Thread: Brian McDermott

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    The importance of being Cahill.

2. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Some people pronounce it like 'Kahl,' others will put an emphasis on the 'hill' part. Obviously the convention elsewhere is to say 'Kay-hill.' The pronunciation of your name is often influenced by your environment. I'd trust George Hamilton as the only English-language commentator to correctly pronounce John Carew's name.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    chas Michael michaels.

initally I was agreeing with skstu about the name cahill. my ex flatmate is one and I notice when I say it I run the 2 syllables almost as one and it does sound like kahl....but its ka-hill not kay-hill chas Michael michaels.

also osarusan for fear of being wrong abot you saying how x should be pronounced in cantonese was wrong even if you tried to cover your tracks by removing the post and going off topic chas Michael michaels was right its most definitley 'z'...for example bo xilai is bo zilai....incidently a lot of people called bo take the English name 'victor'

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It's fine for a commentator to pronounce the name as the player wants it pronounced.

However that practice doesn't apply when it comes to Icelandic names.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    So, this McDermott fella...
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Some of you may remember there was a lad named Adam Maher playing in the Eredivisie whose name was brought up here as a possible recruit, though it turned out he had Dutch and Moroccan heritage -- apparently Maher is also Dutch name which I assume is pronounced "may-her." Would any of you have a problem with a commentator pronouncing that "may-her" as opposed to the Irish way?
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Contrary to my apparent contrariness, I don't actually give a phlegm about how players want to pronounce their names or, really, how commentators want to pronounce names...

I would expect a bit of simple consistency though... I'd like Hamilton to read an article about Martin Cahill out loud and see what he says... The first sign of a Ca-hill as opposed to a Cay-hill and I would probably shake my head in disgust and walk away.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Why would you expect consistency though? If I'm mates with both Martin Cahill and Tim Cahill (hypothetically), I'm not going to stick to one pronunciation for both. I'll call Tim Kay-hill and Martin Ka-hill. It's like calling David Ginola Day-vid Gin-oh-la. It might make sense in your local dialect but in general it is completely illogical to call somebody by anything other than their actual name.

I've known Andreas who pronounce their name Andreea and Andreas who've pronounced their name Andraya. It would be insane to insist on a consistent pronunciation when clearly they are different.
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 30/04/2012 at 2:51 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    If you hadn't been introduced to them and simply seen their names on a piece of paper, you would have only had one pronunciation though. It's a poor rebuttal.

I would refer, somewhat logically, to the same name in the same way unless it was brought up as an issue. If it was an issue then I would attempt to correct but would invariably slip into default mode from time to time.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post

also osarusan for fear of being wrong abot you saying how x should be pronounced in cantonese was wrong even if you tried to cover your tracks by removing the post
    I never mentioned anything about the pronunciation being either Mandarin or Cantonese, and you were not specific about it either.

What I did do was ask my head of department, who is this woman, Xiao Rui Zhang. She told me.

Are you saying that this woman, a native speaker of Mandarin, doesn't know how to pronounce her own name, but you do?

I deleted my post to keep the thread on-topic (ironic, given the posts since).
    Last edited by osarusan; 30/04/2012 at 2:55 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    No, but you dont know which language she is speaking do you? IS it mandarin or cantonese. So when you say language it means nothing really...

If its work, well I sit right beside 2 chinese, one cantonese and one mandarin. Granted I got it the other way around, if its mandarin - which is generally what we hear on the news etc - its pronounced "Z" and if its cantonese its pronounced like "yi". Take for example Bruce Lee and Jet Li, the anglicised version becomes Lee from Cantonese, but Li from mandarin.

Basically the languages are the same, but the dialect/pronounciation is the difference, and its quite a considerable difference.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    No, but you dont know which language she is speaking do you? IS it mandarin or cantonese. So when you say language it means nothing really...

If its work, well I sit right beside 2 chinese, one cantonese and one mandarin. Granted I got it the other way around, if its mandarin - which is generally what we hear on the news etc - its pronounced "Z" and if its cantonese its pronounced like "yi". Take for example Bruce Lee and Jet Li, the anglicised version becomes Lee from Cantonese, but Li from mandarin.

Basically the languages are the same, but the dialect/pronounciation is the difference, and its quite a considerable difference.
    holy jaysus, the girl wore a name badge that said donna on it. maybe it was to avoid minefields like this everywhere she went.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    How are you doing Miley?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    How are you doing Miley?
    not bad Dinny

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    departure from Reading confirmed by the club today: http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/arti...13-708125.aspx
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Sacked. Sad to see, but chairmen get panicky around this time of year. He probably suffered, like Nigel Adkins, of achieving too much too soon. Another year in the Championship and they'd have made a much better tilt at staying up.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Fixture run in looks like this:
    Utd (a)
    Arsenal (a)
    Southampton (h)
    Liverpool (h)
    Norwich (a)
    QPR (h)
    Fulham (a)
    Man City (h)
    West Ham (a)

You wouldn't give them a prayer against the 4 in bold, so they're quite simply gonna run out of time quickly. Home match against QPR will be massive and will probably go a long way towards deciding both clubs fate.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Aye, idiocy of the highest order.

But potentially available to step into Trap's shoes...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Aye, idiocy of the highest order.

But potentially available to step into Trap's shoes...
    Yes even more stupid than Wolves sacking Mick around this time last season.
    I've seen him being quoted on here as being interested in the Ireland job; what are his Irish links?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    His parents are Irish. He says he accepted a call-up for England underage squads on the advice of his coaches at Arsenal against his better judgement, which meant he could never play for Ireland under the rules as they stood. He said he'd like to make up for it by representing Ireland as a manager but he doesn't feel he's ready yet.

24. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast