Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FAI Further Pandering to Derry: Super Cup

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Clubs already stretched with a load of midweek games, they just can't fit in representative games. Shame as I always enjoyed them

If this is going ahead, it will happen on a weekend with league fixtures. So Derry will have a game postponed. Compensation will be interesting to see

Small chance for the FAI to try and piggyback some advertising for the LOI fixtures that weekend.

Don't mind Derry getting this, but there's a fair chance that most Irish Euro qualifiers would be long gone from Europe if this is August. You don't really want a situation where finishing outside the Euro places is more lucrative than qualifying
    Dodge (Real as opposed to the imposter named PartySaint :-) ) - I'd actually forgotten the packed schedule for teams. It can help the LOI (piggybacking) though I wonder what are the restrictions from the organisers?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    It would be better to send a club side who are used to playing together rather than a mixed club team. Rightfully should be either the current league champs or FAI cup unless they have clashing European games. Don't mind Derry getting it but they should be getting it but not for the sole reason that they were blocked from Europa cup by UEFA as they could get more revenue for these few games as they do from europe
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I don't have a problem with the next placed team not in europe getting the place. However, it's not great optics that a team that was refused a licence gets the publicity (and possibly a pay day) of taking part. Especially coming after the FAI went out of their way to help them get a UEFA licence despite them clearly being in breach of the requirements.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    I don't have a problem with the next placed team not in europe getting the place. However, it's not great optics that a team that was refused a licence gets the publicity (and possibly a pay day) of taking part. Especially coming after the FAI went out of their way to help them get a UEFA licence despite them clearly being in breach of the requirements.
    I think the above is fair comment.

I've always had a soft spot for Derry, so this isn't directed at them per se, but for the UEFA ruling to be fully coherent isn't it incumbent upon the FAI to make sure that Derry don't profit in any way from a good associated with European qualification?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Precisely. Someone want to dig out a quote where the FAI or Fran Gavin have said this is compensation?
    Yeah, it's only Daniel McDonnell saying it'd be compensation for the moment.

Given the FAI have previously had the LoI team bussed in from another ground's changing rooms, have (I think?) not paid any of the LoI players for taking part and even (it's been rumoured here) not paid insurance for the players to play in the game, it's doubtful they'll turn around and give Derry a big cheque for taking part.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    If the ruling is that the best placed team who didn't qualify for Europe should get the spot, and Derry were deemed to be ineligible for Europe for the reasons we know, then shouldn't this offer go to Bray? The word "compensation" doesn't need to come into it in order for that logic to stand up. I think...

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Well, no. Derry were the best-placed team who didn't qualify for Europe. You don't a UEFA Licence to compete in the Super Cup thingy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Have to agree with my fellow corkie. A good call by the FAI
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gormacha View Post
    If the ruling is that the best placed team who didn't qualify for Europe should get the spot, and Derry were deemed to be ineligible for Europe for the reasons we know, then shouldn't this offer go to Bray? The word "compensation" doesn't need to come into it in order for that logic to stand up. I think...
    As said by others, UEFA licence isn't required for the Super Cup. It's a fair call. In terms of fixtures, it requires freeing up one weekend for that club, should be manageable. Going forward, it should be a decent incentive to chase a Super Cup spot at the very least, when missing out on Europe.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

Given the FAI have previously had the LoI team bussed in from another ground's changing rooms, have (I think?) not paid any of the LoI players for taking part and even (it's been rumoured here) not paid insurance for the players to play in the game, it's doubtful they'll turn around and give Derry a big cheque for taking part.
    It's hype up season for the league so DMcD is doing his bit for the boys!

PS, not wanting to rain on your parade, but the LOI players were paid for last year. I know that the sum was doubled after some discussions, though the coaches weren't able to have a dressing room for the "home" team for the match. Disgusting, but this is what happens to the punchbags in such events. Don't know about insurance, though legally this would leave the FAI open (and the Aviva stadium people - and IRFU) open to massive costs, so I'm sure they covered it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12