moment and Scully is on the paper asking for the team to stay focused. Athlone to take a point lol
    Well, Scully seems to be saying the correct thing then. You can't beat a poor team by simply turning up!
    I think the level of complacency against the poor teams has been striking at times this season.
    And I think people around the players telling them that they are so superior to the rest of the division doesn't help them to keep their minds on the task in hand. The players need to be focused on beating Athlone and the tasks they all need to carry out to achieve that (i.e. creating as many genuine goalscoring opportunities as possible and actually trying to score a few). There's no point in dreaming about the match against Longford before the Athlone match has been won!

I don't know if our big goal difference has contributed to the complacency, as really we only have to win games by one goal. But obviously that would be a poor attitude to adopt.
    Fight the good fight!

(Now with my very own account on foot.ie - How cool am I? - 15/02/07)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast