Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irish Independent Articles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Irish Independent Articles

Two articles regarding current situation in LOI football in the Irish Independent yesterday by the Kellys David and Liam.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...s-3161799.html

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/an...d-3161798.html
    Last edited by cheifo; 10/07/2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: found other link!

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    And so, Irish international types despise the manner in which League of Ireland types refer to themselves as 'real' football fans; patriotism is at once the last refuge of the scoundrel and the last resort.
    See, I mentioned this kind of thing in the "How the rest of the world sees us" thread, but how is this helpful? Are the people who went to Poland but only support English clubs going to read this and think "Wow, I totally want to see a LOI game now!"?

As the banner proclaims so proudly in Inchicore, "Ni neart go cur le cheile." There's no strength without unity.
    I'm glad Mr Kelly can reduce himself to "unity" with the "scoundrels".

Also, Roddy Collins on this "commission?" Really!?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    See, I mentioned this kind of thing in the "How the rest of the world sees us" thread, but how is this helpful? Are the people who went to Poland but only support English clubs going to read this and think "Wow, I totally want to see a LOI game now!"?

I'm glad Mr Kelly can reduce himself to "unity" with the "scoundrels".

Also, Roddy Collins on this "commission?" Really!?
    Actually who knows more about the myriad of problems faced by LOI clubs than Roddy ?

Would fully endorse the Commission idea* to (a) evaluate the current debacle and (b) develop 3/5 year plan to stabilise football here. This new dispensation would be a great oppurtunity to shake off some of the historic baggage and rebrand the LOI going forward. All ideas on the table and a clear time line for implementation

*as membership of the commission would lead to days/months/years of arguments here's a proposal - 2 members appointed by FAI, 2 members by Dept of Sport, 2 members by LOI clubs (Prem and 1st Div) 1 marketing consultant/RTE person. 2 other independent members to be agreed by commission at first meeting (if agreed) Independent Chair appointed by Minister for Sport (prefeably from outside football).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    2 members appointed by FAI, 2 members by Dept of Sport, 2 members by LOI clubs (Prem and 1st Div) 1 marketing consultant/RTE person. 2 other independent members to be agreed by commission at first meeting (if agreed) Independent Chair appointed by Minister for Sport (prefeably from outside football).
    Well you can't really have a commission in which only three of the eight members (the LOI reps and the marketing/media consultant) actually know what they're talking about. The FAI would need to be included, obviously, and the Dept. of Sport should be included, but the views and interests of the clubs would never be properly voiced and explored with just one First Division representative and one Premier representative. In turn this would lead to consternation with the many clubs that would feel unrepresented, and ultimately the findings of the commission would feel like a dictate being passed down rather than an agreed course of action.

As you said, yourself, though, when you take all this into account things become quite messy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ped_ped View Post
    Well you can't really have a commission in which only three of the eight members (the LOI reps and the marketing/media consultant) actually know what they're talking about. The FAI would need to be included, obviously, and the Dept. of Sport should be included, but the views and interests of the clubs would never be properly voiced and explored with just one First Division representative and one Premier representative. In turn this would lead to consternation with the many clubs that would feel unrepresented, and ultimately the findings of the commission would feel like a dictate being passed down rather than an agreed course of action.

As you said, yourself, though, when you take all this into account things become quite messy.
    No offence to anyone involved but over a long number of years the clubs (both inside and outside the FAI umberella) have shown themselves incapable of running/managing the League and rarely capable of looking beyond their own vested interest(s).

I believe we are long past another LOI talking shop so yes, a dictate is what I believe we need. If I were looking at braodening the numbers I woud look at interests from other sports (GAA, Rugby,Horse racing etc) rather than more LOI club reps.

The terms of reference would be to design a vibrant league not how to run (run down) a LOI club so I suggest it disengenuous to suggest no one but LOI club people know how to run a league.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

a few suggestions that cost nothing

Commissions, Marketeers, cpos etc all cost expenses and bobs no club has, try the 5 things below

1. Get your committee in a room and Ring your season ticket list 4 times a season, ask them for help and come to the next game if they have stayed away, ask them to bring a friend or family member, chat with them for 5 mins, no more, they will be delighted with the call believe me.
    ( a local insurance, estate agent, call centre business may let you use their office phones etc for an evening as sponsorship)

2. Get your committee out at the turnstiles on match nights, welcoming people, shaking their hands and selling programmes

3. Introduce yourself and your committee to those coming to games get to know them on 1st name terms
    ( there is nothing like a person greeting you on first name terms at the club you love with your friend or family beside you, its as if everyone knows your name)

4. Thank them for coming as they leave and inform them of the next game personally. (dont just leave it to the pa system, thats lazy)

5. Brighten up the front appearance of the entrance to your ground with the smile of the people that run the club

These 5 things cost nothing only time and i will guarantee a 20% increase in gates within 6 weeks.

its not rocket science.

Clubs should all be working together on these simple initiatives
    Last edited by geezer; 10/07/2012 at 2:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts

*as membership of the commission would lead to days/months/years of arguments here's a proposal - 2 members appointed by FAI, 2 members by Dept of Sport, 2 members by LOI clubs (Prem and 1st Div) 1 marketing consultant/RTE person. 2 other independent members to be agreed by commission at first meeting (if agreed) Independent Chair appointed by Minister for Sport (prefeably from outside football).

This, but I agree with ped_ped. A delegate from each member club in the League of Ireland would have to be included. Be it the Chairman, or elected spokesperson, the clubs voices need to be heard.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    No offence to anyone involved but over a long number of years the clubs (both inside and outside the FAI umberella) have shown themselves incapable of running/managing the League and rarely capable of looking beyond their own vested interest(s).

I believe we are long past another LOI talking shop so yes, a dictate is what I believe we need. If I were looking at braodening the numbers I woud look at interests from other sports (GAA, Rugby,Horse racing etc) rather than more LOI club reps.

The terms of reference would be to design a vibrant league not how to run (run down) a LOI club so I suggest it disengenuous to suggest no one but LOI club people know how to run a league.
    Fair point on the track record of those in the LOI, but at the same time, if you're talking of running a league instead of running clubs then the input of the members of that league is required. In that case, then, representatives of clubs need to be involved in the discussion, if not in the commission itself or the decision-making process. Top-down change doesn't work when the 'top' in this case is a commission consisting of individuals unaffected by the changes (GAA, Rugby officials, etc.), so the members need to feel involved and be listened to. They will be the ones affected by these changes in the end.

That said, the idea of beinging GAA and Rugby officials into the reckoning is an excellent, as they are running successful models as we speak (indeed, the two most successful sports models in the country). I'd be afraid their know-how in this area would be quite limited, though, considering the GAA is effectively the FIFA of its code and doesn't compete vastly superior Spanish and English hurling and football teams, while the hugely successful four provinces system used by the IRFU couldn't be implemented in the LOI without crushing the identity of the game. Likewise, the IRFU have less of a problem of international competitors with two of the most successful club sides in the world in Munster and Leinster. GAA and Rugby would promote themselves, and yet they are all over the TV, radio and print media on top of that. It's hard to know how effective their PR machine is, then, considering their product is obviously more attractive at a glance to begin with.

Nonetheless, they should be involved and asked for assistance. (What initiatives they have found successful, etc.)
    Last edited by ped_ped; 10/07/2012 at 2:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    commissions, marketeers, cpos etc all cost expenses and bobs no club has, try the 5 things below

1. Get your committee in a room and ring your season ticket list 4 times a season, ask them for help and come to the next game if they have stayed away, ask them to bring a friend or family member, chat with them for 5 mins, no more, they will be delighted with the call believe me.
    ( a local insurance, estate agent, call centre business may let you use their office phones etc for an evening as sponsorship)

2. Get your committee out at the turnstiles on match nights, welcoming people, shaking their hands and selling programmes

3. Introduce yourself and your committee to those coming to games get to know them on 1st name terms
    ( there is nothing like a person greeting you on first name terms at the club you love with your friend or family beside you, its as if everyone knows your name)

4. Thank them for coming as they leave and inform them of the next game personally. (dont just leave it to the pa system, thats lazy)

5. Brighten up the front appearance of the entrance to your ground with the smile of the people that run the club

these 5 things cost nothing only time and i will guarantee a 20% increase in gates within 6 weeks.

Its not rocket science.

some very simplistic and realistic ideas here that i'd be very surprised that have been overlooked by any committee. This type of thing happens at our local community meetings every week to plan events or any fundraiser. Think " shop local"
    Gold is for winners......

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

simpple is good

Quote Originally Posted by lawman View Post
    some very simplistic and realistic ideas here that i'd be very surprised that have been overlooked by any committee. This type of thing happens at our local community meetings every week to plan events or any fundraiser. Think " shop local"

i find people now will do anything but ask for help directly, forget for a minute tweeting, poking, texting people or advertising. You cant beat the personal touch, the phone call and asking for help a bit of an update and a thank you for all their support in the past. Help is the most important word and all they have to do to "help" is turn up.
    Our clubs are very small, a 10 person or 12 person committee should know practically all their regulars to see at least. Go ring them, talk to them and when they come to the game go shake their hands and introduce your people and re introduce them to others in the ground.

I can guarantee you this works, I am available to any club with the interest to prove it.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Liam Kelly destroys any good points in his article with 2 grievous errors. 1. It's Premier Division, not League. 2. Roddy is incapable of working within any defined structure on a consistent basis, he knows this.

David Kelly, as a lifelong Pats fan (as well as rugby fan), is speaking from deep knowledge of the LOI. Though the common thread of his article is negative.

It's great that the Indo deems the LOI worthy of 2 articles that explore the wants and needs. Debate and discussion can only, at least, lead to some sort of progress. Though from the tone of both articles, they're having a go at 1 man and this continues their disgraceful tradition of character assassination in the lowest and most vile British tabloid form. Whatever good they generate from points made, it is facetious, they have their editorial orders - Trap out, Delaney out - and are thinly disguising it as concern for the LOI.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    At least its better than accepting the status quo

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Two generally good articles (obviously we all do not agree with everything in both), informative and balanced; neither of which was written by that paper's football correspondent....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ped_ped View Post
    Fair point on the track record of those in the LOI, but at the same time, if you're talking of running a league instead of running clubs then the input of the members of that league is required. In that case, then, representatives of clubs need to be involved in the discussion, if not in the commission itself or the decision-making process. Top-down change doesn't work when the 'top' in this case is a commission consisting of individuals unaffected by the changes (GAA, Rugby officials, etc.), so the members need to feel involved and be listened to. They will be the ones affected by these changes in the end.

That said, the idea of beinging GAA and Rugby officials into the reckoning is an excellent, as they are running successful models as we speak (indeed, the two most successful sports models in the country). I'd be afraid their know-how in this area would be quite limited, though, considering the GAA is effectively the FIFA of its code and doesn't compete vastly superior Spanish and English hurling and football teams, while the hugely successful four provinces system used by the IRFU couldn't be implemented in the LOI without crushing the identity of the game. Likewise, the IRFU have less of a problem of international competitors with two of the most successful club sides in the world in Munster and Leinster. GAA and Rugby would promote themselves, and yet they are all over the TV, radio and print media on top of that. It's hard to know how effective their PR machine is, then, considering their product is obviously more attractive at a glance to begin with.

Nonetheless, they should be involved and asked for assistance. (What initiatives they have found successful, etc.)
    Obviously the Commission would/should take submissions from all parties with an interest in the structure/future of the LOI, especially those most directly involved. All of these submissions plus best practice world wide (other FAs) and best practice in other sports (where appropriate) feed into the outcome.

In many cases having "fresh eyes" onthe matter (and avoiding revisiting the arguments/differences of the past) is a positive and can offer up a new perspective on an old problem.

Personally think having someone like Roddy involved could be usefull as he is always likely to throw up a curveball or two that is unforeseen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Commissions, Marketeers, cpos etc all cost expenses and bobs no club has, try the 5 things below

1. Get your committee in a room and Ring your season ticket list 4 times a season, ask them for help and come to the next game if they have stayed away, ask them to bring a friend or family member, chat with them for 5 mins, no more, they will be delighted with the call believe me.

These 5 things cost nothing only time and i will guarantee a 20% increase in gates within 6 weeks.

its not rocket science.

Was there a 20% increase in Galway United's attendances when the Trust took over the running of the club?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean South View Post
    Was there a 20% increase in Galway United's attendances when the Trust took over the running of the club?
    There was a small increase, despite the worst results ever seen in the LOI.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Fair play.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    This works. costs nothing and if you in mervue friday night i would explain it to you further its free advice be only happy to help

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    This works. costs nothing and if you in mervue friday night i would explain it to you further its free advice be only happy to help
    Not sure if serious

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

serious

Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    Not sure if serious
    honestly, I will be in Mervue watching Lims on friday night. pm me. Lims are an ideal outfit for trying it out, im convinced if you are getting 500 or 700 now that this can increase 20% probably 50% over 2 seasons

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast