Does anyone think we might be better off going forward without Robbie for this campaign?
"The nation holds it's breath...."
Just throwing it out there
"The nation holds it's breath...."
I'll chew my right arm off and post it for all your enjoyment if Wilson isn't fit to play.
You'll have to cut it up and post it to all of us.
Trapatonni sent a text to Keane and never received a reply. So we don't know if Keane has decided to retire or not.
From the RTE Sports site
In relation to Dunne. "I answered him and said after this friendly, after he has recovered from his injury, we would review the situation, but I've told him we need him, it's true. He will let us know.
"As for Robbie, I've also sent him a text, but he's not answered me. I've checked my mobile.
"I will speak with him before I announce my next squad (in around 10 days' time for the Kazakhstan game).
"He needs to tell me whether he wants to come back or what he wants to do.
Hopefully the mysterious Irish medical team allows him to play if he does turn up.
Never text you lost all your fingers in a milling machine, it looks highly suspicious.
On a lighter note here are some highlights of the match
Highlight is McCarthy winning the ball in midfield at about 2.45 it could be 20 years until we see that
happen again, seems like 20 years since the last time we won a ball in midfield anyway!!
I've always had a major soft spot for Doyle as I think he is a great finisher and wins everthing in the air, but I haven't seen very many good things out of him over the past calendar year either.
Keane was our top scorer at in the last qualifying campaigne with a total of 7 goals and delivered the goods for it when needed in those Games.
Despite the poor quality of the MLS - it was shown when he went on loan to Aston Villa that it had not affected his premiership goal scoring form as well as his international scoring form.
With regards to his poor performance at the euros, with the exception of Keith Andrews, can you tell me which which of the players for us didnt have a poor euros? Should we drop everyone if we are going to go on euro 2012 performances?
Keanes performance at the euros was equally in part to the tactics his manager deploys which in turn was badly found out once we went up against side who can play proper football as opposed to the tactics Trap had us playing.
If available I think its imperative that Robbie is in the squad , we need his experience and is goal scoring ability , once playing regulary for club , he shud in no way be dropped from the INTL squad
Last edited by back of the net; 18/08/2012 at 2:56 AM.
My Country is My Club.
Republic of Ireland Forever
Fair enough, you do make some good points. He just looked so darn stale in the Euros.
I'd like to try him in a 3 man midfield. Playing him upfront limits us to 4-4-2
1. He doesnt have the legs to chase down 4 defenders all day
2. He doesnt have the aerial ability to flick the ball on for on-rushing midfielders (if there allowed)
3. He cant hold up the ball long enough for support to arrive when played to feet
4. His constant flopping around and moaning is a disruptive influence on the rest of the team
We have players better suited to this formation...
Should it be a 442 I would consider him for the squad but defo not as a nailed on starter considering
1. Opposition hes playing against in the US (I personally dont agree with the time at villa comment above, granted he had a great game against wolves and scored a superb goal but outside of that he had a lot of poor games, problem was their lack of options instead of him with Bent out injured, agbon playing on wing...so it was a straight choice between Heskey or a kid in Wiemann or keane
2. Distance travelled for games on tired legs
3. Duration of Campaign, age and availability for next tournament....
4. We dont know what Long, Walters and Co will do at start of season, they could be banging in goals in Prem (hopefully)
if we dont have the players to get past our next opposition without him then we really need to consider things....we should be building for the future against opposition like these with players who will be available in 2014....