Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 80 of 81 FirstFirst ... 307078798081 LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 1613

Thread: Shay Given

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    He looks completely different to when he did 20 years ago.

Robbie Keane looks the same as he did 20 years ago except he has a couple more wrinkles, Dunney too.

Given looks like a different person.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    world class from 2000 to 2012
    2010 I reckon. Signs of decline were there in the second half of the Euros qualifying campaign in 2011 and very evident in the actual tournament.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I'm not sure. He had a howler against Estonia at home but then the friendly against Hungary he was amazing. In the tournament he let everyone down... wasn't fit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    A lot of discussion about playing through the pain barrier these times, Roy Keane regrets it, Mourinho expects it.

I have to say I don't hold it against Given for playing in those Euros, he obviously felt he could still perform. Just one of those things where you're a hero if you play through the pain and perform well, like Paul McGrath with his two knees hanging off, and it's thrown in your face if you make a mistake or two and you're just a selfish git.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I'm not sure. He had a howler against Estonia at home but then the friendly against Hungary he was amazing.
    He had one against Armenia too.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    The management team really should hold as much or more of the fault for the Euros I think, they should have realized the issues and gone with someone else, but maybe sentiment played a part . He's been such a great servant internationally. It's a shame he never had a real stand-out club success. Half of a First Division winning season at Sunderland, the Intertoto with Newcastle, subs bench on Man City's FA Cup run in 2011. Stayed too long at Newcastle maybe.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    One of the great under-achievers of the Premier League era I think. He definitely stayed loyal to Newcastle for too long.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Is writing a book.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-35785482.html

And then there is a book to write. Given has finally been persuaded to pen his memoirs and is meeting ghost writer Chris Brereton over the summer to refresh the brain. He wrote Jimmy White's and Steve Harmison's biographies, which are both humorous and honest - right up Given's street.

It will cover all, from helping with his father Seamus' pitch 'n' putt and door-to-door market garden businesses, his mother Agnes's death from cancer when he was just five, the highs and lows of his career, including Gary Speed's suicide, his acrimonious and difficult departure from his beloved Newcastle - "Mike Ashley might not want to buy the book" - and, of course, Saipan.

"I won't want to be too serious but I will be honest," he adds. "The publishers have come up with some topics they want me to discuss, and of course Saipan is in there. It's standard for every Irish player that was there to talk about 'f***ing Saipan'."

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    I'd say that should be F***ing Saipan and F***ing Roy Keane....

or

F***ing Roy Keane and F***ing Saipan.....

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Shay Given was on OTB today with McAteer and Kilbane. Has he decided to retire or is he still looking for a club?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Has he decided to retire or is he still looking for a club?
    Reveals all here - http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/s...ne-456739.html

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    Someone else on the panel mentioned something in passing about Given moving into punditry in the future. May have been a joke.

He made an interesting point about Imbula at Stoke in that discussion about how he's a record fee and hasn't settled there but hasn't tried. It was interesting.

The whole discussion was open. Quinn discussed some of his signings (Cana, Bent, Gyan) and how he would have had sleepless nights when parting with big bucks on players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Shay is releasing an autobiography in the near future and some extracts have been published in the Sunday Independent. Pundit Arena have re-quoted bits here and here.

On the Henry hand-ball in Paris:

Quote Originally Posted by Shay Given
    Immediately I was off, sprinting over to him. “HANDBALL, HANDBALL, REF, REF, HANDBALL!”

It was the most blatant act of cheating I’d ever seen on a football field.

I remember Kevin Kilbane hammering the referee, telling him he was a joke and that he’d just made the biggest mistake of his life. I was into him as well, giving him loads. “YOU’RE A DISGRACE. HE CHEATED, HE’S CHEATED US.”
    And on the players throwing Trap's game-plan out the window for that game:

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Barry
    Shay Given, writing in his upcoming autobiography 'Shay: Any Given Saturday', described the anguish after the first leg and what was needed to be done.

"Where had our spark gone? Where had our mischief gone?

For the second leg in Paris, Trap wanted us to remain as we had in the first match. He wanted us rigid and deep without pressing too much.

As a squad, though, we felt this was the time to roll the dice."

Given recalls the speech he gave to his teammates before they took to the field in Stade de France.

“Lads I don’t care what he [Trap] says, we’re going to go at these tonight… We’re going to f***ing go for it, we’re going to press them, we’re going to hurry them, we’re going to throw everything at them. Whatever happens, if we get beat we get f***ing beat – and nobody gets back on that bus without giving everything”

Robbie Keane echoed the goalkeeper’s sentiment.

“This is why we play boys, this is where we want to be. We go out there now and we hit them with everything we’ve got until they don’t know what the f***’s going on.”

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Strange, Darron Gibson (who had an axe to grind with Trapattoni) said before there was no mutiny in Paris: http://www.ciarano.me/post/619445566...ed-after-three
    Gibson, who came on after an hour in the game best remembered for Thierry Henry’s handball, says there was no such mutiny.“I don’t think that happened to be honest. It might have looked that way because we actually did have a proper go at them – we tried to close them down as quick as we could – and because of that and winning the ball back it looks like we were on that attack all the time.
    “It was our chance to get to the World Cup so everyone was really up for it and the nature of the game was that everyone really wanted to get through, the adrenaline maybe made it look as if we were attacking a bit more.
    “I’m not aware of any other plan, unless they had meetings without me there.”
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Maybe Given said what he said in the huddle right before the game kicked off. Gibson was on the bench and only came on in the second half, so wouldn't have been in the huddle.

Didn't Keith Andrews also say the players decided to take things into their own hands and disobey Trap's instructions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    It says in the link there that it was said before they took to the pitch, it could have been in the tunnel?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Maybe they just didn't tell Darron.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Maybe Shay is trying to sell some books. That was at the end of Trap's first campaign, where he'd turned Ireland from being a shambles into a well organised, competitive side. The players would have been pretty much eating out of his hands at that stage, maybe even still in awe of him a bit. I find it hard to believe they'd have deliberately gone against his instructions but who knows.

And what happened after that night? Why did the same players revert to type if taking matters into their own hands had worked so well?
    Last edited by DeLorean; 16/10/2017 at 6:55 PM.

22. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Well, as Danny pointed out, he's not the only one who said it. And I might be wrong but I think Richard Dunne diplomatically said something similar after the game. To be fair, it's also possible that Trap wanted them to press like that but they were concerned with the discipline side of it and hung back, when in reality they showed they can press and still hold their discipline.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah, but regardless of how many of them say it, I still think it's too convenient. If they want to take credit for a rare good performance, I think they should be obliged to take responsibility for all the crap ones too. I get the impression they're happy to let Trap take the hit for those though.

25. Thanks From:

Page 80 of 81 FirstFirst ... 307078798081 LastLast