Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: LOI match series 14/13 updates.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Definitely not Doyle, he'd have sent two Rovers players off and given three penalties for it..not a chance of a sniff of an opposition penalty being rejected by him. Never mind one where you could hear the crunching contact in Cape Town
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    All jokes aside, Alan Kelly never referees a single competitive game involving us. Same goes for Anthony Buttimer (I know, we're lucky!).

Why then are Dublin-based refs so often assigned to our games against Dublin opposition? If the refs are assumed to be neutral, it should be consistent and there should be as much chance of Alan Kelly reffing one of our games versus Shamrock Rovers as Rob Rogers.

I personally would go with the philosophy of allowing any ref to officiate a given fixture, we must assume that they are professional enough to do the job right. Ireland is too small to be particularly picky. But if that means Rob Rogers doing a game in Tallaght, then Alan Kelly should be allowed to do one in Cork.

My problem isn't that I think there's hometown bias, it's the blatent inconsistency of it.
    Last edited by adamd164; 04/06/2012 at 10:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Alan Kelly has reffed us a load of times! and he goes out of his way to ensure hes not biased

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Alan Kelly has reffed us a load of times! and he goes out of his way to ensure hes not biased
    When was the last time? Must be yonks ago. I know he does friendlies and Munster Senior Cup, that sort of thing. Maybe games against Cobh when they were in the PD.

Put it this way, on the law of averages he should get games involving us 1 in every 6 weekends. He hasn't gotten us yet, 14 games into the league season. Will he ref a match involving us in the league this year do you think?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    well if we havent had him yet this year then the last time we had him was in 09. Perhaps the FAI have made a concious decision not to have him ref our games. It makes sense in a way as we are the only Cork club. To say that we shouldnt have any Dublin referees against Dublin teams is a bit simplistic. There are 5 Dublin clubs, no ref is going to be fond of all 5. In all likelihood he may like one and dislike the rest as most Dublin LOI fans would.

I think it would make sense for each ref to be asked declare any clubs they may be affiliated with and then not ref games involving those clubs. So the likes of Rogers/Doyle who may or may not be Shamrock Rovers fans would no longer ref games involving those clubs and then you no longer get any question of bias. But if you go down that route, do you say, they shouldn't ref games involving their traditional rivals, rivals for the league that season?

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    I wouldn't presume that most officials are LOI fans per se anyway.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Have visions in my head of ref's gathering together in the pub to cheer on Howard Webb and co every weekend

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamd164 View Post
    All jokes aside, Alan Kelly never referees a single competitive game involving us.
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    In all my time going to City games I can only remember one game where Alan Kelly reffed a competitive City game. It was a cup game against Galway and he gave us a very generous penalty and we won one nil.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    I wouldn't presume that most officials are LOI fans per se anyway.
    I thnk in order to make the grade then a certain amount of self loving is a must, they're mostly fans of themsleves first and foremost, mirrors all round.
    Anders isn't the worst of them but if we start to get Cork refs in general that means Buttimer and Anders Junior too and we could do without that.
    Be careful what you wish for.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Pats league games by refs this season;

3 - Alan Kelly, 2 - McLaughlin, Connolly, Doyle, 1 - Winter, Buttimer, Tomney, Sutton, Graham Kelly

We've had red cards dished out by Alan Kelly and Tom Connolly and had 2 opponents sent off by Alan Kelly and one by Graham Kelly.

If Cork haven't Alan Kelly ref since 2009, its probably down to him being the best in the league and not reffing in the first division. It could also be a safety/security thing that he's more likely to receive personal abuse for perceived mistakes from locals there (that'd be the reason in most countries, I'm not saying its a Cork thing...)

The idea that Dublin refs are automatically pro-Dublin is complately ridiculous. Even if they did have club allegiances, do people think a, say, Bohs fan would favour Rovers against, say, Cork or Sligo?

No ref in the league is biased, even those who supported clubs in the past. Some of them are brutal, some of them are good but make mistakes. NONE of them are biased
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Pats league games by refs this season;
    If Cork haven't Alan Kelly ref since 2009, its probably down to him being the best in the league and not reffing in the first division. It could also be a safety/security thing that he's more likely to receive personal abuse for perceived mistakes from locals there (that'd be the reason in most countries, I'm not saying its a Cork thing...)
    That was my point re: 2009 - we definitely didn't have him in teh first division, I'm definitely going to have to pull out some old programmes this weekend to find out how often he reffed us in 2008/09

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    The last one I can recall is that Galway Cup replay mentioned above, turns out this was in June 2005.
    He's on here sometimes maybe he can clarify himself.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Funnily enough, the first division referees seem to be a huge bit better this season. There are still one or two very dodgy refs, but the standard of refereeing in the first division seems to have gone up somewhat. By all reports from Galway, the ref between Salthill and Harps seemed to be very good.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Poor enough first half in Dalymount but a brilliant second half. We came out at the start of the second half and totally dominated and should really have taken the lead and then once McGuinness was deservedly sent off Bohs could have won it at the end. Very enjoyable night. Good atmosphere as well. Must say fair play to the Bohs fans for supporting this young team.

It's such an awful shame that Damien Hancock was there to ruin the whole night for everyone. He was attrocious. 3 or 4 times he stopped the game to give free kicks after players had beaten their man and had a clear pitch to run into. Every game I see him ref he ruins.
    pretty much spot on verdict on friday nights fare at Dalymount. Sligo very sluggish in first half and Bohs may have just edged it (just). Second half saw Sligo pushing on and in 3/4 of the pitch they looked very impressive. With danny North well marshalled Sligo created few decent chances despite having the lions share of play (although Bohs did defend well).

Overall, a draw about fair. I think the break will do Sligo some good - both injury wise and rest wise as they looked somewhat jaded on riday night.

Decent effort by both sets of fans given the lack of goal scoring action.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    The last one I can recall is that Galway Cup replay mentioned above, turns out this was in June 2005.
    random google
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish...4071-corkcity/
    can remember him reffing Cork several times, as it was always notable

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    Sure what better way to clear it all up than to hear it from the man himself ....... Alan?
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Only got around to watching MNS now. Have to say I found their coverage of our match bizarre. Millien played a blinder, yet was almost absent from the highlights. Forced two decent saves in the first half that would have made far better highlights than some of the pointless incidents they showed, as well as whipping two dangerous crosses across the face of goal, one in either half and generally giving his man a bit of a roasting. Also amusing that they felt alright slating our lads over being mentally strong enough but couldn't find a second to mention that we played that match missing both full-backs and three starting midfielders. Stuey's pretty much written us off already - if the rest of the league feels the same I'm happy enough.
    "Even if the wind stops to blow
    Even if the sea ceases to flow
    Even if the sun ceases to rise
    The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning star glittering in the sky."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivesilver View Post
    Only got around to watching MNS now. Have to say I found their coverage of our match bizarre. Millien played a blinder, yet was almost absent from the highlights. Forced two decent saves in the first half that would have made far better highlights than some of the pointless incidents they showed, as well as whipping two dangerous crosses across the face of goal, one in either half and generally giving his man a bit of a roasting. Also amusing that they felt alright slating our lads over being mentally strong enough but couldn't find a second to mention that we played that match missing both full-backs and three starting midfielders. Stuey's pretty much written us off already - if the rest of the league feels the same I'm happy enough.
    Hard to take them too serious when they put "Dylan" up on the screen for John Dillon.

Dillon went down 3 times during the game and was eventually taken off. The Bohs striker also stayed down injured a few times during the game but there was no mention of him.

As regards to Pascal I think they could only really have shown maybe one of his shots during the first half. They're not really going to show some beating a winger unless there's a shot out of it. But I thought he was certainly the best player on the pitch.

I was hoping they'd show the Bohs winger from the first half. He got past Gaynor in the corner (not too hard to do) and had a clear run into the penalty area but instead he decided he was going to try and knock the ball back and hit it off Gaynor to get a corner. Goal kick.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Some awful decisions in the Bohs - Rovers game alright. A couple of times both teams have the advantage to attack and he brings the play back for a free. As for the linesman decision, while standing about 5 yards away, not to give North a free kick in the corner when he was clearly pulled back was one of the worst decisions Ive seen in ages.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast