Page 54 of 81 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1613

Thread: Shay Given

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Fair play to shay, brilliant player, great memories, thank you for your commitment, and fair play on admitting when you've gone past your best before, takes a lot to do that. all the best in the future.

Hopefully others will follow suit and we can move on and try and progress...onwards and upwards

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    I'm a little bit suprised really, thought he would stay on. It was Duffer & Dunne I thought we'd lose after the Euros.
    If Westwood is going to be back-up for Mignolet at Sunderland which I suspect he will be, then he needs to move before the end of August

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JGKyne View Post
    I'm a little bit suprised really, thought he would stay on. It was Duffer & Dunne I thought we'd lose after the Euros.
    If Westwood is going to be back-up for Mignolet at Sunderland which I suspect he will be, then he needs to move before the end of August
    If he moves he'll be moving back to the championship or to a lower league. No team in a top club will be facing into the new season without their first choice goalkeeper prepared. Backup at Sunderland or starter for a lower team, either way its not the preparation we need for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,643 Posts
    would prefer him to start for a lower team. A game is a game for a keeper. Its the one position where ability is more equal irrespective of what team you play for.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Sad to see Shay go, a superb servant and one of the players who maintained the fans respect throughout his career. He had a real connection with the fans. Unfortunately he did go out with a bad euros and I suspect that may have swayed his decision.

As for Westwood, thus far I have liked what I have seen, appears to be a good replacement. Got to take his chance now.

I fear the likes of Dunne will follow Shay now, we really really need Dunne to stay for one more campaign.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Fair play to Shay Given, he has been the Irish goalkeeper since I was twelve years old. I'm sad to see him go but I can more than understand him wanting to focus on his club career at this stage of his life given the injuries he's suffered over the past two years.

I hope Westwood plays regularly, even if he's on loan in the Championship. I don't like having an international starter being on the bench for his club team, especially at that position.

It would be nice to have an Ireland vs. England testimonial for him, he's certainly been in the top ten Premiership goalkeepers since the Premiership came into being.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    One of the greatest Irish players ever

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Thanks Shay, a true legend! Saved our backsides so so so many times over the years. Pity Euro 2012 didn't go better, but I think 2010 was the tournament that a lot of our older servants should have been at.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    The back of the bus is looking a bit bare

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/this-i...57697-Aug2012/

Tallaght Stadium Regular

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Really disappointing that he has decided to call it a day as is by far the best goalkeeper available to us. I hope Trapattoni and Tardelli get in contact with Shay after the Serbia game and try to get him to change his mind. If the other three also retire, it feels like we can write off this qualification campaign.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,249 Posts
    It'll be interesting to see how Shay gets on for Villa this season. Is he really on the way out, or was the Euros just an injury or bad form or something else.

I think he's the only one of the four potential retirees that we have a replacement for though. The other three would/will be much bigger losses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Did he not get a contract extension at Villa? One hears there are extensions ...and then there are extensions...

Okay even I don't have a clue what I'm on about there. I've seen it wrote or heard it spake, in general non-specific terms, that retiring from international football could very much sweeten a deal -especially in duration terms, in just such a circumstance as Shay finds himself.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    My understanding was that he had an agreement in principal made with McLeish when he signed that he'd retire after Euro 2012. With McLeish being sacked he wanted to assess the position of Lambert, he didn't mind what Shay did but cautioned him that Brad Guzan would be competing for his spot.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Given is on something like 60 grand a week at Villa untill June 2016.

He must have a very good agent. Is it Michael Kennedy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Not surprised at all. And like Stu said it's the one retirement I didn't fear.

Best of luck Shay. The Greatest we ever had. EVER!
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    What's all this talk about Westwood being on the bench and if he can fill Given's boots.

What about Paddy Kenny?

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    A lot of short termism based on his Euro performance around here, I'm not sure how you could be satisfied with Westwood being out number 1 given both his lack of experience and the fact that he isn't a first team starter. The other alternatives are all playing in lower leagues, there is no replacing him at this stage and this is a hit that'll be felt larger than I think many here are expecting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Sad to see Shay go. One of my favourite Irish players ever and his retirement day has been a day I've always dreaded. What a great servant he's been though. He'll be difficult to replace and will be missed big time. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't apprehensive about the future without him behind our defence. Besides his ten appearances for us, I haven't seen enough of Westwood overall to be able to judge him properly. How many of those have been full internationals?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,249 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Besides his ten appearances for us[...]How many of those have been full internationals?
    All of them (by definition!) His competitive debut was against Macedonia last year (the home game I think; not sure). Think that's his only competitive cap.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    All the grattitude in the world to Shay for 16 years and 125 appearances. Irish legend and certainly our best ever goalkeeper.

Westwood's always looked solid for us and, barring a couple of early boo-boos, for Sunderland. Wouldn't surprise me to see him oust the looper Mignolet.

Page 54 of 81 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast