Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Waterford *4

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    No kingpin there was no injuries tonight. Bradley, Judge, Cian Collins, O Brien and even O'Leary all can play on the wing.
    Not what I overheard last night from 2 of the players...
    Bradley was struggling with a thigh injury he's had for a few weeks
    O'Brien is too much of a risk to start if you have to take him off after 20 mins
    Cian is a striker who hasn't played since coming back from injury.
    O'Leary is just back from injury
    And Judge has done well in the middle so why would you move him?

Some people want the team to lose because they just want to see the back of Scully. If we went unbeaten for the whole season, the players would get all the credit... So with some of their poor performances this season, they should take the flak as well. Just because your "friends" with them on Facebook or something, it doesn't mean they should be excused in any way. Scully can't play the game for them. And if you're telling me that our players stick 100% to the tactics they are given and don't think for themselves, then that's a pretty poor representation of themselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpin4 View Post
    O'Brien is too much of a risk to start if you have to take him off after 20 mins

Some people want the team to lose because they just want to see the back of Scully. If we went unbeaten for the whole season, the players would get all the credit... So with some of their poor performances this season, they should take the flak as well. Just because your "friends" with them on Facebook or something, it doesn't mean they should be excused in any way. Scully can't play the game for them. And if you're telling me that our players stick 100% to the tactics they are given and don't think for themselves, then that's a pretty poor representation of themselves.

No he wasnt he is 100% fit.
    O Brien is a risk worth taking if it means its not a centre back out there.
    Cian not playing since he came back is a managerial choice so what is your point?
    O'Leary is fully fit too thats is why he is back.
    Jusge done well? In what games? Not any ive seen anyway Bradley is a much better player in the middle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Some people want the team to lose because they just want to see the back of Scully.

yes its the players fault for losing all the big games for the last four seasons. James McGrath, Gary Sheehan, Rory Gaffney, Sean Kelly, Cory Tracy, Stephen Bradley, Garbhan Coughlan, Paudie Quinn, Sean Brosnan and now Robert Klucier have all played on the right wing for us this season in the league which is so poor that a team with the players such as limeick have (and they have 31 btw) no manager should be required to win it

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    What's happened to Paudie Quinn? I thought he looked a great little link player for ye last season. Has he lost form or is he a victim of the system - favouring knocking it up to big strikers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gael353 View Post
    yes its the players fault for losing all the big games for the last four seasons. James McGrath, Gary Sheehan, Rory Gaffney, Sean Kelly, Cory Tracy, Stephen Bradley, Garbhan Coughlan, Paudie Quinn, Sean Brosnan and now Robert Klucier have all played on the right wing for us this season in the league which is so poor that a team with the players such as limeick have (and they have 31 btw) no manager should be required to win it

Ah James McGrath whos reward for a great start to his senior career was to be dropped.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts

Some people want the team to lose because they just want to see the back of Scully.
    No one wants the team to lose. The manager has its faults and it is perfectly reasonable to call him on those faults after so many years of consistently poor performances in big games. If Limerick were 100% unbeaten the players and the manager would be getting praise, but they aren't. I've praised and defended them when they deserve it and the other way round too. But its undeniable that the general play this year has been less than what this team is capable.

Sure, the players have their part. Many of them look dispirited and unmotivated, like they don't seem to grasp the position they are in. Many have been disappointing in their general form this season.

But Scully is the manager. He is supposed to motivate, come up with effective tactics, have a training regime that improves players over time, competently pick a starting line up. He's in charge, or is supposed to be. There were better options than Kluciar to put on the right wing, but he went ahead and put him there. A center back on the right wing. And that's just one example of some his poor decision making.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts

The players definitely have to take some of the blame, especially for tuning out for waterfords goal, but when you step onto the field knowing some decisions made before hand are going to have a negative affect it usual materialises on the pitch.

Any time this season the team has started to look settled in a few games it has been switched around. Corie dropped for klucair for no reason, Brosnan and McGrath Dropped down in Waterford for no reason. Corie played right wing, klucair played right wing. Even last night the first sub had to be klucair off and either Bradley or O'Leary on but no the first thing he does is take off Brosnan. I'd move Judge out to the right because he has played that position a good few times and you had two excellent replacements on the bench. All came to all he could have brought o brien on for klucair and pushed brosnan onto the right wing. o'Leary has been our best midfielder all season and should have come on. He has been left out the last few so as not to rush him back but at some stage he had to come in, why not last night?

At the start of the season fans were crying out for certain changes to be made which Scully did and got the plaudits for it as it improved us immensely. He also has to take the criticism. I really don't understand how a record of 4 points out of a possible 21 against Waterford and Longford can be defended. We have beaten some of the weaker teams by the skin of our teeth. If that luck runs out against one of the weaker teams we are looking at a play off.

If this was scullys first season I would say fair enough we are being harsh but 3 and a half years later and the team has not improved at all football wise, the same mistakes made year after year. The fact we are top is just an indication of how poor this division is this year and that's no disrespects to Longford and Waterford cause even they will tell you their managers have been making some stupid decisions this year, decisions which have helped get us off the hook on many occasions.

I'm dreading the run in to be honest. If Waterford and Longford keep up the pace before we go up to Flancare the second last game of the season I think we will be under enormous, needless pressure. Waterford have great incentive now to really kick on for the remaining 5 games with nothing really to lose. We on the other hand can't afford a single mistake for the last 5 or we will be caught.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    The players definitely have to take some of the blame, especially for tuning out for waterfords goal, but when you step onto the field knowing some decisions made before hand are going to have a negative affect it usual materialises on the pitch.

Any time this season the team has started to look settled in a few games it has been switched around. Corie dropped for klucair for no reason, Brosnan and McGrath Dropped down in Waterford for no reason. Corie played right wing, klucair played right wing. Even last night the first sub had to be klucair off and either Bradley or O'Leary on but no the first thing he does is take off Brosnan. I'd move Judge out to the right because he has played that position a good few times and you had two excellent replacements on the bench. All came to all he could have brought o brien on for klucair and pushed brosnan onto the right wing. o'Leary has been our best midfielder all season and should have come on. He has been left out the last few so as not to rush him back but at some stage he had to come in, why not last night?

At the start of the season fans were crying out for certain changes to be made which Scully did and got the plaudits for it as it improved us immensely. He also has to take the criticism. I really don't understand how a record of 4 points out of a possible 21 against Waterford and Longford can be defended. We have beaten some of the weaker teams by the skin of our teeth. If that luck runs out against one of the weaker teams we are looking at a play off.

If this was scullys first season I would say fair enough we are being harsh but 3 and a half years later and the team has not improved at all football wise, the same mistakes made year after year. The fact we are top is just an indication of how poor this division is this year and that's no disrespects to Longford and Waterford cause even they will tell you their managers have been making some stupid decisions this year, decisions which have helped get us off the hook on many occasions.

I'm dreading the run in to be honest. If Waterford and Longford keep up the pace before we go up to Flancare the second last game of the season I think we will be under enormous, needless pressure. Waterford have great incentive now to really kick on for the remaining 5 games with nothing really to lose. We on the other hand can't afford a single mistake for the last 5 or we will be caught.
    I would say your post is accurate but i still think we will win the league, longford and waterford are not consistent enough to win the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Minesapint View Post
    I would say your post is accurate but i still think we will win the league, longford and waterford are not consistent enough to win the league.
    Just out of interest since you seem to like Scully in your opinion would we be better off with a new man in charge if we were to get up? If not would you trust Scully not to panic against the likes of Sligo,Rovers,Cork and the other big teams given his record in big games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Just out of interest since you seem to like Scully in your opinion would we be better off with a new man in charge if we were to get up? If not would you trust Scully not to panic against the likes of Sligo,Rovers,Cork and the other big teams given his record in big games?
    Sligo and Rovers wouldn't be big games if we were in the Prem, though.

Cork, Shels, Bohs, Dundalk would be. Which is worrying, because in the debut season we'd almost accept poor results against the top teams, but with Scully we'd bottle it against the middle-to-lower teams, too.

I myself liked Scully for quite a while but when you cycle through so many players and systems and two different owners only to retain the exact same on-field issues you can only blame the constant throughout it all.

And I'm not talking about Dave Ryan or Pat Purcell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    FAI CUP Waterford 0 Mervue 4. Just shows how bad we were last weekend

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Yeah, Waterford weren't that great on Friday, a lot of the same faults as Limerick - aimless long balls, not great passing accuracy etc. Limerick were several levels worse though. Ultimately they value a distraction free First Division run-in over a cup-run likely to end in the following game.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    No he wasnt he is 100% fit.
    O Brien is a risk worth taking if it means its not a centre back out there.
    Cian not playing since he came back is a managerial choice so what is your point?
    O'Leary is fully fit too thats is why he is back.
    Jusge done well? In what games? Not any ive seen anyway Bradley is a much better player in the middle.
    you'd want to check your sources... I'd be surprised if he makes the game this Friday. If you say he told you on facebook or twitter or something, then he (and any other players who tell fans information) either was taking the **** or was saying what you wanted to hear.
    I've heard he's been struggling with it for the last few weeks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    you'd want to check your sources... I'd be surprised if he makes the game this Friday. If you say he told you on facebook or twitter or something, then he (and any other players who tell fans information) either was taking the **** or was saying what you wanted to hear.
    I've heard he's been struggling with it for the last few weeks

Who are you talking about there because i personally know one of the players since before he was ever with us so id say he would know more about his fitness then you or some other players that you overheard or were talking to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Ultimately they value a distraction free First Division run-in over a cup-run likely to end in the following game.
    If that was the case they would have rested all their players.

Some of their fans are furious (and rightly so)

The difference was Sean Maguire wasn't available to them.

And Waterford playing without Sean Maguire is the equivalent of another team playing without their goalkeeper.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123