Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2012 General Discussion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    ZZZZZZ What an awful Tourney and with Stutts saying it was for the ages to boot, I have no idea.

Who could watch that today? It was like a bad Super Bowl.

I think enlarged; it was hopeless, without drama, and lacked any entertainment.
    I get the more cynical of us responding with kicks but come on. Lads.
    Last edited by Crosby87; 02/07/2012 at 2:34 AM.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Do you have any faculty for appreciating football whatsoever? Super tournament, from start to finsih.

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    I think there were only about two games that weren't great to watch and I saw most of them. No moaning about the match balls, hardly any diving, very few controversial refereeing decisions, brilliant goals, incredible tactical battles, beautiful football, hard to argue it was one of the best tournaments ever.

I genuinely think there are a lot of people out there who don’t actually like football.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Crosby,
    Even I enjoyed the Final (though do admit to drifting off) and was a better tournament than usual...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Lessons from Euro 2012?

I'm not sure I learnt that much from this. I think the way the game has been evolving in recent years has been obvious to most. But some of my thoughts:

- While there's always room for a bit of rough and tumble, the elite football nations derive most of their success from cohesive and fluent football that requires good technique.
    - The best countries have had an imaginative playmaker of some sorts.
    - The best countries have used their full backs well and as an attacking platform...but has this been at the expense of the traditional winger?
    - We're miles behind the top 8-12 (think what Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay and Mexico might have done here), but where we are vis-a-vis 16-50 in the world remains to be seen. The best will only get better from here. Staying still is not an option for us.
    - There is no one best way.

What I liked:
    - Good refereeing, by and large
    - Good behaviour by the players for the most part
    - Good tackling, very few studs-up lunges (take note BBC)
    - Hardly any reference in the media (TV or newspapers) to "holding midfielders", the most useless descriptive term in recent football history
    - Interesting tactical variations
    - Unlike 2010, the attacking teams won over the defensive teams.

Any other views?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Intelligent movement while in possesion is almost as important as possession itself. I lost count of the amount of times balls were played into space, but the intended target hadn't anticipated the pass and stayed static.
    Spain, Germany and Italy all moved to reduce the areas the ball can be played into when the opposition were in possession. It wasn't zonal marking, it wasn't man marking, but it was fantastic to watch
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Italy's transformation since 2010 shows how an imaginative manager and good players can reap real rewards. I know we don't have players on the level of Pirlo or Cassano, but they have decent, technically-adept players like Marchisio and Montolivo who work hard and really punch about their weight. They outclassed a German team who, man for man, are more talented in almost every sense. The scoreline was very harsh on them against the Spanish too - they paid for some poor defending rather than being outplayed as most sides are against Spain.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Spain, Germany and Italy all moved to reduce the areas the ball can be played into when the opposition were in possession. It wasn't zonal marking, it wasn't man marking, but it was fantastic to watch
    Ya this reminded of the revolution around the turn of the century with the Northern teams and the effect it had on Gaelic football. I think Spain, and Germany to a lesser extent have adopted this(not that they copied) to football now, and it is extremely effective, the ground covered over 90 minutes is phenomenal.

Id love to know, the combined running total for spain in a game, say compared to Italy yesterday or just in general, it must be a lot higher than most other teams.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Something I thought on when RTE were doing their closing segment last night, a sort of 2-3min recap of the tournament - was there a bad goal scored at all?! Every goal I can think of had something decent about it, there was hardly any scrappy goals, or tap ins from a couple of yards out. Most were either well built goals (spain for example), powerful finishes from the edge of the box or further out - the germans had a few, or even the headed goals were top notch - carroll, shevchenko spring to mind.
    im sure there were one or two scrappy goals, but they are far out weighed by the classy ones!
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    No depression, Spain, Italy and the other two semi-finalists are currently light years ahead of us. And probably always will be.
    A very defeatist attitude. Sure we might as well give up.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Maybe. But we're miles ahead of them at GAA & rugby and probably always will be...
    Anyway, I did say 'currently'.

Though does anyone realistically expect vast change in the next decade? I doubt it. Winning play-offs will probably be the height of our ambition?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Seeing as I was accused of starting this off, i might as well continue on that thread, even though it wasn't my initial intention.

Xavi covers a lot more ground now than he does in his 20s....

Is there any real evidence that Barcelona players are doping? Well, some of the following may be evidence even though admittedly it is no more than circumstantial:

-Pep Guardiola was already caught doping while playing in Brescia himself for using nandrolone. There was a legal dispute in which he was absolved of the charges by Brescia, but there has been a general controversy about the way he was absolved, with some anti-doping Italian officials claiming that the investigation should have continued.

-Guardiola's same doctor from Brescia while he was caught doping is now working in Barcelona as one of the head doctors.

-Barcelona doctors are notorious for extensively using "vitamine shakes" for the players. It has been part of the Barcelona culture for quite some time, and there are rumors that such shakes contain illegal substances that are hard to detect.

-Formerly injury-prone players such as Xavi, Messi, and Iniesta rarely get injured anymore despite playing nearly 90 minutes of every single Barcelona match. Pep is known for barely rotating his squad , and the amouunt of injuries the team gets is notoriously small considering how much they play and former physical fragility of various players.

-Barcelona players appear to be almost as fresh at the end of every match as they are in the beginning. It is always said that this is because how much posession they always have, but it is nevertheless suspicious that players that aren't known for being particularly that athletic manage to run as much as they do and with as much intensity in every game, especially since they barely rotate and are involved in all competitions.

-Barcelona always travel the same day to every away game, which is said to be triggered to reduce the chances that there is a surprise *** test by UEFA officials.

-In Spain, *** tests are done much less frequently than in other leagues. Teams always get to know in advance when they will be tested, and blood tests are rarely done. The number of players tested every season is also significantly low.

-The infamous Doctor Fuentes has been heavily linked with being involved with Barcelona in the past. A few months ago there was also an allegation by a fellow prisoner (Fuentes was in prison at the time obviously) that Fuentes had confided in him that "if people actually knew the truth, the World Cup would be taken from Spain immediately"

-In the last 18 months, Barcelona has "conveniently" suspended two training sessions before a UEFA *** test, one which led to a fine to the club by UEFA officials.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

15. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I'm always up for a good conspiracy theory. Where did you get that info from?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    An email from a mate after I started sending the same to them after geysirs post. It put the thought in my mind.

I'm open to good conspiracies, i.e. ones that I agree with

Here is something interesting, its what ive been saying for a long time also, but I think dodge on here was in denial for a very long time. Someone good out there could do the retrieval, the best one i know is Dodge, but he isn't going to hang himself.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/gamet...ed-drug-taking
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    on a very basic level, even looking at alonso last night, you would know he had put in a shift, he was knackered and the jersey was drenched. compare that with xavi, iniesta and fabregas to a lesser extent. the conspiracy grows!
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Paranoia is a terrible thing, Paul.

Barcelona's players are supremely fit. This is not new information - they actively work on it and do gruelling endurance workouts in pre-season to prepare them for it. The New Zealand rugby team undergo a similar regimen.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I've always suspected the All Blacks of doping too!

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    But all top sports teams bend the rules and always have done...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Paranoia is a terrible thing, Paul.

Barcelona's players are supremely fit. This is not new information - they actively work on it and do gruelling endurance workouts in pre-season to prepare them for it. The New Zealand rugby team undergo a similar regimen.
    Denial is a horrrible thing - Ace Ventura.

They can do all they like, we are all only human after all CD. You should know this of all people Unless of course natural selection is at a far more advanced stage in Spain than the rest of the world....
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I've always suspected the All Blacks of doping too!
    It helps that they are the IRB's cashcow too.
    Despise them as a team. And don't get me started on that McCaw b*****.

Paul, some nice work there. I stopped watching the game after the 4th goal as I was just disgusted they had won. But remarkably when I hot home and told my sister the result I then in jest that they were doping cos there was no other explanation...
    Then I started to think about the game v Portugal and how much energy they had in ET v the first 90... and that fuelled my fire for conspiracy and then you did such a good summation that I'm on board.

I love it.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast