Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: RTE Panel

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Ok, if you say so, but referring to your post about chances when you didn't say any of that at all...

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I didn't think I needed to state the obvious any more than I did, but maybe I need to spell things out more for some people.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Clearly a unique interpretation...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    On our national self-loathing and the bitterness of Dunphy et al, this article is a decent read: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-30674961.html
    There have some excellent articles published since O'Shea's equaliser.

Hardly had the ball hit the net but the reduction process started, a poor cross, a lucky goal, a lucky escape, the german performance was a 'monument to conceit adorned with vanity and self-indulgence', a one in a million piece of luck that will never ever be exactly repeated. And that's from the fans.

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    There have some excellent articles published since O'Shea's equaliser.

Hardly had the ball hit the net but the reduction process started, a poor cross, a lucky goal, a lucky escape, the german performance was a 'monument to conceit adorned with vanity and self-indulgence', a one in a million piece of luck that will never ever be exactly repeated. And that's from the fans.
    Joking aside, it was a poor cross, followed by a superb piece of skill from Hendrick and a fantastic finish from O'Shea.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Fortunately the fans didn't have the perfect cross to celebrate, the one that was met by O'Shea's head and went over the bar
    As I pointed out somewhere, Finnan's cross that landed at McAteer's feet was hit with a very dubious conviction.
    When a move is so good, one perceived weak part in that move won't derail it from its glorious destiny (unless of course, the weak part is the final part).
    Last edited by geysir; 20/10/2014 at 10:51 PM.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Sky (ignoring all the rest of the hype) are different class with Carragher and Neville. Recently retired and not afraid to put forward their views. I had to laugh at Carragher last night when he said "I never enjoy United goals but....".
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    The best thing that can be said for RTE football coverage is that it's not Fox Sport.
    Though I learned something new tonight, that Costa (Rica) is pronounced Coasta.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Our scholar of Spanish football was at it again last night. When discussing Real Madrid he said there's a rift in the camp, one side being led by the originals, Casillas & Ramos, the other by Ronaldo. This has been going on since Mourinho's time and eventually cost him his job, they can forget about winning the Champions League unless they sort it out, said Eamon, ignoring the fact that they won it last May. Funny how he didn't feel the need to mention it during Real's twenty-two game winning run earlier in the season.

To be fair to him, he was the only one of the three who said Zlatan's red card was very harsh, Hamman & Giles were convinced it was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    When will George Hamilton ever learn? Last night when Chelsea went 1-0 he said "That is that!" even though it only made the score 2-1 on aggregate. Then when PSG, who had been outplaying Chelsea with 10 men, equalised he said "who would have believed it"? He's been at this sort of stuff for decades and never seems to foresee the possibility of the team losing actually scoring. Bizarre.

Much to my amazement on Sky, Neville and Carragher were having a pop at the Premiership and saying how far it is behind other leagues. Their bosses won't have liked that.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah Neville and Carragher seem immune from that nonsense. I remember a few weeks ago Neville saying that the La Liga fixture between Athletic Bilbao and Atletico Madrid restored his faith in football, having watched Liverpool against Arsenal just before it. He was highlighting the gulf in intensity between the two matches, and how the Premier League had fallen miles behind in that regard.

In fairness to George, I think he realised that he jumped the gun immediately after saying "that should be that" or "that's that, you would have to think", something along those lines. He commented straight away that "of course, PSG still only need a goal to force extra time but Chelsea have something more to hold on to now"*, which was fair enough. I've never known a man to overcomplicated such a simple concept as the away goals rule though!
    Last edited by DeLorean; 12/03/2015 at 10:01 AM. Reason: *not a direct quote

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    When will George Hamilton ever learn? Last night when Chelsea went 1-0 he said "That is that!" even though it only made the score 2-1 on aggregate. Then when PSG, who had been outplaying Chelsea with 10 men, equalised he said "who would have believed it"? He's been at this sort of stuff for decades and never seems to foresee the possibility of the team losing actually scoring. Bizarre.

Much to my amazement on Sky, Neville and Carragher were having a pop at the Premiership and saying how far it is behind other leagues. Their bosses won't have liked that.
    I think he confused poor Ray who thought when it went 2-1 that PSG now needed two to go through!
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Thought this entertaining...

'A Love Letter to Eamon Dunphy, the Most Important Voice in Irish Football': https://sports.vice.com/en_uk/articl...irish-football

Quote Originally Posted by James Nolan
    Eamon Dunphy is a football pundit and political commentator. He's appeared as part of Ireland's foremost footballing panel for RTÉ – our state broadcaster – for the past 30 years. He also writes articles and books, and, for over a decade, hosted current-affairs radio shows on Ireland's biggest stations. Though an ex-footballer hardened in England's lower leagues, he resists stereotype, having the ability to change depending on his audience. He's a Renaissance man, a kaleidoscope of shapes and colours, all combining to form an image of a middle finger raised defiantly to the sky.

With Liam Brady (ex-Arsenal) and John Giles (ex-Leeds), he makes up RTÉ's panel, Dunphy playing the Holy Spirit to Giles' Father and Brady's Son. He's the wildcard, the ill-defined hype man in the corner lashing out; he's the reason Irish people watch football punditry instead of turning it down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    The most important voice in Irish football is Martin O'Neill. Don't get me started on the rest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I think you would have been a little proud of Richard Sadlier after the Real Madrid Juventus game the last night Owls Fan. He really pulled Dunphy on some of his guff. Dunphy was saying how the Spanish League is poor and Sadlier was asking him to name a good league if he considers the Spanish one poor. Dunphy tried to wriggle out of it by saying he means it's imbalanced as opposed to poor and that only two teams (Barca & Real) can actually win it. Sadlier pointed out that Atletico are the current holders! Dunphy then said Barca won 6-0 recently and that you'd never get a scoreline like that in the Premier League. Sadlier pointed out that Manchester City beat QPR 6-0 just days previously, to which Dunphy said that was just an end of season game! Yes Eamon, a crucial end of season game which actually relegated QPR. Shameless stuff.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Eamon of course has no problem getting into the gutter, at one stage he digged Sadlier about 'where were you when Barca were losing CL semi finals, you were sitting at home that's where'. Hardly annoyed that your jacket shuffling sidekick was dropped for the night were you Eamon!?
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Haha yeah I think he actually thought he got one up on Sadlier when he said that, as if not being on the RTE panel at that point in time meant he couldn't possibly know about football from that period.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 18/05/2015 at 9:35 PM.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I like Sadlier a lot - he really does think about what he's saying.

The panel talked after the same game about Bale not being passed to, and some statistics that were supposed to back it up. Sadlier was saying that the numbers alone don't mean much and they'd need to be interpreted carefully, but Dunphy and Brady both dismissed this.
    Last edited by osarusan; 19/05/2015 at 8:56 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I like Sadlier a lot - he really does think about what he's saying.

The panel talked after the same game about Bale not being passed to, and some statistics that were supposed to back it up. Sadlier was saying that the numbers alone don't mean much and they'd need to be interpreted carefully, but Dunphy and Brady both dismissed this.
    You didn't listen properly to the RTE panel discussion after the 2nd leg.
    When Dunphy triumphed those passing-to-Bale stats (from Bale's agent), it was Brady who loudly dismissed the value of the 'passing stats' and exclaimed that there was no evidence of that in this game and don't pay any heed to what an agent says.

I really enjoy Brady when it comes to Italian football, both him and Giles were spot on with their analysis of Juve's performance in the 1st leg, Giles in particular was purring in his praise.
    On the panel in the return game, Sadlier came out with some words about Bale hiding because of abuse by RM fans. Brady was more acutely analytical and said Bale bottled it and gave an example, that Bale never once took on Evra and always chose the easy option, that Bale's confidence was poor. In the ongoing discussion, Brady's was intelligently analytical in his comments about Bale's performance.

24. Thanks From:

Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast