Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Possible Elite U17 League

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Possible Elite U17 League

What you guys think? Heard Fran Gavin talking about on MNS. I think it would be a good idea as alot of good players seem to drop out at this stage especially in my area and less football mad places like Monaghan. Would bring the cream of the crop together after the Emerging Talent Programme has finished and id say the LOI would benifit.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Needs to happen. The vast majority of players at that age just don't get enough experience against quality opposition in their local leagues.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Yeah true, but sfai have blocked it b4 cause some ppl think it would hinder small local clubs as all their best players would go to the regional teams

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Morginho View Post
    Yeah true, but sfai have blocked it b4 cause some ppl think it would hinder small local clubs as all their best players would go to the regional teams
    If these clubs want to continue claiming to have the development of their players as a priority, they have to stop spouting this sort of crap.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    I would be a step in right direction and would improve young footballers as they would be playing against a higher quality of opposition. But a few things would need to happen. Firstly the FAI would need to look at the cost that such a league would add onto each individual club and help with transport costs especially to the clubs that have longer distances to travel. Also they need to look at the coaching clubs have and help out with any extra coaching costs.

Slightly going off topic here, but I think it is silly that the under age leagues run at a different times to the Senior league. It makes no sense, the under 19s league finished in April and now the players who haven't broken into the first team (which would be most of them) have no incentive to stay with the club. Dundalk have a couple of youth players who are on our bench each week, but at best they will get the odd 15mins every couple of weeks.

I think there should be a reserve league or maybe an under 21s league that also allows a quota of over aged players (say 3) to play with them, for example the sub keeper if he is over age and players looking for game time or recovering from injury. Having it regionalised would also help cut down on travel costs.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinney View Post
    Firstly the FAI would need to look at the cost that such a league would add onto each individual club
    Clubs who (inevitably) will say that an u17 league is just another expense they can't afford have their priorities arseways and need to be told rather than asked imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    An Under 17 league would be a great step forward for the league and bringing back the A-League/Reserve League would be another big step.

Any club that thinks these extra teams are a financial burden don't deserve to be in Senior football.

9. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    If these clubs want to continue claiming to have the development of their players as a priority, they have to stop spouting this sort of crap.
    It happens alot though everywhere and ya know it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    Clubs who (inevitably) will say that an u17 league is just another expense they can't afford have their priorities arseways and need to be told rather than asked imo.
    Maybe so, but the FAI need to help the clubs more in the development of the players in this country. Many clubs are running on very low budgets as it is and even the Senior squads wage budgets are very low as they are. Don't get me wrong I'm all for an under 17s league and the development of young players but the FAI need to put more into coaching and helping clubs develop players instead of it's top brass getting huge salaries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Morginho View Post
    What you guys think? Heard Fran Gavin talking about on MNS. I think it would be a good idea as alot of good players seem to drop out at this stage especially in my area and less football mad places like Monaghan. Would bring the cream of the crop together after the Emerging Talent Programme has finished and id say the LOI would benifit.
    Well that all depends on who is charged with looking after it .... it could actually have the opposite effect that you are thinking off, poaching players right before they ever get a chance to play in LOI .... Its not like the FAI will give a toss now is it? Sure their record speaks volumes on that regard.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    Well that all depends on who is charged with looking after it .... it could actually have the opposite effect that you are thinking off, poaching players right before they ever get a chance to play in LOI .... Its not like the FAI will give a toss now is it? Sure their record speaks volumes on that regard.
    Never one to shoot ideas down without having something better to suggest myself but thats exactly the first thought that popped into my head when I read the post.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    Fair point.

Anyone have any insight into how the Under 19 league was run?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    The Under 19 league was run pretty well imo.
    Unlike the A-League in the past, fixtures were released at the start of the season and there was very little change in those fixtures throughout the season, which is a big help in planning.
    My only problem with the 19's was the fact it's running at a different time to the 1st team. Although I do get the reasoning behind it (the leaving cert being the main one).

The FAI do have it's flaws (let's not get started on those here) but the introduction of national underage leagues is a huge plus by them, the standard of the 19's Northern Division last season was very high. We now have 5 of the 19's now in our first team squad on a regular basis, numerous players getting underage international caps and with us in the Elite Division this season the profile is only getting better which means we are able to attract a better quality player to the club.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Right fair point but in what way could it have the opposite effect? That is a key age in which to get players playing at a higher level in Ireland. Not just those who've went across the water. Players like Fahey, McLean, Hoolahan didn't go across until they played a few seasons in LOI. The earlier they start playing at a higher level the better IMO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Fahey was in England, returned to LOI before going back over again.