Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol Laws within football grounds in Ireland

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    You can drink in the Czech Republic too but in Spain, you can't.

I think it's down to national laws.
    Is it just football games then? As far as I know you can drink at the rugby.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L.T.F.C. View Post
    Oh... That place? Shir that was torn down in 2007, long gone!
    I refuse to call it the by its corporate name, especially since the company are shedding 100's of Irish jobs.
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    I refuse to call it the by its corporate name, especially since the company are shedding 100's of Irish jobs.
    See you're wrong there. It is its actual name. And the fact they are shedding 100s of Irish jobs has nothing to do with the sponsorship of Irish Football and Rugby.
    Sporting F*ck All!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Okay guys...give one another a quick text there and you can iron out your difficulties regarding insurance companies

Does anyone know where I can get information re: applying for a club license?

I'd also be interested in hearing how that voucher system works from any Rovers or Limerick fans. That sounds like an excellent way of doing it.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Extensive research reveals the following alcohol restrictions in Irish grounds:

Ferrycarraig – fans may only drink Chianti Riserva purchased from Mick Wallace. If ordered through the Dáil bar, no excise is liable.
    Gortakeegan – fans may take as much water as they like into the stands. Rod will turn it into wine. After he's finished walking on it.
    Tallaght Stadium – any potent cocktail with an umbrella for decoration.
    Richmond Park – only as much liquid as can be carried in an open hand. There hasn’t been a cup seen there in years.
    Terryland – home fans of both clubs share a single pint. Always plenty to go round.
    Dalymount – drink up! The barmen are looking for their win bonuses...

Other grounds – occasionally large quantities of bitter (depending on recent form, refereeing decisions, John-Delaney-hates-us navel-gazing psychosis etc).
    Any club managed by Damien Richardson – the question of whether to partake in the act of imbibing a beverage of an alcoholic nature or otherwise is fundamental the personal ethic of the imbiber, and the milieu in which he finds himself at a specific juncture in his existence...
    Any club for which Dave Rogers ‘moonlights’ – bottoms up!
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L.T.F.C. View Post
    See you're wrong there. It is its actual name. And the fact they are shedding 100s of Irish jobs has nothing to do with the sponsorship of Irish Football and Rugby.
    So where was the europa league final played?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A N Mouse View Post
    So where was the europa league final played?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_UE...a_League_Final
    The 2011 UEFA Europa League Final was a football match played on 18 May 2011 at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin, Republic of Ireland.
    Aviva Stadium, renamed to "Dublin Arena" for the 2011 UEFA Europa League final
    Sporting F*ck All!

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    It's a long standing debate within many clubs really regarding the opening of bars. On the plus side you obviously have great financial returns but on the downside it's very expensive initially to apply for a license and then you have the potential for one or two acting the maggot at games as they say.....
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    So it'll be called by the name you currently use to refer to it in perpetuity?

And say if you looked at a diffent wiki page the parent company - Lansdowne Road Stadium Development Comapany - won't be looking for new corporate sponsors in 5 or 6 years?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    I won't say there is any law in Ireland saying you can't drink at football stadiums, it would be just ground rules like no flares or pyrotechnics.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    It's a long standing debate within many clubs really regarding the opening of bars. On the plus side you obviously have great financial returns but on the downside it's very expensive initially to apply for a license and then you have the potential for one or two acting the maggot at games as they say.....
    Conditions are harder now to get an actual licence, and depends on the local regime to a certain extent. Apparently why we can't get one is to do with access to the toilets, when it would be no different to the likes of Tolka. I've no doubt it'd be a money spinner at most clubs, and also opens up other income streams such as functions.

The thing about "not within site of the pitch" is the UK law for football only. Doesn't apply to rugby, and never did. Before redevelopment Lansdowne wouldn't let you in with drink even for the Rugby (at the games I was at at least). Now they do - but I guess it's all seater now which could be part of it. Easy enough around it anyway, even in the UK. "I'll have a coke, and a double whiskey, please"

L.T.F.C. get over yourself. It was always Lansdowne, always will be. No matter who sponsors it. Fans aren't bound by the same bs rules as the media. Do you always insist on Flancare Park rather than the Flansiro?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    The bar in United Park has been closed the last 2 seasons, mores the pity. Supposedly the rates or licence fees or whatever are too expensive for the actual take at the tills.
    Dundalk 1 - "the worst team to ever play in the premier" 2 :D

Formerly skibbereen co.cork but now Oregon USA
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    You can drink in the stands in the USA and Italy, where people go around with drink in a tray for ya, although it is a little expensive and with little choice of drink.
    I think i seen somewhere but there is some Irish law against Football Association clubs selling alcohol within view of the pitch although this law does not apply to GAA, Rugby, Cricket, Basketball etc. Cos no GAA fans would be drunk and disorderly at a Leinster final in Football and attack a ref. Only Football Association fans are hooligans.
    west cork district league
    west cork commandos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by citybone View Post
    You can drink in the stands in the USA and Italy, where people go around with drink in a tray for ya, although it is a little expensive and with little choice of drink.
    I think i seen somewhere but there is some Irish law against Football Association clubs selling alcohol within view of the pitch although this law does not apply to GAA, Rugby, Cricket, Basketball etc. Cos no GAA fans would be drunk and disorderly at a Leinster final in Football and attack a ref. Only Football Association fans are hooligans.
    Not sure there is a law as such in Ireland. I think certain grounds (Aviva/Lansdowne, Croker) choose not to sell alcohol when hosting football matches (they are all mad you know). I think the pitchside ban is a club rule to (a) stop people taking out glasses (and leaving them out) and (B) prevent some numpties from throwing bottles/glasses on to the pitch - or at people. There may also be some advice/orders on the matter from our old friends the Gardai.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Surely it wouldn't be that difficult to get a couple of those rocket lads to go around selling plastic bottles of Carlsberg. There has to be some sort of legal reason stopping them, probably a prohibitively expensive license and/or need to grease palms.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Surely it wouldn't be that difficult to get a couple of those rocket lads to go around selling plastic bottles of Carlsberg. There has to be some sort of legal reason stopping them, probably a prohibitively expensive license and/or need to grease palms.
    You'd think so. Look at the success of the dogs as a night out, basically as an excuse to drink.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    CD I know they operate (rocket lads type operation) at music (and other) gigs in the O2. I think they are covered by the licence operating on the premises so need no additional licence. I suspect the boys in blue (not the Dubs ) may take a hard line on the matter (especially in Dublin grounds) under public order provisions. Seem to recall bars were always shut in Croker for footie games and think most still are in Aviva/Lansdowne (as appropriate) except at corporate levels. This most definately not the case for rugger/bogball games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Conditions are harder now to get an actual licence, and depends on the local regime to a certain extent. Apparently why we can't get one is to do with access to the toilets, when it would be no different to the likes of Tolka. I've no doubt it'd be a money spinner at most clubs, and also opens up other income streams such as functions.

The thing about "not within site of the pitch" is the UK law for football only. Doesn't apply to rugby, and never did. Before redevelopment Lansdowne wouldn't let you in with drink even for the Rugby (at the games I was at at least). Now they do - but I guess it's all seater now which could be part of it. Easy enough around it anyway, even in the UK. "I'll have a coke, and a double whiskey, please"

L.T.F.C. get over yourself. It was always Lansdowne, always will be. No matter who sponsors it. Fans aren't bound by the same bs rules as the media. Do you always insist on Flancare Park rather than the Flansiro?
    It'll be Flancare Park as long as Flancare continue to sponsor it. Flansiro is a nickname of Flancare park, which I thought was fairly self-explanatory. Regardless, if it wasn't for their sponsorship we wouldn't be as well off as we are. But if someone comes along and sponsors the ground in the next few years, I'll call it whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by citybone View Post
    In the US, they stop selling for the last quarter of NFL, the last twenty mins of a football match, and after the seventh inning of a baseball game.
    Sporting F*ck All!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    CD I know they operate (rocket lads type operation) at music (and other) gigs in the O2. I think they are covered by the licence operating on the premises so need no additional licence. I suspect the boys in blue (not the Dubs ) may take a hard line on the matter (especially in Dublin grounds) under public order provisions. Seem to recall bars were always shut in Croker for footie games and think most still are in Aviva/Lansdowne (as appropriate) except at corporate levels. This most definately not the case for rugger/bogball games.
    That's why I figure licensing must be the issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    That's why I figure licensing must be the issue.
    Not sure that bar licences (issued by the courts) would differeniate between football matches and those of rugger/bogball ? While there can be specific conditions attached to individual licence(s) I doubt a prohibition on footie games would be one.
    More likely "advice" from Gardai and/or club decision not to serve/allow drink near playing area. May have emanated from EUFA ruling for european ties which precludes (I think) serving of drink during the game, possibly extended to domestic games.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast