Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new junior season

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thats funny, you mention Rossi, didn't he score in an FAI final for Fairview and played with Waterford, nothing junior about that.

As for the others they have played with Limerick for years under different managers who must think something of them

Stick to your junior soccer, you obviously know nothing about senior soccer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    yeah as i said junior level he was a good junior player not loi if i was right he was let go by waterford and as has been said by several different sources in this forum he is not producing the goods and believe it or not i like the guy so i dont want to be putting him down but as for the other 2 if you are trying to tell me they are good enough for league of ireland football maybe its people like you who are the reason limerick are where they are because ye will settle for mediocrity

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Mike Ahern was on the oscar TRAYNOR team when he stepped up to Limerick. Something others were not prepared to do. He deserved a lot of credit and he had face the wrath of the mighty LDMC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    mike ahern was on the oscar traynor panel and was first choice when martin neary was fit and also he lost his place to ray hourigan at janesboro at one point in the season and had to be accommodated on the wing and also pat mitchell was picked before him at one stage in the panel but didnt show up, and fair play to mick ahern for making the step up but if you are honest limerick dont have much to offer good junior player in return for making the step up

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    junior and senior should be discussed on forum. were all limerick men . it could be worse people cud come on talking about gaa.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Dont know if i should be posting here but just to let inexile know that Trevor Cosgrave has gone to the States also..Balla retained everyone and you are correct about the View signing Hoola O'Donnell and Lawlor although Lawlor is unavailable For Thursdays game against the Boro...I think that its a good suggestion to open up a Junior site and its only fair

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have been to almost Rossi may be a bit sluggish but he did have a year out with an ankle injury and the way things are this season he never really got the chance to ease back into things. Mick Ahern has played every game out of position this season at left back and has been consistent and solid since changing to right back.

Ye mention alot of the junior stuff, i think it could be the best season yet locally. I think Fairview will want to win back the premier title but Balla and Pike have got in the players that see them go very close. Be interesting to see what Dermot Finnan can do at Boro

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy
    I think that its a good suggestion to open up a Junior site and its only fair
    I have no problem with that, and beleive it or not, am a big fan of junior soccer, but I think the two(EL and Junior) are vastly different in many ways, both on the field and off and therefore should be kept seperate.I'll ask adam to try and get a dedicated junior link as I'm sure the dublin lads have an interest in the junior scene also.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Great Idea Joe ...You have proven to have a good knowledge of local junior soccer in the past.Even though i dont agree with a lot of your comments on it,

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I dont that the way Limerick is run at the moment is much different to an average Junior club is though do you??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    from what i have seen the top 3 or 4 junior clubs in limerick are run better than limerick and more progressive, i know the boro have plans to install an astroturf training pitch, and obviously balla have moved to their new facilities in L.I.T. even though they were close to unbeatable in Bateman Park

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Lads, I'd like to clarify a few points for ye on the differences between Junior and Senior soccer, particularly senior soccer in Limerick.
    Junior soccer is officially an amateur sport. Senior soccer is semi-professional or fully professional.
    The furthest a junior club will have to travel to play a league match is maybe 30 odd miles to Ballylanders.Limerick face regular 200 mile plus trips up north, as well as to places like Cobh, Kilkenny, Kildare, Dublin and Wicklow.This activity tends to cost a lot of money.
    All junior clubs are parish based, established years and have very few problems getting the use of pitches to play on.They have very strong traditions and are well supported financially by their players, sponsors and members.This is very commendable. Limerick on the other hand, have no base, have to pay out big wages and have absolutely no members.Junior clubs have lottos which gross them a pretty penny every week, as does the revenue from their clubhouse bars. Limerick can't run a lotto because Pike already have one, and have no clubhouse.I agree with the comment that up to now, Limerick has been run like an average junior club.This is not the fault of the players or team management.Blame lies firmly with the three committee members (outgoing) who have ran the club into the ground.
    I guess some of you lot are too young to remember the glory days of the late 70's early 80's, and thats sad because if ye were around then, I'd guarantee ye that ye're attitude towards senior soccer would be different.
    This whole junior v senior soccer thing in Limerick is pathetic. It is depriving potential stars of the future of the chance to play at a much higher level.It is also depriving Limerick of the chance to have a strong team in the Eircom League again.It should be every junior players ambition to play Eircom League, get into Europe, get a move to a big club.
    At the moment Limerick is not a viable option for a lot of players. but things are about to change, hopefully for the better.When they do, I would hope to see a marked improvement in the attitude of junior soccer towards the senior side. I would hope players and clubs would have the ambition to see their players making the step up to play Eircom League, and that the clubs get financially rewarded as a result of supplying quality players to the EL..If that scenario can be brought around, then the future could be a lot brighter for everyone concerned.
    In the past few seasons, I have travelled to Cork, Mayo, Dublin and other places to see Pike and Fairview play and always gave them 100% support and I would like to think that the junior supporters could start developing that mindset, irrespective of who Limerick are playing, not just the big games we very seldom get.
    Last edited by joeSoap; 18/08/2004 at 10:31 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Joe I agree with You totally On this...I have never once Blamed players and always commended them for there efforts...I say well done to anyone who has given it a go.I have always said that it is the way the club is run so hopefully the proposed takeover if there is one will happen...If not Hopefully someone else will come in because i think Limerick is a sleeping Giant and could be massive with the proper facilities and the proper running of the Club

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Joe
    Well written and I also agree with you. Slagging was just to get at a few snobby attitudes.
    Schoolboys should be enticed into Junior who should follow to Senior. I also think Limerick should run Kenneddy Cup and Oscar Traynor teams.
    But with the power mad officials in the various bodies it will take a miracle to get them to agree. To be fair a few of the newer brigade on LDMC would have similar views such as Derek Higgins, Christy O'Dwyer, Kieran Judge and Don O'Malley. However with people like Hugh O'Neill, Willie Grimes, Paddy Cusack and company things don't look good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    What I'd like to know is why the older brigade in particular want to get on junior council so badly. I remember many years ago when they were trying to get rid of Cusack, he came to my house one saturday night crying (literally)to me about how hard done by he was, and how he desperately needed all the backing he could get to get in as secretary.This was all because I had a vote. When it transpired I voted for someone else, then I got the most awkward list of fixtures you could imagine from the pr1ck for the forthcoming season, and the refs weren't too kind to us either. Co-incidence??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    a lot of it is to do with power and looking good in the town wearing their ldmc blazers and the free meals and free pints you get on oscar traynor match days etc, however some arent all bad always had good time for paul neville and malachy cosgrove who arent afraid to get involved, neville is also involved with Caherdavin Celtic and is treasurer of the club i believe.He also was manager of the Caherdavin Junior A team for many years and in fairness to him did put in a massive effort. and you have to give credit to malachy too who has been involved for donkeys years and has to put up with Gordon Stewart ripping him to pieces on OT match days!! and he also was involved with the youth team who won the youth interleague comp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12