Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: RTE Panel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    has dunphy jacked it in?
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    This team and management have done well but there is justifiable reason for change, to a degree in personell but more so in tactical approach.
    This is exactly the position Liam Brady has been saying, why do you flag him as "blinded by his allegiance"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Well done RTE.
    *Falls off chair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Sadlier adds a different dimension. Perhaps he is trying to be controversial to carve out a career for himself. But his arguments at least are more reasoned and supported than Dunphy's are. I also agree his calling for Trap to get the sack was ill judged and rightly pulled up on by Giles.
    sadlier called for Trap to be sacked even if we qualified for the euros and even if we did well! says it all really

5. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    I thought Sadlier came across as a whinger and made a bit of a balls of himself to be honest. So I guess he filled in for Dunphy pretty well. He went too far and the other guys who had been attacking the management ended up defending them to some extent. But then the whole thing seems to be increasingly about the show rather than any actual analysis.

Didn't like the aggression in the interview with Trap from O'Donoghue which came across as just plain rude and O'Herlihy just wanted to stir things up as much as possible.. just more of the hysterical attitude that makes watching games on TV ever more annoying.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    I thought Sadlier came across as a whinger and made a bit of a balls of himself to be honest. So I guess he filled in for Dunphy pretty well. He went too far and the other guys who had been attacking the management ended up defending them to some extent. But then the whole thing seems to be increasingly about the show rather than any actual analysis.

Didn't like the aggression in the interview with Trap from O'Donoghue which came across as just plain rude and O'Herlihy just wanted to stir things up as much as possible.. just more of the hysterical attitude that makes watching games on TV ever more annoying.
    I think the only solution is a Battle Royal featuring RTE Panel, TV3 Panel, Sky Panel, MOTD Panel and Setanta Panel.

Bill gets first shot on the Trident.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I can't recall who described Bradys analysis these days as comparable to Brad Pitt trying to review an Angelina Jolie movie ...but not a bad comparison.

I'm sick of Sadlier already. He talks in a bizarre put-on glove puppet voice and all.

What happened Graham Souness anyway? Did he just grow weary of it all? He always seemed a little exasperated.

Or Blinky Hamann? Bring back Blinky!
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

10. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    I think the right answer is somewhere in between. This team and management have done well but there is justifiable reason for change, to a degree in personell but more so in tactical approach.
    Slightly off topic, but can you separate the man (Trapp) from the tactical approach? Are they not inseparable? I have no problem with his tactical approach away from home but I fear for us in every home game (Faroes apart just). Even if we had Sir Alex Ferguson as our manager, I don't belive we would have gone 2 campaigns and a bit unbeaten away from home but I suspect we would have done better at home.

Team selection is a separate issue and Trapp's stubborness (loyalty?) is irritating to say the least but I think the Paul Green thing is a bit of a red herring. How many competitive games has he started for us? I think McCarthy should be in the team and I fear a Whelan/Andrews combination in forthcoming games. But so be if that happens. My rattles shall remain in the pram and please God so will the RTE Panel's (back on topic).

p.s. I agree that Messrs Whelan and Hamilton were negative throughout but you've got to remember with George that once a team takes the lead, he never foresees an equaliser and....oh, danger here!!
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Why is Dunphy not on there anymore?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I think the only solution is a Battle Royal featuring RTE Panel, TV3 Panel, Sky Panel, MOTD Panel and Setanta Panel.

Bill gets first shot on the Trident.
    yeah, Anchorman style! tonight the streets run red with Shearer's blood!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    I reckon Roddy Collins could do a lot of damage with a broken bottle
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Have to say I really enjoyed the squabble last night with someone (Brady) actually standing up to Dunphy and Laughing Bill (who only laughed a small bit). He was so much in Dunphy's face that he accused Brady of being against free speech and actually gave up and passed the argument over to Giles. That's what the Panel should have been about for the past 20+ years. Debate rather than "I agree with John/Eamon" as nauseum. As Giles and Dunphy made their points I could hear O'Herlihy in the background saying "exactly", "correct" - is he not supposed to be neutral? O'H also grumpily said "We'll have an interview with Trappatoni coming up". He seems to have forgotton his first name.

Whether you agree with Brady or not you have to hand it to him for standing up to the three of them. That was good television.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

16. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    I agree it was good television. He was really only standing up to Dunphy though. Giles doesnt use hyperbole, so that was just sensible discussion between the two. Bill...well, Bill nods alot.

A far better performance from Brady though compared to his performance after the Kazak game. Perhaps he doesnt have the legs to match the whipper snapper Sadlier?
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    It's possible to watch the discussion again here:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/player/734/341964/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    It's possible to watch the discussion again here:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/player/734/341964/
    Anyone pick up on Dunphy's "McCarthy's been treated disgracefully" comment and then McCarthy saying within moments "the boss has been brilliant with me".

A moment to savour.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Yeah, I picked up on that last night and the general vibe that all talk of having 'lost the dressing room' may not be so cut in stone.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Yeah, I picked up on that last night and the general vibe that all talk of having 'lost the dressing room' may not be so cut in stone.
    Ken Early mentioned it on Newstalk last night as well: http://media.newstalk.ie/newstalk/me...mp3/1610FS.mp3
    on 33:30 minutes, he said that Robbie Keane made it clear that he still supports Trapattoni, and arguments happen in every squad every week
    another (unnamed) player said that he's been in teams where the manager has lost the dressing room, and this is not it
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Can anyone tell me how the meeja know so much about the inner workings of everything? I watched the discussion yesterday early morning before work and was loving how Brady stuck it to Dunphy and then the players rolling out (especially McCarthy - class act of a kid) and backing the manager. Bill needs to retire to his PR company and stop this crap, he was once a good journalist, now he's a bitter ringmaster of no note. Giles was decent and you could almost hear him say "Leave me out of this." Best panel for a while and thank god Sadlier wasn't on, sadly he started his "career" too shrill and now can only get shriller (if that's the word), at least Dunphy can roll along and siccker people in - how about his "we can win the euro's, we've a good team" crap!

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Either they say that or they have to walk.
    Thats the reality. Players say these things in interviews all the time. Means absolutely nothing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dong View Post
    Either they say that or they have to walk.
    Thats the reality. Players say these things in interviews all the time. Means absolutely nothing.
    There are ways of saying these things. You don't have to say "The manager has been brilliant to me". You can simply say "he has my support", "I wouldn't like him to leave". Someone who has been treated "disgracefully" doesn't or wouldn't use the word "brilliant".

28. Thanks From:

Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast