Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Paddy Madden

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    He does a bit alright. A nice guy, but needs to get out more and find a girlfriend for regular stuff that Crosby was referring to. He will be a little less agitated then, unless he ends up with what Crosby had.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    I'll resign my commission if necessary.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,097 Posts
    Spotted the name of NI's Will Grigg mentioned as being linked with Aston Villa today. That reflects positively on our Paddy, given his similar record in less games this season. Yeovil are highly likely to cash in. It should prove interesting to see whether Madden can attract interest of that ilk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,637 Posts
    Another goal for the Bohs flop...

This one it seems from outside the 6 yard box.

Goal - Paddy Madden - Yeovil 2 - 1 Shrewsbury
    Paddy Madden gets on the score sheet with a goal from outside the box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Yeovil 2-1 Shrewsbury.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    782 Posts
    Npower League One Top Scorers

Name Team TOTAL

Madden Yeovil 23
    Clarke Coventry 19
    Grigg Walsall 18
    Donaldson Brentford 17
    McGoldrick Coventry 16
    Pitman Bournemouth 16
    Lisbie Leyton Orient 15
    Baxter Oldham 13
    Collins Swindon 13
    Grabban Bournemouth 13
    Baker Coventry 12
    Hayter Yeovil 12
    Paterson Walsall 12
    Pogba Crewe 12
    Ritchie Bournemouth 12
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    You'd assume McGoldrick would have been top scorer had he not returned to Forest, but it's still a massive achievement from him. Especially, as Olé Olé pointed out, Grigg is being touted around big clubs. Good to see James Collins up there too.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Yeah but your side had, what, 12-15 league winners in it? That Rovers side had 2 or 3 who had won the league in the past. You had one very inexperienced player in front of goal that year but they were surrounded by players who had done it multiple times. There aren't many players in world football who have instantly stepped up and won titles for their team aged 20 or whatever. You have to expect players that young to make mistakes and you should have expected Jason Byrne to pick up the slack.
    Byrne was injured most of that season yet still got double figures including the winner against Shams which put us back in the title race. We didn't need Madden to win the title for us at 20 but we needed him to take some of the sitters that he missed. With all due respect, it's unlikely you saw most of those chances he missed so you're coming from a less informed position than me. The majority of Bohs fans that were there that season would say the same. That said, it wasn't his fault that Fenlon kept picking him, I'd have used him less while acknowledging he still had a part to play that season. He did score around 10 that year but regularly missed big chances in games where we dropped points.

I'm delighted to see him progress, long may it continue.
    Irish Football Blog - A False First XI - http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/

Twitter: @afalsefirstxi

To Follow on Facebook go to:https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,637 Posts
    One Bohs fan puts Maddens time with Bohs into sharp perspective. I think it shows up the revisionism that can sometimes get displayed when a former LOI player starts doin well across the water. Although I was in Canada at the time, Bohs were on the telly a lot then and I remember the wastefulness and this being how a lot of Bohs fans felt about him at the time. Anyway, just another perspective I thought some of you would find interesting.

It took you 3 days to come up with that? Also I don't see a denial or defence of Madden's absolutely astonishing wastefulness. Instead I see an 'others were to blame too' defence.

So, just so you might get it through your thick head, I will reiterate my position on the matter. For those who read my many posts and got my point of view (whether they agreed or disagreed) I'd suggest you give the rest a miss.

First off take 2009 out of it. The posts I made about him weren't during the 2009 season. If I had leveled criticism at him then I'd gladly respond to it. I didn't. The posts I made about his wastefulness were during the 2010 campaign. That he'd scored 4 goals out of the 62 we bagged the previous season when we won the league by 4 points is neither here nor there. He certainly wasn't the pivotal factor in that campaign. I wouldn't put him on the hook for 2010 on the basis of 4 bad games and I won't make him the messiah in 2009 for 4 goals.

Next thing. Again. As I said at the time. I don't/didn't care how old he is. How much he was getting paid or that there were older/higher paid players not doing well either. In a team that was professional I didn't care about the age or wage just end product. Like I said a million times I don't give a **** about him or his welfare. I care about Bohs. So take those factors out of the equation if you want to talk to me about this stuff.

Oh and before anyone goes 'he scored in Linfield'. I didn't rate the Setanta Cup then and I don't now. The year we won it there were 9 teams in the competition and 3 got thrown out. We won a 6 team tournament with no European bonus at the end of it. Big whoop. ****house competition. And don't even bring the hat trick against Ragball Rovers in the cup into it if you want to keep the conversation credible.

Now with all that out of the way that takes us on to what he produced in 2010.

2010 league season. Paddy Madden started 34 of 36 league games and appeared as a sub in 1 other. 35/36

He scored the 4th goal in injury time of a 4-2 away win against Drogheda in our third league game of the season. He didn't score again for another 13 games (91 days).

He then had a very good run and scored 8 in 6 games when we had quickfire fixtures against teams from the lower reaches of the league (I'll come back to this as I'm sure it's a bone of contention for some people). I didn't complain about that of course but while people were absolutely ****ing creaming themselves about him 'coming good' I maintained it was the exception and not the rule.

He then went 15 games (98 days) without scoring. When he did score again it was on the final day of the season. After missing 2 glaring chances to put us into a comfortable lead. On a night Rovers were getting held by Bray. On a night where a big win could have nabbed us the league. He fluffed his lines. Blew us the chance of early momentum and a lead and piling the pressure on the pigs. But, hey, at least he scored, right?

So what was my problem with him? He was playing in a team creating chances for him, not half chances but gift wrapped chances, week in-week out, and he couldn't stick them away. I've seen the argument on here that he was like any other striker 'some days it happened for him, some days it didn't'. I disagree. Most days it didn't happen for him despite having multiple clear cut chances in every game he played that season.

He played basically every week and had tonnes of chances to score. Yet he managed to go 3 months without scoring.
    Twice.
    In one season.

Jason Byrne was injured for half the season and playing injured for a quarter of the season. And he was still our top scorer with 12 ahead of Madden's 10. As for the claim 'he kept us in the title race with his goals' I say I don't agree. When the pressure came on down the stretch it was a half crippled Jason Byrne who bagged 5 goals in our last 7 games. There was no sign of Madden.

And back to who Madden got his goals against. They all count, absolutely. And a point is a point no matter who it's against. Yep I agree. Sure players have filled their boots against lower level teams but the genuinely good players always show up against the teams at the top of the table.

But for those who try to argue he was a good player for us I find it hard to accept that argument when our striker who played in 35 of 36 league games only scored 1 goal against a team that finished in the top half of the table.

The other 'argument' is that other players weren't great. Yep. That doesn't get him off the hook though. Over the course of the season plenty of players made mistakes. You can point to a missed clearance here that cost us a point. Or a shot that went wide that cost us another point. You can pick the bones out of anything. You can say Cretaro was bad. He was. You can say such and such was bad. They might have been. However they didn't play every week and miss a handful of glorious opportunities every week.

With Madden it was more clear cut. In a season when we lost the league by 2 goals on goal difference he played almost every game and had two of the most incredibly barren streaks of any striker for a top of the table team that I can ever remember. And he didn't have the excuse of not having the service provided for him. 13 games without a goal and 15 games without a goal. In a 36 game season. Playing every week and having chances laid on a plate every week.

So there you go. That was my problem with him then. He simply didn't get it done when he was playing week in-week out. If you want to argue that going 3 months without scoring twice in one season (while playing every week and having multiple chances every week) is fine then good luck to you.

You wanted to know where I had 'gone to' so there's your response.

If you have a hard on for him scoring for Yeovil good luck to you. I follow Bohs so it makes no odds to me. 100 goals for Barcelona won't change what happened that season for Bohemian F.C and that's all I ever gave a **** about.

That just about covers it. There's not a lot more I can say. Those are the facts on what he did for us in 2010. What he did/does once he's gone is of no consequence to me. It won't get us the 2010 league title we should have won no matter how many goals he scores anywhere else. If he comes back to Bohs some day and score a pile of goals and wins us a title I'll be the first to say Hallelujah and well done. Until he does something for us he's just another bloke playing in a foreign league for a team I don't care about.

You called me out. You got your answer.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    A player leaves Bohs, finds his shooting boots and starts to score goals by the lorry load
    There'a lesson in there.

10. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    One Bohs fan puts Maddens time with Bohs into sharp perspective. I think it shows up the revisionism that can sometimes get displayed when a former LOI player starts doin well across the water. Although I was in Canada at the time, Bohs were on the telly a lot then and I remember the wastefulness and this being how a lot of Bohs fans felt about him at the time. Anyway, just another perspective I thought some of you would find interesting.
    How many people outside of the Bohs boards are arguing that he wasn't wasteful though? I personally remember it as you do - I remember watching the critical Bohs-Dundalk game on Setanta (I think) and laughing as Madden fluffed his lines repeatedly. But it was also beyond obvious that he had the raw talent to do really, really well once he matured as a player. It shouldn't be too much of a surprise that Jason Byrne was the one who got the crucial goals that season - that's exactly what you'd expect of one of the league's classiest ever strikers. Madden was still a standout talent.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    782 Posts
    He played tonight for Yeovil in the first leg of the play off against Sheff Utd. Lively game but didn't actually contribute much against a mean Blades' defence. Good pace and I think he was often one step ahead of his Yeovil team mates. No attempt on goal from him worth the name (lost 1-0) and caught offside a few times but what good striker isn't. Commentators had some nice things to say about him.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Just set up what is likely to be the winning goal in the second leg. Former Shels player Kevin Dawson scored the first goal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Paddy is a former Shels player too ya hear.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    He's not quite completed his rehab yet, some old bad Bohs' habits still linger.

BBC report
    'Madden then had an even better chance when Luke Ayling's right-wing cross evaded everyone to leave the Irishman with the goal at his mercy at the far post, but he headed high and wide.'

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    He's not quite completed his rehab yet, some old bad Bohs' habits still linger.

BBC report
    'Madden then had an even better chance when Luke Ayling's right-wing cross evaded everyone to leave the Irishman with the goal at his mercy at the far post, but he headed high and wide.'
    Saw it earlier, totally fluffed it. Missed a couple of good chances, did alright overall though.
    Irish Football Blog - A False First XI - http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/

Twitter: @afalsefirstxi

To Follow on Facebook go to:https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    458 Posts
    Touching interview with him and Dawson http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22553240

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Paddy Madden scored early on for Yeovil in the league 1 play off final. Yeovil are now 2-0 up.
    The commentator was raving a bit about the goal, but I have not seen it myself, was hit with the outside of the foot apparently.
    With a bit of luck I will show it again during the half time interval.

Just see the goal although it was a bit hard to see him strike it.

It was almost like a toe poke from a standing position, the balls was kind of mid way between his feet and he kind of curled it into the top left corner with the outside of his right foot. He was perhaps standing in front of the goal maybe just inside the penalty area slightly to the left.
    Pretty classy finish really more champions league than league one. Messiesque i'd say!!
    Only seen it on a low res stream though.
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 19/05/2013 at 1:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Great finish. Showed great technique to get a shot away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    I've a friend from Carlisle, every goal Madden scores is like a dagger to his heart, apparently all their fans hate the manager for never giving Paddy a chance.

I can now wear my Yeovil jersey with pride

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He'll never make it in England

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast