Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Governance of the FAI

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts
    “ In 2012/13, 30 Irishmen played 44,205 minutes in the top five European leagues. Last season, 16 Irish players registered 9,818 minutes between them at that elite level.”

I also wonder to what extent that’s about our inability to convince players from England, Northern Ireland and Scotland who would have previously been inclined to play for us.

Am I right in thinking that of our current squad, only Josh Cullen (and to a very minor extent Nathan Fraser) are guys who grew up outside the system and played in the top flight. In another world, all of Declan Rice, Jack Grealish, Conor Bradley and Andy Robertson are contributing to that number.

The likes of Gibson, McClean, Duffy, McCarthy, McGeady, Walters, Westwood, Cox would have all contributed to those numbers since 2012 and at least as far as i can see we’ve got significantly worse at converting irish eligible players to playing for the national team.

I know it’s just one element but I don’t think it’s insignificant

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    In another world, all of Declan Rice, Jack Grealish, Conor Bradley and Andy Robertson are contributing to that number.
    I don't think there's any world where that's happening to be honest.

When you compare them to the capped dual national players you list (plus McClean, which is a bit strange!) the gap in ability is huge. Who was the last English player to play for us who was genuinely good enough to play regularly for England for example?

And should you not factor in similar players who were playing in 2012/13, which would re-open the gap between the two years?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    Ciaran Clark is usually the answer to that. Capped, and captained, England at every underage level up to U20 before switching allegiance to Ireland
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,231 Posts
    Good example I think, but he was never really in the same grouping as Robertson, Grealish and Rice. (Too early to tell with Bradley I think). I'm not sure he'd ever have been capped by England tbh. Never even played for their 21s

If that's the best example, then I think it backs up my point

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    He didn't play for their U21s because he'd changed allegiance when he was in the U20s
    I'm not saying he'd have gotten 30+ caps, but he probably would have gotten a few caps before Villa were relegated, or while he was still with Newcastle
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Remember meeting Clark and his family in a pub in Letterkenny a few years back. His alliegance was never in question, and a family that seemed properly proud of their Irish roots.

During a time when England were struggling a little with centre backs, he would almost certainly have got a few caps there. I think he was a consistently under-rated player for us and done very well when called upon. It's a pity his career has nose-dived a little in recent seasons.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415